• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

looking for a straight driver

Which is a better driver? Has anyone thrown both, and prefers one?

• Innova Krait

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Surge SS

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
My only experience was with a 175g Star SL. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pro has less stability/fade. The pro Starfire is made in the SL mold, correct?

I remember very well what it was to throw 300'. In fact, I don't throw nowadays a lot further. In my experience, one throwing around 300' throws a speed 7 disc as far as a speed 10 disc. So no reason to throw a SL, when you can do the same with a slower disc that's easier to throw.

mikepowles said:
I want a fairly straight flying distance driver, and think that either the krait or surge ss would be a good option for me. They have the exact same flight ratings, so I am wondering if anyone has tried both and has a preference.
I have direct personal experience of throwing 300', and I use a 155 blizzard Krait as my overstable distance driver. For my throw, the Krait has a strong fade so I flex it for distance (throw it on a slight anny and count on the fade to bring it back). I'm definitely not using the Krait if I need a straight line with minimal fade, but it is great for going straight and then fading and skipping around things.

If I need a straight distance shot I hyzer-flip something understable - currently Mamba or Diamond, but previously worn Champ Valkyries. The degree of hyzer varies with the disc, wind direction, etc. Worn DX Teebirds thrown low and hard will also do this shot beautifully, as will Champ or Star Leopards thrown on a slight hyzer. One of my longest throws ever was with a 150 Champ Leopard.

By the way, many scoff at the Mamba but I have seen some big-arm folks throw amazing hyzer bombs with them. I have found Star Mambas to be more consistently controllable than Champs.

I have found the power ratings in Joe's Flight Chart to be generally spot-on, so I have never tried a Starfire, SL, or Surge SS, since they are rated for people throwing 325-375'.

Good luck!

slowarm said:
I remember very well what it was to throw 300'. In fact, I don't throw nowadays a lot further. In my experience, one throwing around 300' throws a speed 7 disc as far as a speed 10 disc. So no reason to throw a SL, when you can do the same with a slower disc that's easier to throw.
It never worked that way for me. At 300, I did not hit diminishing returns until about speed 12. Archon was the the first driver I hit 300 with, and it was well past where slower drivers were going.

Why do you guys think I throw 300 max? I said I want to use the SL for 300 foot straighter shots with just a little fade at the end, and I will be throwing the pretty low. I am a 350-375 thrower. I use a nuke ss or a tern for long stuff, depending on how the hole is shaped. I also have a teerex that I put out to 325 regularly with a pretty hard fade at the end, but duh, its a fucking teerex. I think the SL will be good because I will be able to throw it 85 to 90 percent power, head high, and get 300 with it with little fade. I could go with a t-bird or leopard, but I like having the flexibility with a disc to power down to 280, or give it all I got for 370. I wouldnt be able to do it with a speed 7 disc. I do throw a couple fairway drivers, one of which (mvp amp) I can hyzer flip for a pretty straight 290 feet with a little fade. But I cant put an amp out to 370 even if I tried, so the SL will be a good "everything" disc

Thanks for the clarification, probably a confusion over you saying you're looking for a distance driver, then quoting that distance, but I'll say it again: 300' is below the SL's proper working range. Since you're a 350-375' thrower I'm going to narrow down to the best driver for the true straight shot: TeeBird. It's actually supposed to work at those distances for that type of shots. The pretty low line will help with this even more.

Iirc i have thrown tbs for eight years. The only one that was beaten into lss one even on a seven to eight foot high throw was a dx that once bent thirty degrees down in the wing before i twisted it back to shape. The rest have been lss three. Damn i want to have a hss zero lss one tb. I would also like to know the ball park speed and spin of jubuttib. I am at fifty plus mph twenty to twenty four revs per second. Not all my discs are defective. Jubuttib has owned even a wider variety of stabilities in tbs than i have. None of mine have been nearly as overstable as the one that is close to a c pd.

Pmantle i already described your error in my previous post. In one word it could be summerized as safety. Against user error and not needing to nail power nose angle hyzer and height perfectly each time and lucking out in the landing not skipping left bh. Which is why i have this to say to mikepowles. Sure head height lucky non right rh skips to three hundred with the sl can work but it is risking a lot and penalizing erred shots wind reading etc. Tb and pd are safer bets and the pd tends to fade and skip. Olf could work too.

JR said:
Pmantle i already described your error in my previous post. In one word it could be summerized as safety. Against user error and not needing to nail power nose angle hyzer and height perfectly each time and lucking out in the landing not skipping left bh. Which is why i have this to say to mikepowles. Sure head height lucky non right rh skips to three hundred with the sl can work but it is risking a lot and penalizing erred shots wind reading etc. Tb and pd are safer bets and the pd tends to fade and skip. Olf could work too.

There was no error. Let's look again, shall we?

This kind of thing gets repeated on board a lot. It's flat out objectively wrong. It's as if some of you have no memory of throwing those distances. The SL is perfect for that. Speed 10. -1 and only 2. I won't even get into the mid and t-bird advice.

Sentence #1. Fact. It's not debatable.

Sentence #2. My opinion, and I stand by it. Same for 3.

Sentence #4. Again, my opinion. The next sentence backs it up with ratings that are dead on considering how many discs are not rated accurately.

#5. The T-bird stuff just isn't helpful. Again, my opinion.

No, you really did not describe an error.

Wow another one like that once more. We have seen that before many times. Safety. Toss a full power boss and putter toss in a tunnel case closed. And i will not answer you because you pegged yourself and i am happy to judge by the demerits of those that have gone before you so the only reason for me to reply is to get personal har har. Yeah i just had one beer and i think you cannot read even if i had not. I hope to not find out how much exactly your powrers of analysis lack.

Clarification this is in jest not meant to insult. Much. I have little faith in anyone making those kinds of mistakes in thinking. It is annoying how common it is. So i have little interest in continuing this discourse since usually people that are so wrong got there because of so much that is wrong in their education and thought processes that they are unable to learn enough without too much effort.

Sound harsh you think. Reality is that it is a faq here that you failed in. Deal with it. Abc is easy do not fight it. At this point piss and moan is the standard reply so my reply is that Shakespeare knew the futility of fighting against the laws of nature centuries ago. In writing about the king commanding the tide to not raise the water and wet his feet. Guess who lost. That describes my interest in continuing as well. It seems to be a law of nature that those that resist facts continue to stay so. Fine.

Oh dear...here we go again. The OP decided to get a SL. End of discussion. Case closed.

JR said:
Wow another one like that once more. We have seen that before many times. Safety. Toss a full power boss and putter toss in a tunnel case closed. And i will not answer you because you pegged yourself and i am happy to judge by the demerits of those that have gone before you so the only reason for me to reply is to get personal har har. Yeah i just had one beer and i think you cannot read even if i had not. I hope to not find out how much exactly your powrers of analysis lack.

Clarification this is in jest not meant to insult. Much. I have little faith in anyone making those kinds of mistakes in thinking. It is annoying how common it is. So i have little interest in continuing this discourse since usually people that are so wrong got there because of so much that is wrong in their education and thought processes that they are unable to learn enough without too much effort.

Sound harsh you think. Reality is that it is a faq here that you failed in. Deal with it. Abc is easy do not fight it. At this point piss and moan is the standard reply so my reply is that Shakespeare knew the futility of fighting against the laws of nature centuries ago. In writing about the king commanding the tide to not raise the water and wet his feet. Guess who lost. That describes my interest in continuing as well. It seems to be a law of nature that those that resist facts continue to stay so. Fine.
I'm now dumber for having read this. Safety? Bwahahahahah

I am not saying that it cannot work at least when you have a landing spot with tall grass that reduce or eliminate skips but given the difficulty of that shot simple things like tiring out in a tournament can savage the score. When another disc could be much more forgiving. Different strokes i guess but different scores most likely too for two equally good players from equipment alone.

SL for a 300' straight shot when you max out at 375' is just silly. I used to do stuff like that when I first started playing and am worse off now for doing so. I am sure that I slowed my progress in the sport by trying to force a square peg into a round hole instead of suffering through some growing pains. I think that most of the people on this board have made this mistake themselves or know someone who has and are just trying to keep someone else from repeating their mistakes.

JR, I agree with you on the SL but not on the Teebirds. Most of mine have been fadeless lasers, especially the 12x champs (not jolly launcher).

I must have the shittiest luck in getting tbs or i am doing something wrong. Well i could always stop the wrist harder for a few times a day when i am fully warmed up which is rare. Any more than that and i am hurting. Still i am not exactly a spin deficient thrower even if i am not the king of spin. I have one dyed 11x and two 12x champs plus dxs and a star 150. That star is still more fading than a no flash tl.

Jewdy said:
SL for a 300' straight shot when you max out at 375' is just silly. I used to do stuff like that when I first started playing and am worse off now for doing so. I am sure that I slowed my progress in the sport by trying to force a square peg into a round hole instead of suffering through some growing pains. I think that most of the people on this board have made this mistake themselves or know someone who has and are just trying to keep someone else from repeating their mistakes.

This.

Jewdy said:
JR, I agree with you on the SL but not on the Teebirds. Most of mine have been fadeless lasers, especially the 12x champs (not jolly launcher).

I just bought a couple of TBs, and they have been rather beefy. Not quite FB over stable, but more over stable than I expected; maybe close to Eagle X overstable. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

I keep one Champion T-bird and go through several DXs a season due to a certain hole. The stabilities are not similar at all. I can't turn the Champion at all(350 with drivers), but have no problem turning the DXs some.

SL is awesome! I have used it for two rounds and done a little field testing, and it does what I wanted and more. If I power down to 80-85 percent, it goes really straight with a fairly mild fade at the end, resulting in a 300 foot drive. If I really crank it up, I can get a nice s-curve where it ends up straight from where I threw it, and about 370 feet. I own a nuke ss, but I can throw this thing just as far and it is way better at powering down. So the case is now closed. Anyone wanna by a custom tournament stamp 174 gram nuke ss?

mikepowles said:
SL is awesome! I have used it for two rounds and done a little field testing, and it does what I wanted and more. If I power down to 80-85 percent, it goes really straight with a fairly mild fade at the end, resulting in a 300 foot drive. If I really crank it up, I can get a nice s-curve where it ends up straight from where I threw it, and about 370 feet.

Iconbanana1.gif

Latest posts