• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Learning Lefty

How dumb does it make you feel going from right to left when your throwing? I feel like I ride the small bus when I throw lefty.

I feel like like my throwing form is like my sister's (when throwing a ball that is....since I can throw discs with either hand).

It makes me wonder how in the hell Rafael Nadal does it and how he managed to become the best tennis player in the freaking world playing with his off hand!!!

WeAreNotWorthy.gif

It makes me wonder how in the hell Rafael Nadal does it and how he managed to become the best tennis player in the freaking world playing with his off hand!!!

Practice. That's how.
You can become proficient at anything if you care enough about it and work at it.

I injured my right arm last Fall. All winter I threw lefty, everyday. I walk my dog in the woods everyday and I bring a disc or 2 with me and try and keep it on the trail. Or I throw full power in a field while my dog runs around. At first it was very awkward. But since I already knew the mechanics of how to throw, the learning curve was much faster than when I first started throwing righty.
Now I can throw about 90% LHBH as well lefty as I can throw RHBH. A couple weeks ago I beat one of my playing partners by 6 shots using only my left hand. I see courses in a whole new light and the way I play each hole is entirely different.

Now my right arm is healthy and usable again and I have another weapon to go with it.

Woah got out for the first time today to play lefty and didnt do all that bad! I was rather surprised with myself. No xstep or anything fancy yet but I'm getting the hang of it! Hope it just continues to go smoothly

So a few years back I injured my shoulder and the doc said no golf for at least a year. So I learned lefty. The learning curve is much faster because you don't teach yourself bad habits and you should know what to do. I was never rated over 900 till I played left handed, now 2 years later I am much better left handed than right but use both. Practice in the field and keep doing that. 6 months from now you will be much better.

I have considered trying out lefty but have never actually done it I could throw better left handed in ultimate. I think I got more of my body into the throw its more like my natural baseball swing.
Maybe I will try it out

If you can hit a baseball right handed you can throw a disc left handed.

also agreeing with BENFTS. I was shockingly surprised at how quickly I was able to pick up lefty because of this.

So my right elbow was a bit sore today, but I wanted to get some practice throws in during my work break. I've never thrown a disc left handed before mainly because of what happens when I try to throw a baseball or rock with my left hand...it ain't pretty. However, I quickly found that throwing a disc left handed is nothing like a baseball. I was actually getting some pretty accurate shots between 100'-150' throwing my Challenger down a narrow tunnel-type fairway behind my office.

I've been trying to learn a consistent forehand for about a year, but I'm still wildly inconsistent at it. I think throwing lefty may be the way to go. I actually threw better left handed during my 15 minute break than I did right handed for many years. I'm definitely going to work this shot into my game. My main problem was foot-work, so I mainly practiced with one-step throws, instead of x-steps, which felt awkward and made my throw more inconsistent.