• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 River

ReinZ_96

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
River throwers, how do u like it? Also how much different are the Opto and Gold lines as far as flight characteristics? I've heard that Lat64 discs vary ALOT in-between plastic types.

I have a opto and GL river both about the same weight. Maybe a gram or two difference. I feel no difference in them. It is one of my favorite discs in my bag and I can throw them very straight. If you put muscle into them, they will flip over. I feel like my river is a much straighter teebird.

slightly understable, has the best glide out of any driver i've thrown. I've had a 165 GL and a 172 Opto. The GL one is easy for me to turn over (at about 360 of power with fairways) but doesn't turn and burn, unless I really OAT it. If I give it enough height, it will fade back, for really good distance. I usually release it on a slight hyzer. My Opto one (which I dont have anymore) flew pretty much the same as the GL, exept it was a bit more stable. I didn't like it as much because it just didn't feel quite the same in my hand as the GL one (which is odd, no noticable difference in dome or PLH) and Opto isn't as grippy as GL.

I've read that rivers can vary a lot in between weights, lighter ones can be like faster leopards, where heavier ones can be more like teebirds.

The River can be a bit finicky when you first start using it, but once you recognize how it wants to fly, it is a fantastic disc. I love it for long annys, tailwind drives, and slight right or even dead straight holes. I have a fairly domey Opto 170 if that helps.

aj

^^ Yeah, totally.

I like light Rivers, some of my longest throws ever have been with them.
I found the plastics to be pretty similar, but I was only throwing them one at a time (not using the Opto while I was throwing the GL).
I also don't have any right now because I have a bad habit of over-torquing them and OATing them into impassable undergrowth and murky water.

Last edited:
amazing glide, but a little finicky compared to teebird/tl. i find that sometimes i'll take a little off out of turn&burn fear, then light arm it well short and left of the desired target.

amazing glide, but a little finicky compared to teebird/tl. i find that sometimes i'll take a little off out of turn&burn fear, then light arm it well short and left of the desired target.

I seemed to have a similar experience, but I'm starting to think there was something I was doing now that I got rid of mine. lol

No matter though. I enjoyed the River but I really do not like not having a baseline plastic option for something that will be my goto control driver.

I just got a red color shift GL river 172 in the mail saturday.

Havent had time to throw it yet...im hoping to season it into a turnover driver to replace my avenger ss that has become way too flippy.

I only have 2 lat 64 discs, 1 in GL the other in opto...and so far, my opto actually seems to feel more grippy. The GL one is very slick...which seems to be the oposite of what I hear about them. :confused:

Yeah. My Opto Fuses are more grippy than my GL one. Think the misconception is that Opto is to Champ/Z what GL is to Star/ESP but GL is really glossy compared to star/ESP.

I've been playing with pretty much rivers and a putter all summer and it has helped my game a ton. It is my favorite disc by far. It has really helped me learn how to shape lines correctly. I started out throwing them under 250, now can get them up over 375. I had a 175 Opto at first that was my bread and butter, but have since switched to GL because it is way easier to grip when I am sweaty or out in the morning when everything is wet. I have a 177 GL that is pretty beefy and I use that basically as a mid, and a 172 GL that is my main driver.

I just got a red color shift GL river 172 in the mail saturday.

Havent had time to throw it yet...im hoping to season it into a turnover driver to replace my avenger ss that has become way too flippy.

I only have 2 lat 64 discs, 1 in GL the other in opto...and so far, my opto actually seems to feel more grippy. The GL one is very slick...which seems to be the oposite of what I hear about them. :confused:

If you want a disc to replace your avenger ss get a vision!

I Thought GL was really slick also when I first got mine, but as I've used it more and it has gotten dirt on it it feels way more grippy. It probably has worse grip than star/ESP when wet, but I wouldn't want to throw anything premium when its wet. (I dry it off really good).

Thanks for all the input, but i got another question about this disc. If were to get a stalker and a river would one of them get used all the time ad the other just sit in my bag pretty much unused or can they be used together?

Thanks for all the input, but i got another question about this disc. If were to get a stalker and a river would one of them get used all the time ad the other just sit in my bag pretty much unused or can they be used together?

They overlap quite a bit...I can't imagine using both.

So which flight charts are right when it comes to Lat64? I wanted to buy a River or Vision or Striker today, but they had Joe's flight chart hanging up which makes them all look rather OS, but the chart of www.latitude64.se makes them look straight to understable.

So which flight charts are right when it comes to Lat64? I wanted to buy a River or Vision or Striker today, but they had Joe's flight chart hanging up which makes them all look rather OS, but the chart of www.latitude64.se makes them look straight to understable.

I, almost, always use Joes Flight Chart for reference to how discs will fly (especially cuz it has the power requirements for the intended flight path on it). But I would think that the actual manufacture's flight chart would be closer to the actual flight path