• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Resistance is futile

They do list coverage of the European Open on their schedule. Not 100% the schedule is final, so you may want to sign up for updates.

So as far as the new pdga rule where everybody has to keep track of score, are the players inputting all their data for the stat tracking also or will there be volunteers doing it at DGPT events?

Seems like a pain to make players do it while inputting scores but also seems silly to make players all keep track of scores only to have somebody inputting data…just not scores…

So as far as the new pdga rule where everybody has to keep track of score, are the players inputting all their data for the stat tracking also or will there be volunteers doing it at DGPT events?

Seems like a pain to make players do it while inputting scores but also seems silly to make players all keep track of scores only to have somebody inputting data…just not scores…
I would be shocked to death if the players are doing it. The fact that they wouldn't willingly keep score is what got us the new stupid rule.

I think you'd also see a lot of "fudging." Did that land in C1 or parked? If I want a really gaudy parked number, I'm going to record anything close as parked, but if I want to bump up my C1X, I'll say it landed outside of 3.3m. The only way that the stats will be relevant is for a neutral party to record the information.

I think you'd also see a lot of "fudging." Did that land in C1 or parked? If I want a really gaudy parked number, I'm going to record anything close as parked, but if I want to bump up my C1X, I'll say it landed outside of 3.3m. The only way that the stats will be relevant is for a neutral party to record the information.
That still occurs with the volunteers doing it.

Right, that's what I'm getting at. There are obvious issues with players inputting their own stat data, so makes sense to have a volunteer do it.

But if you have a volunteer inputting stat data you might as well have them keeping score also. Just seems like the two ideas were independent of each other and not really thought about how well they would mesh together.

Right, that's what I'm getting at. There are obvious issues with players inputting their own stat data, so makes sense to have a volunteer do it.

But if you have a volunteer inputting stat data you might as well have them keeping score also. Just seems like the two ideas were independent of each other and not really thought about how well they would mesh together.
The two ideas were certainly independent of each other. I disagree that a volunteer doing stats should also be able to keep score. The stats are arbitrary and unimportant to most people other than the broadcasters. IMO if we are going to go with the idea that everyone has to keep score the players (or their caddie) themselves should be required to do it. Also should be immediately DQ'ed on the Tour for turning in an incorrect card but that is a different issue.

I think, as happened a few times last season, you will see a scoring discrepency between a volunteer and players' score-keeping. I don't think the new rule prohibits that, or an official stepping into to question a score, but the emphasis of players' keeping score is a good change (at least at the pro level).

That still occurs with the volunteers doing it.

Absolutely. You see it in professional scorekeeping in other sports as well, particulary in baseball when a pitcher has a no-hitter going. It just isn't a good idea to have a professional sport where players are in charge of their own statistics. At least with neutral stat keepers the mistakes will (in theory) even out.

The two ideas were certainly independent of each other. I disagree that a volunteer doing stats should also be able to keep score. The stats are arbitrary and unimportant to most people other than the broadcasters. IMO if we are going to go with the idea that everyone has to keep score the players (or their caddie) themselves should be required to do it. Also should be immediately DQ'ed on the Tour for turning in an incorrect card but that is a different issue.
I kind of like how golf does it. Record a score lower than the correct one and you get DQ'd. Record a score higher than the correct score and the higher score is accepted.

I kind of like how golf does it. Record a score lower than the correct one and you get DQ'd. Record a score higher than the correct score and the higher score is accepted.
DG was similar for a bit- 2 strokes for turning in a better score and no penalty but you get what you turned in for worse. This was back in the one paper scorecard days though. Am i correct in thinking that PGA players don't actually have to add their scores but just turn in the hole scores?

There are plenty of gambling opportunities available without them. We will certainly have wagering on winners and stroke based stuff well prior to being able to bet on whether Eagle lands within the circle on Hole 8.

Entering stats at all and entering them correctly will be important for legit gambling to develop.
Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I understand having stats allows players to see how they stack up, but in reality most pros know where their strengths and weaknesses are.

I definitely see stats adding value to the broadcast side of things.

Stats need to be consistent and reliable for gambling to work. I could care less, don't participate in sports betting…not opposed to it, just choose to spend my money elsewhere.

If the big push for stat tracking is just to get gambling involved and the potential revenue stream generated…I'm not sure how that sits with me.

I could see a tour policy where players in groups being covered by video teams are required to do stats. Entering stats would be optional for all other players unless their sponsors make it a requirement for all rounds. In addition, the DGPT could create incentives for players to enter stats if they want a chance at monetary prizes based on their ranking in various yearend tour stats.

I could see a tour policy where players in groups being covered by video teams are required to do stats. Entering stats would be optional for all other players unless their sponsors make it a requirement for all rounds. In addition, the DGPT could create incentives for players to enter stats if they want a chance at monetary prizes based on their ranking in various yearend tour stats.
Literally zero chance of the DGPT asking the poor dears to do stats. Local volunteers will continue to bear the responsibility for keeping stats.

Jeff Spring was on Smashboxx podcast a last week and got into the DGPT live scoring & stat keeping in PDGA live around 1:30:00 in. He mentions that stat keepers will login differently than the competing golfers and then not trigger notifications for scoring discrepancies to the competitors (discussion around 1:38:00) when keeping stats.

Last edited:
I participated in entering in stats at 4 (European) tour events last year, it's really Not A Big Deal™.

But then again I grew up with udisc, am technologically literate and have never used a paper scorecard.

Being very sports literate, I see a future in which suited gentlemen go tell Babe Ruth that Big Louie bet on him batting so and so many wickets in the third inning, so if he knows what's best for him etc., then they cross the street to tell Calvin Heimburg how many C1X putts to land.

Latest posts