• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] KC Pro Roc

Rocs flatten as they season. Don't turn your nose up at a domey Roc. The dome gives a little extra glide, and it's nothing to worry about. About two months of throwing it, the dome will mellow, and you will be in love.

I've seen quite a few KC's that were domey crap. In my experience domey rancho rocs usually have some turn out of the box which is not what you want (plus the dome feels icky). Your best bet is to feel them up in the store or to call one of the online places and ask for some with very little dome. The ones actually classified as "flat topped" Rocs also fly and wear slighty differently, so I wouldn't buy one of those if you're looking for that magical Roc flight everyone talks about. The XT's in the Innova Pro Shop are also all flat topped so don't go with those. Either feel them up in a store or call an online retailer and ask them for what you want.

Wouldn't it be great if they made a Roc3 out of KC Pro material? That would solve the 'flat' issue, and probably a few other first-world problems, as well...

Because Roc3s in McPro don't exist?

The FS shipping argument doesn't fly either. These are cycling discs. You should be buying multiples of them.

Cool. So basically, I just dont want ones that are very domey. I had a Star San Marino that was crazy domey. Dont dig that at all. KC's have just a mild dome, and are all Rancho mold, correct?

Just go on ebay and find some Mcpro Roc3's. Should be what you're looking for, they're flatter. I just got 4, 2 came in board flat(love them) and 2 came in very mild dome(love them and should season great). you'll pay $18-20 for them, but its a bargain in my eyes for the way they fly for me.

In my experience the mcpro roc 3's start out less stable than KC ranchos and also wear to understable more quickly, though they hold that flight for a long time after. I tried switching to only roc3's, but any that are OS enough to fight the wind like a kc don't feel good to me. I would grab some flat topped kc rocs or find some low dome ones. The local PIAS usualy has at least a few F2 flat top kcs, and I know a lot of sites sell them.

Wouldn't it be great if they made a Roc3 out of KC Pro material? That would solve the 'flat' issue, and probably a few other first-world problems, as well...

McPro is basically KC Pro plastic.

That and they make thousands of flat top KC Rocs, which are basically Roc3's.

I don't agree. The mcpro plastic I have is softer than KC but harder than DX. And my flat top rancho's, be it DX or KC, are much more stable than any mcpro roc3 I have thrown. Now a champ roc 3 can be more stable, but not much more.

There's harder and softer KC too. I only know about the first release McPros, but they're quite firm. As firm as my favorite KC Rocs.

I've seen quite a few KC's that were domey crap. In my experience domey rancho rocs usually have some turn out of the box which is not what you want (plus the dome feels icky). Your best bet is to feel them up in the store or to call one of the online places and ask for some with very little dome. The ones actually classified as "flat topped" Rocs also fly and wear slighty differently, so I wouldn't buy one of those if you're looking for that magical Roc flight everyone talks about. The XT's in the Innova Pro Shop are also all flat topped so don't go with those. Either feel them up in a store or call an online retailer and ask them for what you want.

Ted throws some pretty magical lines with his flat top Rocs. I like some dome. From my Rocs and your moms.

Roc throwers like different things from their Rocs -- that Roc flight that "everyone talks about" isn't something most people have actually seen in real life. But moderate dome in a stiffer plastic is a good place to start. Get a decent KC. Then compare differences for yourself. You know, before you act like an expert.

XT Rocs are not very good.

I don't get the dismissal of the FTs either. I prefer mildly domed KCs but have thrown DX, FT DX, and FT KC. Having said that, my 10X that is quite possibly the longest disc in my bag, and it's pretty damn flat (from use like I mentioned above).

Seeing Ted crush those FTs was a thing of absolute beauty. To me, a Roc is a Roc. It's good to have options.

I carry both a regular PFN KC Roc and a flat top Glide stamped KC.

Both great discs.

(I also carry a domey Champ Firebird and a flat one).

You need a kc for with moderate dome before you try anything else, because those rocs are the ones that give you the magical unicorn roc flight people weep over. All kc rocs are at least okay though.

I like that we have a kc roc specific thread. They're crazy good.

I had to get rid of them. :( if you really drill a tree you can knock a huge chunk of stability off a perfect roc.

They do take a while to beat in, and that's why they scared me off. Once I got over the initial bump and had perfect rocs for those tunnel shots, I couldn't keep them there for long with how often I was playing our wooded courses. They're so amazing though.

I had to get rid of them. :( if you really drill a tree you can knock a huge chunk of stability off a perfect roc.

They do take a while to beat in, and that's why they scared me off. Once I got over the initial bump and had perfect rocs for those tunnel shots, I couldn't keep them there for long with how often I was playing our wooded courses. They're so amazing though.

I dont really know why the reason for this is, but its why I switched to McPro Roc3s. The plastic feels similar but the McPros get that in the sweet spot and stay there for a long time, and I've hit trees...oooooh I've hit trees. The problem there is its tough cycling a non production disc. I cant see buying more to throw them at trees.

I honestly feel like everyone is just too damned cute about their cycled Rocs.

You hit a bunch of trees and it gets less stable? Throw with a little more hyzer.

Here's a little thing to go out and try: Carry two KC (or DX) Rocs, one more OS than the other. Now make every shot with both, simply by adjusting your release angles. Sure, it gets trickier with the Rocs at either extreme end of your cycle, but you ought to be able to do this through a whole round, just those two Rocs, if you are a Roc thrower. And once you;ve figured it out, you no longer have to worry about "sweet spot." There is a very broad spectrum on the sweet spot for a Roc -- it goes from just-barely-not-fresh to trickshot-flippy. You ought to be able to make just about any Roc shot with anything between those two ends.

(I fully acknowledge the tunnel straight finish straight Roc is the exception, but anything neutral to pretty-US ought to be able to handle that shot with good practice on your release angles.)

HOMEWORK: Take two Rocs out for a round. Make every shot twice, once with each Roc.

Flat release = being too cute. Ted taught me that one too (or made me feel dumb so I spent a full year working on my release angles).

But if you are already cycling, you know pretty quickly where your Rocs are, and what the become. Just fine tune. You're already doing that every shot, aren't you? Accounting for wind, line, height, which Roc, etc.?

Heck, think about Philo -- he carries like 6-8 DX Rocs and cycles them from fresh through flippy in a matter of a few months. You just keep track of where each one is, right?

Obviously, Not saying any of us are Philo. What he does with Rocs is pretty special.

Anyway, please just send me your old Rocs.

Last edited:

Latest posts