• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just discovered Disc Golf, very humbled by this game

I used to play ball golf, but my clubs are getting dusty & rusty since I found this game. So welcome to your new addiction.

Go light. Except for your putter. I can never recommend a Champion 150g Leopard enough. The Leopard is beginner friendly and can go quite far. I prefer Champion because although it will take a little longer to break in than cheaper plastic. As a beginner it will take a ton of the knocks & dings off of everything but the basket a whole lot better without changing its flight and feel.

Find a mid you like; the Buzzz, or Roc are the 2 most popular. They do pretty much the same thing but they feel quite a bit different in the hand. I suggest if you have a local disc retailer that sells both, see which one feels more comfortable in your hand. If you must buy on line, try both. Chances are 1 of them will remain in your bag forever. I'd go a little heavier with the mid. Again I prefer better plastic but you might go a little cheaper if you try both.

I can't help you with putting because I suck at it. Practice, practice, practice. I don't, I should, and that's why I suck.

And by all means watch videos to get a better understanding of form as well as a million other things.

Find some local disc golfers and ask to join them. I don't know of a one that isn't more than happy to show you the ropes. If you are too self conscious, then find a convenient place to observe. But it really is in your best interest to introduce yourself. You'll get hooked soon enough out of success or frustration. As ball golfer you know exactly what I mean. You've been playing poorly all day and then you hit that one sweet shot, just like you envisioned and it just keeps bringing you back.

Good luck.

If I could go back to June and tell myself what to get it would be the following:
Shark, 150g AND
Cobra, 150g, and maybe a Stingray, 150g
Classic Aviar, upper 160's or lower 170's. If you don't like the feel of the Aviar, try the XD.

Get multiples (3,4,5) of at least the Aviar, if you can, so that you can practice easier.
If you are fairly strong you can bump up in weight, otherwise stay lower for now. (If you are going to be playing in wind a lot, then get something in the mid 160's or higher for that.)

A lot of people will not like this next, but if you are going to be playing in woods and/or hills, get a Blowfly next. The only times I have regretted getting my Blowfly were early on when I overthrew the basket on a putt because the disc glided/floated so well. Now I use it regularly and will always have one in my bag. I would even play one disc rounds with it (or the Blowfly II). It is versatile, it hits trees and does not ricochet far off into the rough, rarely rolls down hills, and grabs chains rather well.

If you must have a driver(s), Leopard, then maybe a Dragon, then try a Roadrunner and/or Viking. Here, definitely stick with lighter weights unless you have a really strong arm.

Here is the discraft link. I learned how to throw using these forums and they were extremely helpful. I had to throw forehand when I first started because my backhand throws went about 20 ft straight into the ground. Then I discovered this forum's bounty of knowledge! Now I rarely throw forehand, but it is a good skill to have in your repertoire.

Edit: You may want to try this Link first.

Im very encouraged by everyone saying to stay away from the driver. thats all ive been practicing with. No wondering im having trouble!

Have fun and keep it simple in the beginning. Maybe a Shark and a putter. I also had good luck with a Cobra when i started playing.

Im very encouraged by everyone saying to stay away from the driver. thats all ive been practicing with. No wondering im having trouble!

There are drivers that aren't terrible beginner discs, but they also tend not to be the ones that the friends who get you into the game are likely to hook you up with, especially if you're seeking out advice here rather than from them. ;)

The good beginner friendly drivers are going to be what are called "fairway drivers". They fly slower than most, which makes them easier to learn to control, but they are also the drivers that a lot of casual players easily overlook in their quest to throw ever further. Speed does not always equal distance, especially when you are a beginner.

Toddy, if you're a student of physics and science as well as athletics, consider learning about the properties of frisbee flight and then watching the many instructional youtube videos. You will benefit greatly being able to apply a discs physical flight characteristics to the techniques being demonstrated.... which, in my opinion, is a relationship that has not yet been satisfactorily documented in any one instructional video. Right now you gotta do the "homework" yourself.

Yea I would stay away from the driver.. The mids and putters will teach you control and how to put spin on the discs and learn the feel and form.. I would also suggest finding people (friends) who know how to play or ask people at the local course to show you how.. It will make all the difference watching proper form and technique that's an easy way to jump start your game..

Have fun and keep it simple in the beginning. I also had good luck with a Cobra when i started playing.

The Cobra, IMHO, is one of the better "start up" discs.
Like others have already said, practice, watch videos of form/technique, USE THE SEARCH TOOL, and have fun.
Oh, and welcome to the site!

Addicted to Golf, the ponies, and the cards. How are you not divorced?

Get a Cobra and a Warlock.

Addicted to Golf, the ponies, and the cards. How are you not divorced?

Get a Cobra and a Warlock.

Ha Good Point. Lucky I guess!! I let my wife know right when i met her that i will always want ME time to do the things I like. Disc Golf is likely to jump to the top of the list. I have so much time where I have time to kill, for instance if i go to the horses im hanging around from 9am to noon with nothing to do. Disc Golf is perfect. Im so psyched my coworker told me about it.

Get a Leopard/Buzzz/Aviar combo. You will thank me. And I didn't read through this, so I'm sure all three of these have been mentioned.

Welcome to the game. You are on the same path as most new players. Not many of us can drive properly right off the bat. There is a reason the Innova begginer DX set has a Leopard, Shark, and Aviar. They are all great discs for someone who's just starting AND for veteran players.

People might say I'm crazy for suggesting this, but I also suggest you get a DX Viper. You can never start with the hyzer shot too early. A very overstable disc like the Viper will help you get out of trouble, and a disc like that is great to have in your bag, even as a newbie.

The greatest advice that's been given here is to find an experienced player and learn from them.

Ball Golf, poker, and ponies....

Welcome to your new addiction my friend. My advice give up the ponies, and sell your clubs lol. We can play heads up for plastic anytime! lol. I LOVE poker, was playing for a living until black friday :(. Now I've actually had to go back to work for now.

Take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. There will be a lot of good advice you can find in the technique section. It shouldn't take you long to figure out who knows what they're talking about, and who just likes to see their names pop up on the screen lol.

If I were to buy a beginners pack for someone right now, it would be Teebird, Leopard, or Eagle for drivers. Buzzz for a midrange, and a Wizard for a putter.

Ball Golf, poker, and ponies....

Welcome to your new addiction my friend. My advice give up the ponies, and sell your clubs lol. We can play heads up for plastic anytime! lol. I LOVE poker, was playing for a living until black friday :(. Now I've actually had to go back to work for now.

Take everything you read on here with a grain of salt. There will be a lot of good advice you can find in the technique section. It shouldn't take you long to figure out who knows what they're talking about, and who just likes to see their names pop up on the screen lol.

If I were to buy a beginners pack for someone right now, it would be Teebird, Leopard, or Eagle for drivers. Buzzz for a midrange, and a Wizard for a putter.

I was in the same boat until black friday. Ugh..

There are drivers that aren't terrible beginner discs, but they also tend not to be the ones that the friends who get you into the game are likely to hook you up with, especially if you're seeking out advice here rather than from them. ;)

The good beginner friendly drivers are going to be what are called "fairway drivers". They fly slower than most, which makes them easier to learn to control, but they are also the drivers that a lot of casual players easily overlook in their quest to throw ever further. Speed does not always equal distance, especially when you are a beginner.

Good post. Don't be afraid to buy a Leopard, Cheetah, Gazelle, Cyclone, FD, Polaris, JLS, Teebird, Eagle, etc, especially in a cheaper plastic. A lot of people will tell you to swear off drivers for a while but it's good to have a slow fairway driver to teach you the value of throwing nose down.

Cheers

Get a Leopard/Buzzz/Aviar combo. You will thank me. And I didn't read through this, so I'm sure all three of these have been mentioned.

I highly recomend this combo. I have 2 friends that started at the same time as I did. Every round became "who can throw the farthest", that led me to speed 11-13 drivers. Nothing good came of that. After doing some research, I went to the Leo, Buzzz, Aviar combo and have had a lot of sucess. Now I can throw a mid for distance with good accuracy and place my shots. When I have a new player join me I always give them a Buzzz and an Aviar to play the round with. Seeing a disc actually fly and glide adds so much enjoyment to the game. High speed drivers require a lot of power to fly correctly. Otherwise you get the 250' shot that fades out hard left. Once your form and power comes along you can try some more stable discs. Hope that helps.

Latest posts