• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Knoxville for Thanksgiving

victor ashe - long bombs, wide open, beautiful park in a nice setting.

you could think of morningside as a poorman's devens.. it is a great course, but not in the best shape... and i imagine will be a little mucky thanks to all this recent weather.

Depends on you what you want!! If you want more long, open holes you want VA. If you want shorter, leave your big guns in the car holes, you want Morningside! I know that is vague but it's accurate. VA is longer, open, only 1 hole in the woods. Morningside is much shorter but requires different shots. At VA I can throw for max D, which is only 300-350, on most of the holes, Morningside is more fairway drivers, mids, & a few putter drives. And if you've never played Morningside it can be tough to navigate in places. There are no signs & some of the tees are painted lines on the walking path, but I personally think it's a pretty fun course

EDIT: good point, the Side will definitely have some muddy spots

EDIT #2: When are you playing? If you've never played either, depending on when you'll be out, I might be able to get out & show you around

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I am looking to break away from the in-laws and play Friday at some point. I think I am leaning toward Victor Ashe. Most of the courses I play here are very wooded and technical (ie Devens). With me still being new I think it would be nice to try and get out on a open course for once and not have to worry about so many trees.

Curveball, thanks for the offer and I'll keep you posted. I have a feeling my wife and nieces might want to get out and walk with me.

If you don't mind the drive over to Oak Ridge then I highly recommend Groves Park, I played there earlier this month and had an exceptionally good time.

If you don't mind the drive over to Oak Ridge then I highly recommend Groves Park, I played there earlier this month and had an exceptionally good time.

Yeah the Mounds is a good course. Alot like VA, long & mostly open, a few more tighter holes. There are also 9 new holes in the woods but they are probably a mud pit with the rain from this week. A few miles down the road is Carl Yearwood. Very short, very wooded, at least 3 tees on every hole, "Fearwood" tees (and yes they are scary!), you can play 9 in about 30 minutes

I played Groves Park on Friday, but only played 11 holes. My brother-in-law has only thrown once and was using my discs. On the second hole he put one in the trees and we spent 20 min throwing rocks to get it down. For those that have played the course you know there is a ton of walking (back tracking) so we shortened it up a little I also got 9 in at Admiral Farragut Saturday morning as this course is 4 min from his house. Fun little course and quick to play.

Latest posts