• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JomezPro Acquired by DGPT

As a game disc golf may well have evolved organically; Ed Hedrick, by virtue of inventing the pole hole and founding the PDGA, was one of, if not THE, driving force behind the evolution from a casual game to an organized sport.

Sure, it would have taken longer for frisbee golf to grow without his assistance, but it was doing alright on its own.

We are thrilled to announce that this year's 50th AFDO (formerly the RFDO) will be a Silver Series Event on the Disc Golf Pro Tour! We decided to revert the name back to the "American Flying Disc Open" for it's 50th anniversary. Disc Golf Hall of Famer Jim Palmeri (PDGA #23) first ran the AFDO event in 1974

https://grdgc.org/events/50th-american-flying-disc-open/

Sure, it would have taken longer for frisbee golf to grow without his assistance, but it was doing alright on its own.

https://grdgc.org/events/50th-american-flying-disc-open/

Assuming that, in the absence of pole holes, and the PDGA (not to mention the beveled edge disc), frisbee golf would have survived and evolved into a competitive sport resembling the modern game, which, given Stork Roddick's description of the first AFDO, not to mention the precipitous drop in attendance between 1974 (52) and 1975 (10), is likely a highly questionable assumption.

Steady Ed founded the sport to get away from the tryhards in the other Frisbee sports and throw in the park with some friends while chugging some beers.

Jomez started with just bringing a camera to worlds one day and filming because he was passionate about both disc golf and filming.

Most tournament organisers try to just get even with their events and put surplus money into players packages or price money.

Maybe you are talking about disc manufacturers? In all other aspects i think you are just wrong.

They all started out of altruism but none of them can continue indefinitely without making some money. Same goes for me designing courses- were I not able to profit from it there is no way I could afford to continue to do it even though I started out doing it for free in the 90's. With money comes accountability as well (in many/most cases)- we can (and should) expect more from people getting paid for a task than from someone simply volunteering their limited time.

They all started out of altruism but none of them can continue indefinitely without making some money. Same goes for me designing courses- were I not able to profit from it there is no way I could afford to continue to do it even though I started out doing it for free in the 90's. With money comes accountability as well (in many/most cases)- we can (and should) expect more from people getting paid for a task than from someone simply volunteering their limited time.

I took a 11 on a par 5 you designed I'd like to complain about it. Just kidding it was a fun course and it kicked my butt, were it not so far away I'd play it more.

I get the feeling there's not much profit in what goes into course design so I'm still putting it in that grey area of volunteer/passion motive.

Simping for Steady?

If giving credit where credit is due is "simping," absolutely.

While one could plausibly argue that the contributions of other pioneers have been downplayed or overlooked, but a historically credible story of the transformation of frisbee golf from a casual pastime into an organized sport cannot be told without acknowledging Steady Ed as a prime mover in that transformation.

Would someone else eventually have invented a pole hole-like contraption, and someone else eventually have founded an organization like the PDGA? Would Wham-o have funnelled tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars into marketing frisbee sports without Steady Ed's championing? Maybe. Like it or not, Steady Ed did all three (and more), rendering such speculation moot.

You don't have to have liked Steady Ed or his influence on development of disc golf as a sport, but it's arrant nonsense to assert that the sport was doing fine without his involvement.

On latest Upshot Eisenhood mentions DGPT/DGN layoffs and reduction/elimination of their non-live content division. Perhaps these salaries were made redundant with Jomez acquisition? Or speak to continued financial precarity with the end of the COVID-boom/Ryan lawsuits?

Last edited:
On latest Upshot Eisenhood mentions DGPT/DGN layoffs and reduction/elimination of their non-live content division. Perhaps these salaries were made redundant with Jomez acquisition? Or speak to continued financial precarity with the end of the COVID-boom/Ryan lawsuits?
Buyouts/mergers always come with a big pile of layoffs as there are inevitably multiple redundant roles. I'm still blown away dgpt can even put on events though. Their equipment coordinator position for event setup and teardown is way below the going rate with no production bonuses.

Buyouts/mergers always come with a big pile of layoffs as there are inevitably multiple redundant roles. I'm still blown away dgpt can even put on events though. Their equipment coordinator position for event setup and teardown is way below the going rate with no production bonuses.
My experience has been that the bulk of the DGPT event management labor is being done by the pre-existing local tournament staff/volunteers with DGPT mainly handling camera set-up and (sometimes) ticketing.

My experience has been that the bulk of the DGPT event management labor is being done by the pre-existing local tournament staff/volunteers with DGPT mainly handling camera set-up and (sometimes) ticketing.
Since we were an off-season Silver Series at Lake Marshall we got the skeleton crew. I was still pretty blown away by the amount of resources they brought in and the guys they did send worked their tails off along with us on course setup, etc. Frankly I was expecting much less of them.

Pretty sure they always handle ticketing and payout.

Jonathan Gomez doing ad reads for DraftKings with a Jomez promo code on the DGPT videos. Pitching college football gambling, not disc golf. I assume they just bit on the general DraftKings partnership blast that went out to targeted creators but still an interesting step.

Jonathan Gomez doing ad reads for DraftKings with a Jomez promo code on the DGPT videos. Pitching college football gambling, not disc golf. I assume they just bit on the general DraftKings partnership blast that went out to targeted creators but still an interesting step.
His ad reads look like hostage videos to me.

I really hate that you can't watch sports without seeing gambling ads all over the place lately. I saw that jomez promo and it really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I really hate that you can't watch sports without seeing gambling ads all over the place lately. I saw that jomez promo and it really left a bad taste in my mouth.
Nice part about YT is you can fast forward through the 'commercials'. I can 'slide' the bar at the bottom, watch the little viewscreen, and stop advancing when the 'commercial' is over.

Nice part about YT is you can fast forward through the 'commercials'. I can 'slide' the bar at the bottom, watch the little viewscreen, and stop advancing when the 'commercial' is over.
I also love this feature.

Latest posts