• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard3

I was in my local pias a few weeks ago looking for a gstar L3 for the winter...found a pro leopard in the new gummy pro blend that was flat enough for me to be happy. No embossment just labeled "pro" in ink pen.

Innova needs to get the Leo3 released in Pro. Pro is the best standard Leopard plastic and there is no reason for the Leo3 to not follow suit. And the Innova driver pro plastic has been really good recently.

Lost my Leopard3 this fall and finally decided to get a couple new ones. These two are 168s with the Leo3 name embossed on the underside. When looking at them I saw something new to me: there is a "3" right after the innova webadress on the underside. What does this mean? Are they starting to note runs on the discs? Something else? I only have two other embossed discs (RocX3 & Teebird3) and they don't have anything after the webadress.

Edit: they are Champion

Last edited:
Lost my Leopard3 this fall and finally decided to get a couple new ones. These two are 168s with the Leo3 name embossed on the underside. When looking at them I saw something new to me: there is a "3" right after the innova webadress on the underside. What does this mean? Are they starting to note runs on the discs? Something else? I only have two other embossed discs (RocX3 & Teebird3) and they don't have anything after the webadress.

Edit: they are Champion

I just got a Star Leopard3. It's embossed, and it has that "3" number after the webaddress, just as you describe above.

My Star TL3 is embossed, and there is no "3" after the webaddress.

I just got a Star Leopard3. It's embossed, and it has that "3" number after the webaddress, just as you describe above.

My Star TL3 is embossed, and there is no "3" after the webaddress.

Interesting :) Might be something, might be nothing. Atleast it's something to ponder while waiting for the snow and ice to melt.

Mild bump. Got a Hannah Leatherman Swirly Star Leopard3. Max wt. (175g). Feels very good in the hand, both in plastic and disc shape.

Took it out for my round today, along with my Champion Leo3 at 167g. The HL Leo3 is more overstable in the finishing fade, being max wt. and fresh out of the box, but it flies really well, as does the Champ Leo3. I can see replacing a Star TL or any plastic FD with the HL Leo3. Ill have to see how long it takes to season in, and see if it becomes more understable like a regular Star Leo3.

How's that Gibson Leo3? (Might want to reply in the Leo3 thread to avoid hijacking this one...)

I bought a Gibson luster champ Leo3 using some store credit. I use the phrase "picked up" loosely, since I have ordered it but haven't seen it yet.

I have to admit, part of the reason I picked it was watching Drew thread one of those DeLa holes with it. I'm curious how the luster plastic will be, as well as how overstable it will fly compared to my 175 champ Leopard.

I bought a Gibson luster champ Leo3 using some store credit. I use the phrase "picked up" loosely, since I have ordered it but haven't seen it yet.

I have to admit, part of the reason I picked it was watching Drew thread one of those DeLa holes with it. I'm curious how the luster plastic will be, as well as how overstable it will fly compared to my 175 champ Leopard.

I like my production Champ Leo3s, and am curious to hear how the Gibson luster one flies. It'd be fine with me if it's a little more stable than the production Champs....

Is your Leo a beefy one? I've got one that is like a -1,.5 flight and would be curious as to how these fly. Maybe I need to revisit the Champ Leo3, now that I have the ability to throw my Champ Leo 350'.

Is your Leo a beefy one? I've got one that is like a -1,.5 flight and would be curious as to how these fly. Maybe I need to revisit the Champ Leo3, now that I have the ability to throw my Champ Leo 350'.

I'm not sure if it's beefy, really. But it's definitely more overstable than the DX and Pros that I've thrown. Let's just say if I really want it to turn over I need to put anny on it. -1, 0.5 might be right. It's a nice disc, but more for straight or slightly turning shots than real turnovers and hyzer flips.

Thread bump for the Leo3! I recently switched back to my old Leopard3 after using a CE JLS as my understable control slot. The JLS was just too long sometimes.. no regrets switching back. Fell right back in the groove with the leopard's flight.

So here's my question - these new Drew Gibson Leopards.. Drewpards if you will... how are they flying? I love luster plastic, so I'm really considering grabbing a couple. Also are they all max weight? I havent seen any that aren't.

I'd also like to know about the Luster Leo3s. Very curious about stability, as a lot of molds seem to get beefier in Luster.
I've been making the transition from old Pro Leopards to Leo3s, and it's going well. The new glows are great, the plastic feels good and they are incredibly flat; even more so than my early Star which was flatter than the ones I've seen recently. Leo3s have taken over my fairway slot, and even become my go-to touch sidearm disc for tunnels and sweeping shots.

Here is the the album containing profile comparisons: http://imgur.com/a/zOMqoqL
I'm on the iPad and couldn't bring the images down from their huge size in a time effective manner, so you all get the link, sorry.
All comparisons have the Drew Gibson Luster on the left side. On the right side is a new Glow Champion Leopard3, a Star Leopard3 from I think the first run, and for good measure a shot with my trusty old PFN Pro Leopard.

The details for the three Leopard3s are as follows:
175 gram, Yellow Luster, 10/10 condition, brand new
175 gram, Glow Champion, 9/10 condition, used in field practice for a couple weeks
175 gram, Yellow Star, 9/10 condition, from the bag reserve stash

I have a relatively strong arm, and was throwing these around 250-325 feet forehand, and 300-350 feet backhand on low lines, trying to mimic the experience of dense woods golf while in the park.
Getting to the point, as far as flight goes, all three Leopard3s are more similar than they are different, by even the most critical measurements, but there are differences.

First off, the Gibson Luster was not as "overstable" as I've heard it built up to be. It would ride up just a hair on a good rip, glide straight for 75 percent of its flight, then begin a gradual forward fade with little skip. It is naturally a very straight-stable disc, with only a hint of turn when new. Compared to a regular Champion Leopard, the high speed turn happens sooner in the flight, and the fade happens later. In my experience, this seems to be a common theme with the "3" top discs.

The Star leopard3 had many of the qualities of the Luster, but would ride the straight glide longer before its modest fade. In the hand you could feel the tiny extra bit of shoulder, which I personally prefer, as it seemed to make it easier to grip.

The Glow Champion seems to be the relative outlier here. I think that the extra flat top takes away some of its high speed stability, as well as some glide at the end. It will get to the destination a bit faster, but with more wiggle before a larger, more sideways skip.

All of these differences being said, not even the most resilient HSS of the Luster, nor the extra fade of the Glow was even close to my 8/10 Glow Teebird3.

Part of me wishes I had a stock Champion to compare as well. Unfortunately, when the Leopard3 first came out, I went and bought one immediately, headed straight to the course, and the very first hole grip locked it into a headwind, watching it sail deep into a blackberry thicket. I'm lucky I ever gave the mold a second chance.

I haven't thrown other Leopard3s, but a Gibson Luster is in my bag. It's done really good for woods golf, good at hitting gaps with a little bit of turn but not flipping. Not beefy by any means. And AI like the luster champ plastic.

The Leo3 is pretty darn awesome, Star has been my favorite. The ones I've thrown have been pretty true to the numbers and go very far when ripped but are also controllable for shot shaping and the woods.

Finally got some field work in with my glow champ Leo3. Feels great in the hand and when throwing. Fresh out of the box, it's a little more overstable than my Champ Leo3s and my Hannah Leatherman Star Leo3s. The glow Leo3 flies similar to a Star TL for me. Good disc; I'm going to work with it some more.