• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's either one or the other.

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So I've been putting really well recently. (even though my Putt360 scores don't reflect it)

So what happens? My drives are all over the place.

Why is it always one or the other?

I would rather have better putting than driving as long as the second shot is still ok

A while back I was wondering what the difference was between me and the top pros. I have long drives and I have hit the basket from 50 feet. The difference is that they put together strings of great throws consistently. I usually have one great throw every hole. But some rounds click. Just go with it. One day you will play a round when you are driving and putting well simultaneously. Those will be the rounds you never forget.

Yeah sometimes I rock the drives and mess the putts up and other times i can have a crappy first throw. I am in the same boat. I need consistent throws for every toss.

My disc golf game is like that sometimes too. Ball golf.....all of the time!

I'm pretty sure the man upstairs just has a funny sense of humor - don't want you to get too prideful and confident in your game. :)

I have no doubt that everyone experiences this issue. And on those days where it all clicks, and you shoot the round of your life, it's what keeps you coming back again and again. You always know you can do it. so you get up and try again the next day.

If I can get at least one good shot I can go home pretty happy. Weather it's a good putt or upshot or a spectacular drive. I need at least one thing to work for me during a round.

That's why ams are ams and pros are pros. Otherwise we'd all be pros. Sometimes, when everything is clicking, we seem like pros; but a short while later we return to our am ways.
DSCJNKY

It's not "either one or the other". It could be argued that the approach is the most important part of the game.

...drive, approach, putt

Given the choice, I would rather have a day of great driving. The thing that demoralizes me most is one of those days when you're hitting the first tree on every hole. A 50-foot tee shot into the shule is much harder to recover from, at least for me, than a missed putt. I think it's because that missed tee shot ruins the whole hole, whereas when you miss a putt, you're usually left with a drop-in and you can put the mistake behind you. But I dunno. Maybe it's just me.

I dont know bout all of you but if i can drive a 5' putt everytime id be happy with that.... i sure wish i could do that though.. i stink the course up usually :(

No matter what I would rather putt better than drive better. A bad drive always leaves a chance of recovery. A bad putt leaves you with another stroke.

It's not "either one or the other". It could be argued that the approach is the most important part of the game.

...drive, approach, putt

Agreed sidewinding! I am fairly accurate with my drives, but throw a little under 300ft on avg, and my putting, although starting to improve, isn't the best. I have won many casual rounds with my approach game. I don't have the distance, and I'm not sinking 30ft putts all day, so learning to throw a nice approach from a variety of situations has really been what keeps me in the game.

No matter what I would rather putt better than drive better. A bad drive always leaves a chance of recovery. A bad putt leaves you with another stroke.

Very well put TalbotTrojan! That last line sums it up perfectly.