• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Let's talk about the Surge!

Are you a fan of the Surge?

• Total voters

sidewinding

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Just got a brand new Z Surge and love it. The best way I can describe it's flight is like a longer Teebird. If you really crush it it turns a tiny bit during the high speed portion of it's flight but then finishes real straight with almost no fade. The distances I was getting with this disc are comparable to my go to, seasoned Champion Destroyer.

I played a full round with it at Old Settlers Park in Round Rock which has 2 holes that are >1000', two that are >700', one that is 650', and a bunch over 400' and the Surge definitely passed the test.

Is anyone else a fan?

yep!!! I got one and its definetly found a spot in my bag...You explained it to a T as to how it flies...it always turns over on me in the beginning of the flight and then flexes back..I havn't gotten as much distance yet as I do my Star Boss, but I don't give it enough opportunity!! Its definetly a nice disc!

Surge is generally my go to distance driver. I have the ESP and I love it. You described the flight path perfectly except mine seems to have some pretty hard fade at the end, but nothing too bad that it really affects my accuracy

I have a Z Surge as well and was told it was almost exactly like a Wraith, but I can't turn it over as much, but I still love it. My go to distance driver.

Big fan - have 2 FLX's - the older of the two is more broken in (not sure how since there is not much wear to the plastic) I love the straight flight - the HS turn is subtle but it never scares me that its gonna flip - it really doesnt have much fade at all. This is definitely the straightest driver i own - its weird i thought something was wrong with it because i've been able to throw this much straighter than a Teebird. It has amazing ability to glide

cant throw discrap for personal reasons. lol....classic....

the Z surge in the clear/white with the 'Funkytown Flyers' stamp is the bomb....well, not the bomb, but the very controlled distance fuse part of the bomb....

On a side note; my wife got a new Surge SS that is actually slightly more stable than my new Surge yet it's SS and it's a lighter weight. Go figure.

Love the Surge! I can probably throw it farther than any other disc in my bag. It is a must have for me at Old Settler's.

I now have 5 150 class (1 beat all to h*ll) and a Nate Doss.....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them.

I just purchased one and haven't really learned how to throw it yet. I am looking forward to getting all that extra distance everyone is talking about.

I just purchased one and haven't really learned how to throw it yet. I am looking forward to getting all that extra distance everyone is talking about.

Just like the Wraith, Force, Destroyer, etc you will see more distance right away. You just have to know you can throw it with enough spin for it to work well for you. I prefer it to the Wraith but found it was a good disc to move to when I found I was turning the Sidewinder over too much.

Disc Golf Center rates it as a 10/5/-1/3. I think it's more like an 11...which would make it a Wraith. Ok, back to my original point but I think it's a bit more stable than the Wraith.

I have a 171 Z Surge SS that I fell in love with on my first throw. On its first field practice it outflew every other driver in my bag. For me, it flies like you describe your Surge's flight. Not only does it bomb, but it also has more control and less fade than my 169 Champ Wraith and 171 Star Destroyer.

I am a Flash thrower. Love the disc recently got a Surge ESP. I can throw the Surge a tab longer but need to be a bit more wide open. This thing is an S Curve Beast. Gives me an extra 35-50 feet. TONS of glide.

I pl;ayed a round with jroll who was nice enough to let me try a bunch of his Discraft stuff, one of which was the Surge in his bag. I was honestly shocked at how far that thing flew on my first try without really knowing what to do with it. I would love to get a Z Surge soon but I think I am going to be building my Discraft collection from short to long which means the Buzzz and Wasp are my next purchase.

The Surge SS is rediculous. Threw one with a ton of snap and it leveled out and went FOREVER. My buddies google mapped our local course and used google's map measurement tool to see exactly how far we were throwing. According to google maps, my throw went somewhere in the neighborhood of 450' (no tailwind and witnesses). I haven't really had much of a chance to duplicate it as my buddy took back the disc but I plan on getting one to complement my Nate Doss signature Surge.

My ESP Surge is ridiculously long, it goes practically dead straight for 200' feet or so and then gently s curves for another ~150'. I don't even have to really throw hard for it to get better than 325' either. Either my mechanics are getting better or that disc is badass.

I have an ESP surge is my furthest disc. One thing I noticed about the surge though is the stability rating isnt the same on every surge. Mine is a 1.7 and I wouldnt change it.

I have several ESP Surges (couple 174g and a 167g) and a Z Surge SS (174g). Have loved them all, I will say I have not noticed to much of a difference between my SS and other surges. But I recently picked up the 167g and man do I feel stupid for not getting a lighter one earlier, that thing just reaffirmed why I love this disc so much.

My go to distance driver....it was tough replacing my Wraith, but it had to be done:)

Latest posts