• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Latissimus dorsi the king of mass, brace and dingle arms.

This is great, the flapping vs lats video really illuminated to me how I was still partially strong arming my throws and not fully making use of my arm as like a pendulum. Focusing on this yesterday helped immensely with throwing putters and mids smoother and farther.

Now I see what you are talking about with using the lats. I first had to get to where I could feel the muscle activate. About two weeks ago I started to include rowing into my stretch band workouts. Now I can at least put my hand on the muscle and flex it whereas before I couldn't. When throwing today if I had good timing I could feel the lat involved and get the little extra leverage. Like you said, one more part of the kinetic chain. :thmbup:

Some more visuals what I am doing and the caution part afterwards is how I imagine many are trying to swing.
https://youtu.be/OcFCHdQHjVU?t=279

I've been thinking a lot of the shoulder blades and loading to a hallow body and extending to a reverse image (like Proctor below). Fully engaging the core through the entire swing. This kind of came about from doing Arch Hangs, similar to what he's explaining here.

6G0PK8i.png

Y6hskpm.png

So does it go without saying that for forehand you should engage or focus on your pecs to bring the upper arm forward and not the shoulders/delts?

So does it go without saying that for forehand you should engage or focus on your pecs to bring the upper arm forward and not the shoulders/delts?
Maybe at the very end. My upper arm barely moves until release, before that it's locked and loaded with the shoulders. I would say it is mostly weightshift and obliques that bring the torso/arm/disc unit forward together.

I belive you can get a pretty good feel for it if you go into a pool and swing underwater. I am not 100% that it works but if it does, cannot wait for SWs speedo sidearm tutorial in the water.
Yep, done many FH and BH swings in a speedo in the pool, but I've spared the rest of humanity from seeing it on video. Now that I think about it, FH is actually very similar to backstroke(windmill drill backwards/submarine pitch/tennis). Some really old footage of my backstroke in a speedo jammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqk0q4iYZK0

Most of these concepts carry over and I bet I could teach her an effortless 350' FH real quick:

I've been thinking a lot of the shoulder blades and loading to a hallow body ...

I like to extend my right shoulder. It acts as a reminder to keep the connection from upper arm to body. I also think that during the throw this overstretches the back muscles, making them act like a spring. It might also increase the effective length of the upper arm, increasing leverage.

Yep, done many FH and BH swings in a speedo in the pool, but I've spared the rest of humanity from seeing it on video. Now that I think about it, FH is actually very similar to backstroke(windmill drill backwards/submarine pitch/tennis). Some really old footage of my backstroke in a speedo jammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqk0q4iYZK0

Most of these concepts carry over and I bet I could teach her an effortless 350' FH real quick:

All the swimmers I know throw a country mile. Its not a surprise that many athletes hone their skills in the water. Guess the little bit of resistance you get from the water helps to create a better kinetic chain.

Thank you for not embedding that, lol.

All the swimmers I know throw a country mile. Its not a surprise that many athletes hone their skills in the water. Guess the little bit of resistance you get from the water helps to create a better kinetic chain.

Good stuff guys.

Swimmers presumably have better core strength and stability too. Most of us who sit for long periods of day have extremely weak lower abs. Tucking hip under like Chloe does/lower abs engaged during all those drills is no walk in the park for the average Joe.

I'm going to swim tomorrow.

Hah that made me laugh. Never thought of that factor...I guess nearly every sport has some sort of downside. Like when soccer players get in fistfights after decades of learning to avoid using their arms.

That made ME laugh.

A lot of soccer players are bad at throwing things. Probably just those of us that didn't play baseball. I think that's one reason I'm enjoying disc golf so much. I've never been able to throw anything far. It's fun to figure it out, 30 some years later.

Jussi said Henna is a competitive swimmer in the Konopiste vid. She throws far, superb wide technique reminds me of Coda Hatfield with disc never coming close to body.

I've been working on the Tilted Swirl Star Burst https://youtu.be/k4-IN1yMQXc?list=UUzk4vdV9DMQYHkCCciC7a7g&t=322 (and Post #8 here https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415) with limited success in finishing correctly. Yesterday I was finally able to get it to work pretty consistently. At the end of my field practice I noticed my right lat was feeling the work out and I made the connection. I see now how using the latissimus dorsi swings the forearm out with weight and forces you into the brace. Today I was able to do it consciously and feel how it really gets you up on the front leg balanced with the back leg counter weighting. A little more progress made. :)

I have a different problem than the OP presents. I can swing my arm properly with a weight in it, but I can also swing my arm properly with empty, open hands. The real challenge for me is to swing an empty clenched fist, and that is where I get hung up throwing the disc.

Any tips for getting over the arm tightness that holding onto a disc brings?

I have a different problem than the OP presents. I can swing my arm properly with a weight in it, but I can also swing my arm properly with empty, open hands. The real challenge for me is to swing an empty clenched fist, and that is where I get hung up throwing the disc.

Any tips for getting over the arm tightness that holding onto a disc brings?
Not sure I'm following, but sounds like you are starting with your grip too tight. A boxer's hand is relaxed and supple and then tightens at the hit. Your grip pressure should be increasing as the arm speeds up.

Maybe try a fan grip which is naturally more open handed and relaxed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvsHetJkKFo&t=1m50s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5zH_jQYjQ&t=1m34s

Not sure I'm following, but sounds like you are starting with your grip too tight. A boxer's hand is relaxed and supple and then tightens at the hit. Your grip pressure should be increasing as the arm speeds up.

Maybe try a fan grip which is naturally more open handed and relaxed.

I think that is the problem; I'm slamming the grip tight as hell as soon as I feel the pressure start. I have very short fingers and it is hard for me to maintain grip on big rips. Fan grip exacerbates the problem because I feel even less secure in the grip. I wish I could just tape the damn disc to my hand and swing away with it lol.

I think that is the problem; I'm slamming the grip tight as hell as soon as I feel the pressure start. I have very short fingers and it is hard for me to maintain grip on big rips. Fan grip exacerbates the problem because I feel even less secure in the grip. I wish I could just tape the damn disc to my hand and swing away with it lol.
I used to obsess over grip pressure until I learned to push the disc out wide with the thumb. I think it was in Blake_t's hammer pound vs wide rail thread, he recommended I learn to throw with Bratten's 2 finger grip which helped a lot. Then MJ gave me some tips which also helped a lot with the fan grip.

Latest posts