• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Kastaplast Kaxe Z in K1 Soft?

The Mickstar

Berg Gang
I have a K1 Soft Berg. I love the feel of the plastic and its ability to sit & stick. I rarely throw the Berg at anything approaching full power, though. I'm curious how the K1 Soft plastic works for a disc that is thrown hard, for distance (like a fairway driver).

Specifically, I'm considering picking up a Kaxe Z in either K1 or K1 Soft. I've felt both plastics, and the difference isn't huge. (K1 is still pretty darn soft/flexible.) Any concerns with a Kaxe Z in K1 Soft (durability, "floppiness", etc.)? Any flight differences in this particular mold in K1 vs K1 Soft?

Thanks.

Hey man, I hope I can help here a bit. Last night I went to the field to test a Reko K1, Reko K1 soft, Reko X K1. These are throwing putters for me so I was doing hyzer flips for distance and hyzer shots at the basket at about 200-240 feet. For me personally I prefer throwing the K1 regular over the K1 soft as it tends to torque less in the hand under power, which ultimately leads to a bit of a more consistent feeling release. Also, its summer and right now the K1 soft is REALLY soft. I am not a Kaxe thrower but still yet, I would say go K1 if you are throwing it. BTW, the Reko X is frikkin amazing. LOL

fh dominant player checking in, putt and approach within 100 bh

k1 soft berg is my go to fh approach disc for anything under 200ft, and also use it off the tee around 250
it can handle power great, it doesnt really turn but does drift just a little, then has zero fade when thrown hard

i dont find the k1 berg to throw any differently but use one as a roller disc, which its surprisingly good at

my k1 glow regrind berg has more late fade than all my others, but hss seems similar

i also bag a k1 soft kaxe, its more stable than the kaxe z but not by a lot, its more of a finesse disc for fh but has great glide and can get some useful turn and fade movement out of it for shot shaping

i do find my k1 glow kaxe to be slightly more stable but not a lot, have not thrown a reg k1

the k3 kaxe is noticeably more stable, it also feels thinner, i think the shoulder comes out a little flatter in k3 for some reason

also have a k1 soft falk and its similar to reg k1, same can be said for grym x

my fh grip puts my thumb deeper into the flight plate than most peoples, so i like flat/puddle and floppy tops and struggle with stiff domey discs, so k1 soft and gstar are some of my favorite plastics

in general i think k1 and k1 soft have similar stability for most molds except the soft reko is definitely less stable than k1

then k1 glow is usually a touch more stable than k1

also a few molds come in regrind k1 plastic, which feels maybe a tad stiffer and similar in stability to glow

My K1 Kaxe Z is actually a tad less stable than my Kaxe Z soft. Same weight. My Kaxe Z Glow is a tad more stable.

K3 is much more stable until beaten in.

Seems to be slightly run dependant.

I live in Sweden and i dont know if if was the intent but i mostly use the K1 in the summer and K1 soft in the winter for a similar feel/stiffnes year around.

But it is a big different in the K1 plastics, i like the more transparent K1/K1 soft

Last night I went to the field to test a Reko K1, Reko K1 soft, Reko X K1. .......... BTW, the Reko X is frikkin amazing. LOL

Not to sidetrack my own topic, but...

Do you have any experience with the Opto Pure? It's my main throwing putter. I'd like to find something with a similar feel that's a couple of ticks more stable. The regular Reko feels very similar, but I'm not sure how much more stable it actually is. The Reko X would probably be more in line with what I want, but I haven't had a chance to actually feel it. It looks like the Reko X has a completely different shape.

Any thoughts?

Do you have any experience with the Opto Pure? It's my main throwing putter. I'd like to find something with a similar feel that's a couple of ticks more stable. The regular Reko feels very similar, but I'm not sure how much more stable it actually is. The Reko X would probably be more in line with what I want, but I haven't had a chance to actually feel it. It looks like the Reko X has a completely different shape.

Any thoughts?

I've only thrown the Opto Pure a couple of times, but from the little experience I have I'd say the K1 Reko is more stable.

Any thoughts?

Unfortunately I do not have any experience with the Opto Pure. I find the regular reko k1 to fly nearly dead straight off of a hyzer flip. The Reko X begins to experience some fade about 2/3 down the flight path and hyzers in nicely to finish. It is definitely shaped different at the rim to achieve the flight, but it was coming out of my hand very similarly.

i threw pures for a little while before going to rekos
my putter bh is limited to maybe 200-225ft so keep that in mind

opto pure was a fair bit more stable than zero medium for me, this compares well to k1 reko and k3 reko for stability and plastic feel

k1 reko x is as chuch noted a bit more late fade but similar initial flight

hand feel is very similar to reko, they appear to share the same upper mold, but the rim is concave rather than convex, im a big fan of it so far, it also holds up to touch fh fairly well, reminds me of an envy but different hand feel

Newer K1 Soft is softer than old K2. My K2 Kaxe & Kaze Z are both more stable than their K1 counterparts, have slightly less glide though. K2 is best woods plastic I've experienced. I own but have not yet thrown new K1 Soft Falk, that's purely a winter disc though. Very soft in the summer.

I do occasionally bag an Opto-X Pure. It's a larger diameter than the Reko, so the putters don't really feel similar at all. Pure also goes further for me, similar lines. When bagged I pair it with a premium Envy, presuming that's more OS than the Reko-X. I haven't once wished I had something between Envy and O-X Pure.

The Zero Pures break in beautifully, if you're set on Reko-X then I'd cycle Zero Med Pures next to it.

Back to the Kaxes.. get Kaxe & Z in K1 as a pair. They're both great discs for BH and FH. Learn them. Then figure out if you want to add soft, or K3 to cycle.

Lastly.. the Neon Poison Green Solid K1 gets my vote as best all around that Kasta makes. It has UV glow in the afternoon, really really easy to find.

Last edited:

Latest posts