• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Latitude interview with the beard

dx_roc

Birdie Member
What was your feeling starting out this year's World Championships compared to earlier years?
My feeling was that I had just come off a second place finish at the European open, and I felt that while players have emerged when I am playing my best, it is still good enough to compete with the younger generation and even win. I also had a relaxed feeling with some new security in my life with joining Latitude 64°.

Was there any change in how you prepared for it?
The last two years I played an event the weekend before worlds. This year I took that week at home relaxing. Not playing, but mentally preparing. I arrived a week early and played each course twice. One round a day,and a day of rest before the event started.

Your performance was pretty amazing but you had a couple of rounds slightly below your rating where you fell several positions. How do you manage to bounce back from something like that with seeming ease?
You are right, the blue course had my number and cost me the title. The funny thing was that in 2010 worlds the blue course was the one where I had my best rounds. As for how I bounce back, I just believe in my ability and understand that worlds is a marathon not a 100 meter dash. To play all 7 rounds above your rating seems like a lofty goal, so I just knew that I would have a couple of bad rounds. I am human. The key is damage control and not continuing to struggle. Breathe and regain focus.

A good example was in the European open. In the first round I took a 9 on hole 16 and seemingly crushed my hopes for a repeat win. I was crushed and wanted to give up. I even stepped to the 17 tee completely unfocused and shanked my tee shot OB and carded another bogey. Then as I approached the very challenging finishing hole I took some deep breaths, focused in, and stopped the bleeding by birding the 18th hole to finish my round. Earlier in my career I would have probably continued to stay down, would have at least finished with a bogey, and sabotaged my chances. It is so tough to come out of the funk, but necessary to succeed.

How would you say that the field has changed during the last years with the growth of the sport?
I would say the field size is smaller, but the average play is on a higher level than 10 years ago. My first worlds in Michigan had 246 open men players. The course design and grueling schedules has caused a trend of youth at the top. I look around and see very few players in my age group playing in the last round with a chance to win a major title lately. It had caused me to upgrade my physical training. Are the top players better than before? I think not really. There is a larger quantity of quality, but the course records are not getting blown away. Climo, Schultz, etc, they were deadly and scored as well as any players I have faced in this decade.

Could you tell us something about how the experience of changing out your whole bag going into this season?
Changing my whole bag was exciting. It gave me a chance to learn new discs again and focus on removing some crutches I developed by leaning on discs that I had know for 15 years to make the shot, even if it wasn't the high percentage shot. I also was excited for consistency, not having to freak out when I lost a disc, rather just go grab another one of the shelf, and bam, it flew the same as the last one. I can't lie and say it was easy, it was not, and I am still learning. It hasn't even been 6 months. Give me a year and I will have my bag right where I want it.

What are your plans for the rest of the year and the 2014 season?
My plans for the rest of the season and beyond are to go into a semi retirement as I am getting old and my reconstructed foot is finally getting worn out. I am playing just a few more events this year including Vibram, USDGC, and the mango classic. For 2014 I have accepted a new position at Latitude 64° that will take up much of my time. But I will play 10 events, the NT's and Major championships. Going from 40 to 10 events will be interesting. Time for someone like me to start making it better for the youth as their focus and make playing the bonus.

Finally, what discs did you use the most during World's and why?
I used my Judge for all putting. But for driving I leaned on my Opto Trident for controlled hyzer fades as it checked up beautifully. I started using my Recycled Saint for soft bends and straight shots. It honestly had an in the circle percentage of about 90 percent. For distance I rolled the Gold line Havoc because it is the fastest disc I have ever thrown. And for hyzers and flat shots I used the West side Giants. It is so trustworthy and goes as far as my competitors big distance discs. It just feels good in the hand and I love hyzers. The Zero and Recycled Mace have replaced my old midrange discs, and I like them better. I am carrying five already, all different amount of broken in use. Get one today you will love it.

Very good interview, it will be interesting to see what he is doing for Lat next year

Great interview! Whatever he is gonna do with lat next year is exciting. Latitude and the beard taking this game to a new level. Screw prodigy!!!

What about the beard? No beard questions? :)

Very good interview, it will be interesting to see what he is doing for Lat next year

I wonder if it's some sort of promoting youth DG? It's an interest of his from what I understand, he alludes to it in the interview, and Lat seems concerned with it too with their beginner discs.

Just a guess; I'll be curious to see myself.

good for borg. i'm glad he seems to have landed a good gig at Lat 64.

fear the beard.

The course design and grueling schedules has caused a trend of youth at the top. I look around and see very few players in my age group playing in the last round with a chance to win a major title lately. It had caused me to upgrade my physical training.

The Disc Golf World Championship is too long. Ball golf majors are decided based upon 4 rounds- why do we need 7? Sure, endurance is an aspect of the game, but it is overemphasized in the Worlds.

Great interview. Dave is the best teacher of the top Pros IMO and a fantastic representative of the Sport all around. Excited for him to have some financial stability and be able to focus his time on promoting Disc Golf. I hope he gets old fast enough to play Climo and Schulz again in the Masters divisions in NT events. I really like that Swedish plastic and I like how he gives Innova a little poke by pointing out how he can get the same flying Disc off the shelf with Latitude.

DGCR popularity is a unique enigma. Feldberg was one of the more disliked pros the past two years, he grows a beard and switches to latitude and all of a sudden everyone loves him.

DGCR popularity is a unique enigma. Feldberg was one of the more disliked pros the past two years, he grows a beard and switches to latitude and all of a sudden everyone loves him.

He also changed his attitude. he used to be so uptight. he seems to have relaxed a little.

> I also had a relaxed feeling with some new security in my life with joining Latitude 64°.

It speaks highly to Dave's ability that he is able to have this much success with an all new bag. I'm sure that each brand has copycat discs that are close to others, but I still wonder how well some of the other top players would do if all of their old favorites were removed? It's hard to imagine Barry with no Leopards or Ken with no Rocs.

Very good interview! In my dealings with the beard he strikes me as a man who knows a lot about the game & more importantly is not afraid to voice his opinions on things! This strikes people different ways as you can imagine!
When you are in this position you can be the 'know-it-all" who criticizes everything but offers little help or you can become an ambassador for the sport & look to improve the lot for the good of the game.
It looks like Dave is moving towards the latter! :clap:

I wish him the best - great interview and he straight up kicked butt at Worlds this year. I watched all the crappy DGPTV coverage and Chuck Norris was great! I met a guy at Am Worlds who knows him well and says " Dave is a great guy, Feldberg can be a jerk but Dave is an all right guy" !! I think most driven, competitive people can have 2 sides to their personality and that might be why Dave gets a bad rep. Fear the BEARD...

Dave acts completely different now. He used to think he was the hottest thing since sliced bread and assumed nothing was his fault, complained and whined, threw fits. Nobody liked him because of that. His attitude has burned him many times in the past and I'm sure ruined some personal relationships. It almost seems as if he finally realized that he was just hurting himself acting the way he was because in the past year or two he has really calmed down. If he misses a shot he shakes it off, he smiles more, he's out talking to people, he's going out of his way to help people and to run clinics. As a person he has changed and people took notice.

The logical connection is that throwing Innova discs makes you agro, while throwing Lat 64 mellows you out ;)

Perhaps he mellowed as the year went on... At The Memorial, he was pretty whiny saying his new discs cost him the title... that was a direct statement to me when his XXX hit a patch of grass and didn't skip like he wanted. Nothing woulda skipped after hitting that patch.