• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lacey Brugler Suspension

Was that at BG Ams? That was the first time I remember meeting them. Had just got done practicing a few holes at Lover's Lane when they pulled into the lot next to me. They seemed like good people and I even sold them a Cincy club stamped Destroyer. Spoke with the dad several times since at different events. There did seem to be a "living vicariously" kind of thing going on...

BG Ams, yes - Mandabear (my partner) played with her at least one round, maybe more, I can ask her more specifics when she gets home tonight.

Not sure if Lacey is on DGCR but she just posted this apology on Facebook:

"I would like to publicly and sincerely apologize to the Professional Disc Golf Association, to my sponsors, to Kristi Moore and to Lisa Warner, to my Tournament Directors Ken Rollins and Sharon Jenkins and to my family and friends for my actions resulting in my recent suspension from the sport. It was never my intention to hurt anyone or discredit the sport in anyway. I take full responsibility for my actions and acknowledge my mistakes. I have also learned some very valuable lessons throughout this process and with the support of those people close to me. I have been a player, a contributor and a supporter of this sport as has my family for many years. I would like to thank those of you who have helped me through this difficult time. I am hopeful, in time I will be able to put this experience behind me and continue my work in this sport I love." - Lacey Brugler:

Not sure if Lacey is on DGCR but she just posted this apology on Facebook:

"I would like to publicly and sincerely apologize to the Professional Disc Golf Association, to my sponsors, to Kristi Moore and to Lisa Warner, to my Tournament Directors Ken Rollins and Sharon Jenkins and to my family and friends for my actions resulting in my recent suspension from the sport. It was never my intention to hurt anyone or discredit the sport in anyway. I take full responsibility for my actions and acknowledge my mistakes. I have also learned some very valuable lessons throughout this process and with the support of those people close to me. I have been a player, a contributor and a supporter of this sport as has my family for many years. I would like to thank those of you who have helped me through this difficult time. I am hopeful, in time I will be able to put this experience behind me and continue my work in this sport I love." - Lacey Brugler:
seems like a good enough reason to drop this thread. my 16-year-old did some stupid things, but I'm glad society let her move on.....

What Zontar wrote is correct but I can't resist:. The eleventh commandment, thou shalt not cheat, let thy father cheat for thee.

The stuff we do when we are 16 is amazingly stupid. The dad should be kicked in the butt if what is written here is correct. And hard too.

Who is Lacey Brugler, and why is this such a big deal?

She is a 16 year old professional with 63 career wins, including World Championship titles. So I think discussing her suspension is very relevant, especially to those who have potentially been robbed of victories.

Anyone that has a problem with outing a pencil whipper, teenaged or otherwise, probably bends the rules themselves.

It's strange the things young athletes do in competitive situations. My son runs track in high school, and I've had the pleasure of watching some great meets. In our area, track and field coaches and parents are collaborative and supportive of each other and the athletes, regardless of school affiliation. People get to know the athletes in the region, and it's a great environment for kids learning to compete properly.

One runner at a different school was very good at her middle-distance events. At most league meets she blew away the field. It was clear that most people respected her for the amount of work she put in, and how for strongly she ran. However, at sectionals she was no longer the best on the track. On the final lap she was competing fiercely to fend off another runner, who was creeping up on her down the stretch. It was going to be close at the line. The crowd was cheering, and the atmosphere was really great. These girls were fighting for a position that was unimportant for advancement to the next meet, but that didn't matter. They're kids, and seeing them compete fairly and with vigor is why most of us are there in the first place. Anyway, this runner senses the other girl coming up on the outside, and she must have known she was about to be passed. As they approached the line, the runner in front put her arm out to bar the other girl from passing. There was an audible gasp from the crowd, and I saw her father shake his head.

Kids do dumb things sometimes, it's true. But if we're going to treat kids differently when they compete, they shouldn't compete with adults. They should compete in an environment where they're being taught how to compete.

She is a 16 year old professional with 63 career wins, including World Championship titles. So I think discussing her suspension is very relevant, especially to those who have potentially been robbed of victories.

Anyone that has a problem with outing a pencil whipper, teenaged or otherwise, probably bends the rules themselves.

Thank you for the clarification.
I wasn't being snarky, just wanted to know the details.

What a weak suspension by the PDGA. She's won Junior World Championships. Was that because of the stroke shaving? Are they going to vacate her wins during a certain time frame?

Doubt it, a a certain NC player has won at am world's despite numerous accusations of cheating still plays to this day.

I'm reminded of Little League parents that get into arguments w/ umpires and other parents. Living vicariously indeed.

Read to me like a Public Relations form letter.

I agree, but in the world of social media, she needed a little positive PR. She's going to be chastised for her actions no matter what she did. But, I'd rather see a "PR apology", than taking it the other direction & talking badly about competitors, the PDGA, the TD, etc.

Also,just because it's a "PR apology" doesn't automatically mean its insincere... I'm sure she is embarrassed, & likely did learn a lesson. I'd rather her get caught & learn it now than continue on a negative path.

I don't feel sorry for her, but I am glad she stood up & admitted what she did wrong, even if it was forced. Consider how long this mistake will follow her & how embarrassing her first few events back will be, post suspension...

I don't think it would matter one bit how she worded that apology and some would still label it insincere.

Has there been any sort of official statement as to exactly what the suspension is for? I know notroman stated it was pencil whipping but anything other than that - or did I miss something in this thread?

(My apologies to notroman - sorry I have no idea who you are so hence the question...please don't be offended)

Last edited:
It's very hard to shake a bad reputation. No matter how she conducts her life going forward, she will always be a cheater in some people's eyes. I suppose redemption is possible for a 16 year old, but dad should be banned for life.

We had the same situation locally. It got pretty ugly at the time, but the kid was just a kid. He seems to have learned from it, and is a decent, and honest, golfer now. I know that I still would double check the score card if I was playing with him, but for the most part, I think he learned his lesson.

I realize it is different, because of the caliber of tournaments this golfer was playing, but I am glad for the kid he learned his lesson, and did not have to serve some sort of suspension or anything. Hopefully, this is enough for her to learn the same thing.

It's hard for me to be too mad at a 16 year old. I'd have to know her to feel like I could decide fairly. Now if the daddy was complicit, I blame him and it's easy to get mad at that. I mean, what kid is going to go against the parent. And if true, we don't know what the dad was saying to the girl but if he said something like "well everybody is doing it so we have to just to stay even".
That kind of manipulation is more of a parenting problem than a sports problem relatively speaking.

I don't think it would matter one bit how she worded that apology and some would still label it insincere.

Has there been any sort of official statement as to exactly what the suspension is for? I know notroman stated it was pencil whipping but anything other than that - or did I miss something in this thread?

(My apologies to notroman - sorry I have no idea who you are so hence the question...please don't be offended)

No offense taken. I understand your point completely - everything online is to be taken with a grain of salt.

When the original article about her accomplishments was published it created a bit of an uproar in social media with many people wondering why a known (I guess known in the local circles) cheater was praised by a newspaper. Lots of information came out in those discussions including additional information about the severity of cheating, people involved, and tournaments where it happened. I don't believe PDGA discloses reasons for suspensions, although I vaguely recall seeing the document provide a reason years ago so it may be a recent change.

Latest posts