• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Leopard3

Thanks for that advice!

When you're referring to your favorite woods Leopard (in GStar), you're talking about the Leopard, not the Leopard3 right? Just making sure.

The Champ and Star being too stable in the Leopard...same goes for the Leopard3 as well?

TripleB

Either or, I own both, and to be honest, I don't see much difference flight wise in either.

TripleB, when I recommend a Pro Leopard to you, it's for a reason. It's not just a haphazard guess. Pro Leos hold their stability just fine in the woods. Saying if you play in the woods, you need a Star Leopard, maybe applies if you are throwing your Leopard over 50 mph and 300 feet. The blunter rim drivers like the Leo actually last a very long time in Pro plastic. They glide better than any other plastic Innova makes (except Dx) and they take on a unique workability which is exactly what you want. Pro plastic is cheap. If you end up buying a new one every year, you're doing great.

Pro Leopard at around 167g would do you well. It should be more stable than you think it will be when you first get it. It takes some use before you'll start to see it flying like the numbers. Star Leopard probably won't get to the flight numbers for your for a loooooong time.

Leo3 in Gstar is fine too but you don't need it unless you decide you like your discs to be in the flatter side of things. There's not that much of a difference between the two and you would probably not notice the difference until you are much better. The Champ Leo3s would probably be too Overstable for your current power level.

I'm trying to point you in the direction of tried and true classics that have solid and devout followings. The Pro Leopard is one of those discs.

Last edited:
My last pro leopard got fairly flippy in 6 months. It's still really good but it didn't hold that initial stability like other pros have for me.

I'm sure there is a variance in the pro plastic that's out these days. I'm probably just completely spoiled by the old runs of stiff pro factory seconds that were available at the factory store a few years ago. I have no idea what they are like now.

For a guy who's not throwing 250 feet, I still stand by the Pro Leo as a go to choice.

I'll stop jacking this thread now... Pro Leo3s would be sweet!

I'm sure there is a variance in the pro plastic that's out these days. I'm probably just completely spoiled by the old runs of stiff pro factory seconds that were available at the factory store a few years ago. I have no idea what they are like now.

For a guy who's not throwing 250 feet, I still stand by the Pro Leo as a go to choice.

I'll stop jacking this thread now... Pro Leo3s would be sweet!

100% agree

Pro Leopards are awesome. I love them for the woods.

Some.of the old pro almost felt closer to star. I have some old pro desyroyers and wraiths that have been very durable.

My favorite disc in my bag, by far, is my Leopard DX 167g. For some reason, not sure if it's the rim size or the rim shape or what, this disc seems to come out of my hand perfectly every time!!!

What weight and plastic is everyone throwing in the Leopard3?

TripleB

I own a 167g Champion Leo3. It flies a lot like my FD and S-TL, but doesn't get quite the distance of those discs. It (Leo3) is a "tweener" disc for me, so I don't normally bag it, but it's a good disc.

Pro Leopard at around 167g would do you well.

Leo3 in Gstar is fine too but you don't need it unless you decide you like your discs to be in the flatter side of things.

Any idea why they don't make the Leo3 in the Pro plastic (just DX, GStar, Star, Champion)? If I were to try a Leo3, which plastic is the closest to the Pro plastic?

I'm not sure what you would call the Pure, but I love the extremely flat top of the Pure.

Thanks!

TripleB

Any idea why they don't make the Leo3 in the Pro plastic (just DX, GStar, Star, Champion)? If I were to try a Leo3, which plastic is the closest to the Pro plastic?

I'm not sure what you would call the Pure, but I love the extremely flat top of the Pure.

Thanks!

TripleB

Seems Innova is moving away from pro. What was the last new disc in pro? Vcobra?

I think gstar would be pretty close.

Thanks!

TripleB

A pro plastic Leo3 would be great. They probably just would not sell enough of them to make it worth their while. Who knows?

Gstar Leo3 in the mid to high 160s if you must. They are nice and flat and feel pretty nice in the hand.

But since you are loving that flat top of the Pure, I still think an ESP Buzzz is the way to go for you. Feel one up if you get the chance. They are FLAT.

A pro plastic Leo3 would be great. They probably just would not sell enough of them to make it worth their while. Who knows?

Gstar Leo3 in the mid to high 160s if you must. They are nice and flat and feel pretty nice in the hand.

To anyone: how close is the flight of a G Star Leopard3 compared to the DX Leopard3?

Today I threw my Leo3 further than I have ever thrown it before, I'm guessing 325+ feet, unfortunately it was way right (grip lock) and into the deep thicket...thought I saw where it landed but no luck finding it.

Thinking of replacing the DX with something a little more durable but with a similar flight path.

I have the Leopard in the Pro plastic but have found absolutely no love for it!

Thanks!

TripleB

T
Today I threw my Leo3 further than I have ever thrown it before, I'm guessing 325+ feet, unfortunately it was way right (grip lock) and into the deep thicket...thought I saw where it landed but no luck finding it.

Make sure you are setting up your feet correctly. You should be able to trace a line, roughly, from your rear foot's toes through your front foot's heel to the target. My point is that if you are setting up too straight at the target, you may have ripped a shot properly to the right but thought it was "griplock" relative to your incorrect starting position. A 325+ Leo shot is great, good luck replicating it on line.

Make sure you are setting up your feet correctly. You should be able to trace a line, roughly, from your rear foot's toes through your front foot's heel to the target. My point is that if you are setting up too straight at the target, you may have ripped a shot properly to the right but thought it was "griplock" relative to your incorrect starting position. A 325+ Leo shot is great, good luck replicating it on line.

Thank you for that advice!

Yea, when I first let it go I didn't think grip lock, I thought...that disc really ripped out of my hand. Then when I saw where it was heading I thought grip lock but you may be absolutely right - I may have just lined up incorrectly!

If I could get that same throw headed in the right direction that would be incredible...going to a field tomorrow to try and replicate that throw...in the direction I want it to fly.

Of course it will have to be with a different disc.

Thanks!

TripleB

If I could get that same throw headed in the right direction that would be incredible...going to a field tomorrow to try and replicate that throw...in the direction I want it to fly.

If you're practicing in an open field, try to get the disc to release where the body is allowing it to happen...basically don't try to hit the line exactly how you think you should. Set your body up and see where the discs are going. See if there is a trend that the good shots are all coming out 10 degrees right, then see if your stance is too straight rather than too closed. If you set up too straight and are always trying to hit the straight line, you'll early release relative to your stance every time because you are thinking about where you are trying to throw. If you just let your mechanics take over, then evaluate after if there is a "griplock" trend on better throws...then see if it's actually a negative griplock that you need to fix, or if you are simply setting up incorrectly but your mechanics are doing ok. Think about if someone is trying to serve in tennis with a straight/parallel stance...they are set up for failure from the start, and a higher velocity serve will look way off line compared to what they are "trying" to do.

Same jolly rancher green champ Leo3 in the throw bag nearly 2 years and hundreds of rounds.
It has relaxed a bit best, but not a ton. Longer throwing Meteor skills needed to develop to replace some shots a champ pre-Barry used to cover. Less tolerance to shaping I feel. Big hyzer flips are not on the menu.

I still feel it is a long term experiment for me. I am also debating dropping fairways save one honey 'straight' teebird.

The leopard3 has really grown on me this year. It's probably my most thrown fairway and I love teebirds.

I feel guilty.

If you're practicing in an open field, try to get the disc to release where the body is allowing it to happen...basically don't try to hit the line exactly how you think you should. Set your body up and see where the discs are going. See if there is a trend that the good shots are all coming out 10 degrees right, then see if your stance is too straight rather than too closed. If you set up too straight and are always trying to hit the straight line, you'll early release relative to your stance every time because you are thinking about where you are trying to throw. If you just let your mechanics take over, then evaluate after if there is a "griplock" trend on better throws...then see if it's actually a negative griplock that you need to fix, or if you are simply setting up incorrectly but your mechanics are doing ok. Think about if someone is trying to serve in tennis with a straight/parallel stance...they are set up for failure from the start, and a higher velocity serve will look way off line compared to what they are "trying" to do.

I did this today...no walk/run up, simply stand still, turn my body back, and then let it fly until I got my release point just right. I then added the X step* to approach and with those two items I think I added at least 20 to 25 feet (not every time but most of the time) to all the disc I tried (Leo 168g, Teebird 163g, Roc 169g, Mirage 170g, Stingray 171g). My Comet I know I added 30 to 40 feet....as crazy as it sounds it flew almost as far as my Leopard...and it held its line like an arrow!

Thanks for the the lesson....it was a great help....I look forward to working more with it tomorrow!!!

*being a tennis player I was told to never let my feet cross for fear of tripping myself...so until today I basically did a shuffle step on my approach. The X-Step seemed to help me get more meat behind my throw as well as a lower (and more consistent) release and flight.

I am also debating dropping fairways save one honey 'straight' teebird.

Funny thing about the Teebird...I only use my DX on one hole on my local course (unless I need to throw overhand) because not many curve left or they curve left a bit sooner than the Teebird's length. I took it to a field today and let it rip...straight as and arrow. It was almost like having another DX Leopard in the bag.

The leopard3 has really grown on me this year. It's probably my most thrown fairway and I love teebirds.

I hated my Leopard3 the first day I threw it...didn't seem as long and it finished more left than I wanted. A few days later and it was like a whole new disc....so looooooong and straight!!!!! And then after falling in love with it I threw it about 325' way right (still straight as an arrow though) and lost it in some deep thorny brush!!! Went back to my 168g Leopard today and it just wasn't the same.

Thanks for everyone's input!

TripleB

Innova needs to get the Leo3 released in Pro. Pro is the best standard Leopard plastic and there is no reason for the Leo3 to not follow suit. And the Innova driver pro plastic has been really good recently.

Latest posts