• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

jmdaire27 ITB 2018

jmdaire27

Double Eagle Member
I was going to start a new one of these at some point this season, so I might as well do it now. With it being warm I've begun to play a little more regularly (once or twice a week). I have my season planned out with a few tourneys I'd like to do. At any rate, I am hoping to keep up with this for the season, with updates for tourneys/leagues/some casuals, since I seem to change my bag way too often. I will probably always throw Envies and Truths, but can't/tend-to-not commit to much else on a long term basis.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 10+ years, tourneys for ~6 years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, minimal FH, limited tommy's, I think thumbers are uncomfortable and don't throw them, love forehand rollers.
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Love throwing Envies around (up to) 280'; Truths around 330', Controlled distance is up to 380', maxing out around 400'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Bad wrist, limits my forehand ability. Occasional annoying back pain. I get frustrated a little easy, but only let it effect myself.
Other sport proficiencies?: Hockey a lot, but I like playing anything and everything.
Additional Information: Big into drumming. Hoping to get my 1 year old pup Mika onto the course more this season.
p9sZHoPm.jpg

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I consistently structure my bag the same and it works regularly. I dislike how often I seem to change things...
Specific areas of desired feedback: just general comments, really. Obviously discs vary even within the same mold, so, no one will be throwing the same things I am. Open to any comments though!
Immediate and long-term goals: I would just like to be more consistent. I want a consistent putting stroke. I need to not get tense when trying to throw far, which I've begun working on and already feel smoother.

G1sQd2Jl.jpg

Core will look like:
Judge (2-3), Envy(1-3), Zone (1-2)
Truth (2-3), Quake (1-2)
Patriot (1-2), Teebird3 (1-3), Firebird (1-2)
Wraith (1-4), Enforcer (1-2)

But I will switch between the C (~16) and B (~20) Grips depending on need. Differences in same mold typically from wear/PLH.

Today!...
27 at Lincoln Park. Lots of snow still, but warm. Casual round. C Grip:

Wraith, 175 Star, Flip-up Distance
Wraith, 170 Star, Straight Distance
Wraith, 175 Star, Straight to OS Distance
Enforcer, 174 Bio, OS Distance

Patriot, 171 Icon, US Control
Teebird3, Star 175, Straight Control
Firebird, Champ 175, OS Control

Truth, 179 OG Bio, Straight-US Mid
Truth, 179 EMac Bio, Straight-OS Mid
Quake, 179 Pro, OS Mid

Envy, 174 Proton, Straight Putter Drives
Zone, 174 ESP, OS Putter Drives
Judge, 174 Soft, Upshots

Judge, 174 Prime, Putter
Judge, 174 Prime, Putter

alright if youre open to any comments

why do you choose tb3 over a thb or pd

would you be more consistent with just a cycle of judges for putter spot

thats a good lookin pooch too

alright if youre open to any comments

why do you choose tb3 over a thb or pd
I guess I never debated between those specifically. I used to throw Undertakers but Z sucks in the cold/wet. Wanted to try the ST3s. I don't think they are as OS as ThBs or PDs. I've thrown PDs in the past, and they were decent, but that 10 speed is a weird spot for me. I am kind of picky on some dumb things (like rim widths and speeds).

would you be more consistent with just a cycle of judges for putter spot
Tried this previously. I can't comfortably/consistently release judges from a power grip. They are just fine in a fan grip, especially since they are pretty neutral. The Envy is more comfortable in a power grip, IMO, comes out clean, and I've been throwing them for years (have my only 2 aces on one Envy). So, I'm fine having an extra mold, with throwing and putting putters. Also, although it wasn't implied, I'll add that I like to throw premium plastic and putt baseline. Another dumb picky thing I guess. :D

thats a good lookin pooch too
Thanks! She's the first pup I've ever owned and she is awesome!

Cheers

Two round Carlton DG Sanctuary Fundraiser event. Would be sweet to make that course 18 holes! Event is at the Grand View Golf Course temp course. In the B.

Wraith, 175 Champ, beat Flippy Distance
Wraith, 175 Star, Flip-up Distance
Wraith, 170 Star, Straight Distance
Wraith, 175 Star, Straight to OS Distance
Enforcer, 174 Bio, OS Distance

Patriot, 171 Icon, US Control
Patriot, 175 Icon, US-Stable Control
Firebird, Champ 175, OS Control

Truth, 179 OG Bio, Straight-US Mid
Truth, 179 OG Bio, Straight Mid
Truth, 179 EMac Bio, Straight-OS Mid
Quake, 179 Pro, OS Mid

Envy, 174 Proton, Straight Putter Drives
Envy, 175 Proton, Straight-OS Putter
Zone, 174 ESP, OS Putter Drives
Judge, 174 Soft, Upshots

Judge, 174 Prime, Putter
Judge, 174 Prime, Putter

Today was an awesome day! The temp course was super fun. Shot -1 and -3 round 1 and 2 on the 18 hole course. Put me tied 5th out of 25 in "pro" (either pro or am were the options...). Played really well. Missed only a couple putts, with only two 4s and one 5 out of 36 holes! Boom!

One little bump in the road (as far as the bag goes) is the acquisition of two K3 Rekos. I've always considered trying out the Reko, as I feel it could eliminate the Judge and Envy, possibly (but they are a bit expensive, typically). I like the way it feels, but will see how they fly. I'd like a premium to see how it flies compared to the Envy. So.. that could be a change in the near future, but a possible good one. Also, the puddle top zone is a beefcake, and I think i'd Like a straighter counterpart.

Been a couple months, and things have come full circle. Last update in my last ITB thread I was throwing the Trespass and Verdicts. Have since gone back to them, but not without other trials. Admittedly, I feel limited by the trespass. As I rip it now, on a power throw, it's flippy. Currently have 4. Also, the extra distance I can get out of it compared to the Undertaker is kind of small. Additionally, the stability gap between the Trespass and Enforcer is quite large. My current thought is trying a Destroyer gamut (although they feel deep after throwing the trespass for a while... as did the wraith), or Outlaw/Tern (since they both have a shallower grip, just a slightly wider rim). Time will tell.

Anywho, the Airborne Classic at Tjader Acres is tomorrow. Two rounds of (I believe) 20 holes (but at least 18). I am excited. Weather is looking great. As I am only 910 rated, I am doing Intermediates. With how I feel about my current game, I am really looking forward to getting that higher this year (4 tourneys planned, maybe a couple more later). Since it'll be a hike and the course is heavily wooded, I am leaning towards just bringing the C grip, and load it heavy on putters and mids. With that, It will look like this (although a few things may change..)

Judge Prime 174 putts and ups
Judge Prime 174 putts and ups
Envy N 173 drives and ups
Envy P 175 drives and ups
Zone ESP 174 ups and outs

Truth Lucid 177 flippy mid
Truth Lucid 176 straight mid
Truth Lucid 176 straight mid
Verdict Lucid 177 straight to fade
Verdict Lucid 177 overstable mid

Patriot Icon 175 flippy control
Undertaker ESP 172 straight control
Undertaker FRZ 174 straight to fade
Stal K1 Overstable control

Trespass Lucid 174 flippy distance
Trespass Lucid 175 stable distance
Enforcer Bio 174 overstable distance

Bagged a few more in the B for the tourney. All I wanted to do was shoot at or above my rating... but I failed. Shot like ish. Well, drove like ish. Putting was on. I feel very confident to 20-25ft. The very wooded course just took its toll. Wasn't until the middle of the second round I felt good throwing straight and was consistent with my follow through, but I got tired soon after that! Long day! Between my two groups we probably encountered/saw/removed ~40 ticks, though... Deer and wood. Hate those things. They are really bad early and late season, so I expected it.

FWIW, I enjoyed my groups and had fun and finished 4th in Int (out of 16), despite not throwing well.

Amateur Majestic is this weekend. Suppose this is a mid tourney update. It's a two day, two round event. B tier. I'm playing Int, 56 players. Today was at Bethel University. Fun course. Tomorrow is at BRP, and we will play holes 1-19. Good news is I'm currently in the lead in Int! Shot a 55 (-1, 956 rated) and there is a 56, couple 57s... so! Here's what I threw and will throw tomorrow! OS to US.

Enforcer Bio, 174 - didn't throw it rd 1
Trespass Fusion, 174 - burst, pretty, one throw
Trespass Fusion, 168 - hyzer shot over water
Trespass Lucid, 174 - one throw
Trespass Lucid, 175 - bomber, couple shots
Trespass Lucid, 168 - US, unthrown rd 1

Stal K1, 175 - one out of trouble shot rd 1
Undertaker FRZ, 174 - flat, unthrown rd 1
Undertaker FRZ, 174 - one shot rd 1
Undertaker Z, 174 - couple straight shots
Undertaker ESP, 172 - hyzer flipper
Patriot Icon, 172 - US, not thrown rd 1

Verdict Lucid, 179 - fresh, not thrown rd 1
Verdict Lucid, 177 - worn, not thrown rd 1
Truth E-Lucid, 178 - unthrown rd 1
Truth OG-Lucid, 177 - workhorse rd 1
Truth Lucid, 177 - US, couple shots rd 1

Zone ESP, 174 - concave, beef, unthrown
Envy P, 174 - fresh, unthrown rd 1
Envy N, 173 - worn, couple upshots

Judge Prime, 174 - putts and ups
Judge Prime, 174 - putts and ups

Went into the second round with the same bag. However, the result was much different. Where I was hitting gaps and putts on Saturday, I hit trees and missed putts on Sunday. Threw very poorly and dropped from first to (tied) 6th. The round was 891 rated, so I averaged around 923 for the weekend, about what I expect (and wish I was...). Oh well, was first for a day, but 6th out of 56 is still pretty solid.

I really think I'm going to drop/modify some molds. I really only threw the Truth, Undertaker, and Trespass. I'd like to go down to one Putter mold (not including the zone). Envy is too OS for my liking for a Putter, and the judge is a bit deep for a thrower. I felt up some crowns this weekend, and they feel pretty nice. Think I'll try to invest in a couple, see if they can't knock out both the judge and envy (since it flies similar to a judge, seems just a little flatter on top).

Thinking of something like Trespass, Machete, Undertaker, Truth, Zone, [Crown]. Time will tell.

Played 18 (two 9s) with

3 Trespass (1 Fuz, 2 Luc)
2 Machete (2 Z)
4 Undys (2 FRZ, 1 Z, 1 ESP)
3 Truths (EM Luc, OG Luc, Luc)*
2 Zones (Puddle ESP, ESP)
3 Judges (Soft, 2 Prime)

All discs within 3% of max weight.

I'll say... I played a course I play all the time, so it wasn't much of a testament to trying the minimal set up. There is one hole I usually throw a Verdict (BH), but I threw the Machete on a FH, and it gave me just as much of a chance for a bird (kind of a spray and pray hole, no real line...). I threw as well as normal (even to -2).

*I'll make the Truth distinction: EM Luc = modern day EMac Truth, OG Luc = original EMac Truth (5/5/0/2 flight #s, small silhouette, best truths made), and just Luc = modern US (5/5/-1/1) Truth.

Played with the same bag at leagues. Threw pretty well. Biggest upset was missing a 17' downhill putt for a birdie. Woulda put me -4 for the 18, but -3 isn't bad. Tied third. Made me break even for the night!

Simple bag. Simple choices. I more often than not step on a tee with two discs, although they are usually the same mold, just different stability, and I don't typically debate long.

Still happy with it. Keep on rollin.

Same bag (essentially) for leagues at the Quarry last night. Finished 4 of 12, last cash (money back). Good enough.

Anywho, I come here looking for suggestions today. Premise: I like the Judge for putting. However, it's not comfortable as a power grip thrower (not even really in a fan grip, maybe cuz the bead? Idk...).

My current quest has me looking for a Putter that'll serve as a Putter and approach/thrower. Looking for:

- shallow (~1.4 cm)
- flat top (no big shoulders)
- small to no bead
- prefer slower, ~2
- good for loft/push/spush putts
- similar judge stability (maybe little turn, little fade)
- comes in premium and stiff base plastic. (Don't like "give" in the flightplate when putting)
- (Not a fan of the Black MVP rims...... nuance)

Considering trying the Pure, although it's pretty quick. Maybe P1x? The Rune looks interesting. The Spike? I love the envy, but it's a bit (O)stable for my liking (as a Putter).

Just looking for thoughts! Feel free to chime in :)

Last edited:
Same bag (essentially) for leagues at the Quarry last night. Finished 4 of 12, last cash (money back). Good enough.

Anywho, I come here looking for suggestions today. Premise: I like the Judge for putting. However, it's not comfortable as a power grip thrower (not even really in a fan grip, maybe cuz the bead? Idk...).

My current quest has me looking for a Putter that'll serve as a Putter and approach/thrower. Looking for:

- shallow (~1.4 cm)
- flat top (no big shoulders)
- small to no bead
- prefer slower, ~2
- good for loft/push/spush putts
- similar judge stability (maybe little turn, little fade)
- comes in premium and stiff base plastic. (Don't like "give" in the flightplate when putting)
- (Not a fan of the Black MVP rims...... nuance)

Considering trying the Pure, although it's pretty quick. Maybe P1x? The Rune looks interesting. The Spike? I love the envy, but it's a bit (O)stable for my liking (as a Putter).

Just looking for thoughts! Feel free to chime in :)

I guess consider the Proxy if the Envy is too OS.

Also I would say that the Deputy might be a good option, but again I think it's considered a 3-speed for throwing. Also potentially might not be as flat or shoulder-less as you're looking for, but I can say for sure that it is very comfy in hand.

I guess consider the Proxy if the Envy is too OS.

Also I would say that the Deputy might be a good option, but again I think it's considered a 3-speed for throwing. Also potentially might not be as flat or shoulder-less as you're looking for, but I can say for sure that it is very comfy in hand.

If Proxy was out in E-firm, I wouldn't be having this issue! Lol

We'll go like this: Disc - flight numbers (according to me...)

Leagues again this week. Yesterday at the quarry. Little bit easier layout, so scoring was better all around. I improved from +4 (last week) to +1, but didn't cash. Started the round on hole 9 long, drive fell short but canned a ~50 foot downhill putt. Definitely gave me some confidence that dissipated as the round progressed. Oh well. Still had fun and the weather was perfect. Bag looks the same, but...

Trespass - 12/5/-2/2 - couple tee shots
Trespass - 12/5/-1/3 - one tee shot
Trespass - 12/5/-0.5/3 - one tee shot

Machete - 10/4/0/4 - no need
Machete - 10/4/0/3 - no need

Undertaker - 8/5/-2/1 - couple shots
Undertaker - 8/5/-1/1.5 - couple shots
Undertaker - 8/5/-0.5/2 - one tee shot
Undertaker - 8/5/0/2.5 - no go

Truth - 5/5/-1/1 - couple tee shots
Truth - 5/5/-1/2 - couple shots
Truth - 5/5/0/2 - one shot
Truth - 5/5/0/2.5 - no go

Zone - 4/3/0/3 - couple shots
Zone - 4/3/0/4 - puddle top, no go

Judge - Soft - no go
Judge - Prime pair - came out to play early, then fell off...

that was kind of fun. Maybe I'll do this again. I'm heading for Iceland this weekend for a week. Mainly going to hike, but I think I'll bring an N Envy and hopefully throw a course or two.

Is Mika playing much with you? I started my pup at 7 weeks 4 days old. He's been playing over 4 years now. Longer than a lot of posters here, lol!

Also, if you carry an envy for one disc rounds overseas, why wouldn't you bag it all the time?

Is Mika playing much with you? I started my pup at 7 weeks 4 days old. He's been playing over 4 years now. Longer than a lot of posters here, lol!

Also, if you carry an envy for one disc rounds overseas, why wouldn't you bag it all the time?

I really like bringing her out, but the quarry has a lot of broken glass everywhere, plus it's really rocky/unstable. I still bring her to the other local courses on the regular. So I guess she's been coming out with me a solid year now!

Envy is a great one Disc round Disc. However, it kind of overlaps with the judge/zone/Truth. It's probably my favorite Disc and is very versitaile, but I feel like it is unnecessary in a full bag at times.

On that note, ordered a lucid judge to give a go for putter drives... cuz why not.

Cheers!

I guess my dog is a bit more intense than others, lol! He crashes, high speed, through areas I'd rather not go! It sucks to have the broken gl*******s. Keep getting Mika out. They love it and it teaches you patience which helps with golf.

I will forever bag my favorite disc. I couldn't imagine not throwing the one disc I love the most. That seems like torture, lol!

Took the Lucid Judge (and a prime) out to a short course to get some testing with it for Putter drives. This was maybe done reluctantly.

I'll say, I was pleasantly surprised. I was worried about hand feel, but, it honestly felt only a little different (deeper, noticeable bead) than an Envy. I was getting clean releases with it, too. Had an ace run. I must admit.... it could "do."

Been debating trying an Anvil in place of the zone. TBD.

The Lake Superior Open is this weekend. Supposed to be super isshy out both Sat and Sun.... makes me sad but everyone has to deal with the same conditions...

I'll update a Tourney bag tomorrow or Saturday... cheers

I really like bringing her out, but the quarry has a lot of broken glass everywhere, plus it's really rocky/unstable. I still bring her to the other local courses on the regular. So I guess she's been coming out with me a solid year now!

Envy is a great one Disc round Disc. However, it kind of overlaps with the judge/zone/Truth. It's probably my favorite Disc and is very versitaile, but I feel like it is unnecessary in a full bag at times.

On that note, ordered a lucid judge to give a go for putter drives... cuz why not.

Cheers!
This is how I felt about the envy as well. I was super excited to try it as it sounded right up my alley, as I throw lots of forehands and backhands.

I was very disappointed when I actually threw it. It seemed like I could throw every shot it covers with my wizards/judges or harps/zones. It also seemed fast for a putter, which is why I stopped bagging the Pure. Too fast for short throws at times.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Latest posts