• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Katana Plastic help

Nick C

Birdie Member
So I've recently been throwing a friend's Pro Katana. I like the disc but if I don't throw it as a serious hyzer flip with a good amount of height it turns over and never comes back. Just as a reference I generally throw around 400-450ft on drives but I bombed one last night on a hyzer flip probably further than I've thrown a disc before.

My question is would either a Star or Champ plastic help to make this bad boy a little more stable for me and if so is it even worth getting used to that plastic if they only have them as fundraisers?

So I've recently been throwing a friend's Pro Katana. I like the disc but if I don't throw it as a serious hyzer flip with a good amount of height it turns over and never comes back. Just as a reference I generally throw around 400-450ft on drives but I bombed one last night on a hyzer flip probably further than I've thrown a disc before.

My question is would either a Star or Champ plastic help to make this bad boy a little more stable for me and if so is it even worth getting used to that plastic if they only have them as fundraisers?

Both Champ and Stars are about the same stability, a bit more stable then Pros, with the Stars beating to flippy faster. In my opinion the Champs are the best to get.

If you are throwing that D why do you want/need a katana?

Seems like a nuke or even a boss would be better suited to you.

If you are throwing that D why do you want/need a katana?

Seems like a nuke or even a boss would be better suited to you.

agreed, with that D the katana will probably be too squirrely for you. you are better off throwing something with more control which I am assuming you are already doing

I've got a Star Katana and it was more stable than i expected at first but after throwing a couple of weeks its slowly started to become less and less stable....would like a max weight champ one tho....

I own all 3, the star is more stable, the champ is way more stable IMO. The champ new flies like a wraith on roids. I've been liking the star so far the most. All 4 of the champ ones I bought are 1-2 grams heavier than they say.

some good advice here. i own a heavy champ katana and it feels a lot like a boss. its beating in really slowly. chucked it yesterday on a 580' hole with maybe -30' elevation into a moderate headwind and was SUPER impressed. it flew like most star katanas fly: flipped a hair and glide glide glide. ended up pin high and about 40' left. probably the best into the wind disc ive thrown. cuts through that head wind like a knife through butter and is significantly more stable than the stars.

some good advice here. i own a heavy champ katana and it feels a lot like a boss. its beating in really slowly. chucked it yesterday on a 580' hole with maybe -30' elevation into a moderate headwind and was SUPER impressed. it flew like most star katanas fly: flipped a hair and glide glide glide. ended up pin high and about 40' left. probably the best into the wind disc ive thrown. cuts through that head wind like a knife through butter and is significantly more stable than the stars.
You mean it cuts into the wind like a KATANA!

oops i lied.

was only about 460.:(

was this one:

ad3ef182.jpg

f9fecd1b.jpg

meant to say the wind made it PLAY 580.:rolleyes:

the pic and sign look nothing alike, there is a lot less green and nothing of what appears to be a decent sized tree

what champ katanas are you guys saying are more stable? I have about 4 Japan Open 2nd run Champ Katanas that were barely more stable than my Pros. The Star Pro Worlds Katanas that I have are noticeable more stable than my Champs. Are some of the other Champion Katanas more stable? Also, are some less gummy? My japan open 2nd runs are all pretty gummy....