• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for new bag

Ok so I have been using a fade gear tourney bag for over a year now, but it has started to wear out, and I can never fill the bag all the way because it kills my shoulders and back especially if I do more than one round a day which I mean c'mon, who does only 1 round a day. I've been looking a several bags, and right now I really like the catalyst. I'm looking to spend about 150, but I can bump it up to get the ranger if it's worth the extra cash. The only real requirements I want for the bag is that it is a backpack.

Ok so I have been using a fade gear tourney bag for over a year now, but it has started to wear out, and I can never fill the bag all the way because it kills my shoulders and back especially if I do more than one round a day which I mean c'mon, who does only 1 round a day. I've been looking a several bags, and right now I really like the catalyst. I'm looking to spend about 150, but I can bump it up to get the ranger if it's worth the extra cash. The only real requirements I want for the bag is that it is a backpack.

I recommend getting a grip bag. I know it is a little bit over your budget but fits about 22 discs max. I maybe have 15-17 in it and they fit fine. Also lifetime warrenty is a bonus. i know 222 might be pricy but it is worth it.

I was looking at the new A14 Grip bags, think that's what their called, they look nice, but yes it is a little out of my price range, at least at this point.

My recommendation if you are going to drop 150ish - hold out, do the research, and if necessary skip a few plastic purchases :mad: to get the "one" you really want. I'd hate to drop 150 on a catalyst to later pick up a friends (grip, ergo2, ranger, etc.) and wish you had spent a bit more for the one you really wanted. If you stick to your 150 though you really won't have many choices for new but you may be able to snag a used, better quality bag from someone who decides they need the new grip and upgrade.

Also if possible - stalk your local league night and see if you can fondle a few of them to see which fits your needs better.

A great, under appreciated backpack bag is the Gateway Backpack. They have three sizes (Ozark, standard, mini). Personally I've had the Ozark (huge) and currently use the standard. They're pretty function driven without a whole lot of flair. The price point is great ($110-120) and usually come with some plastic too. While their materials aren't quite as durable as the top dogs, I haven't found them to be of low grade materials either. The standard backpack has several features that i really enjoy:
-internal putter pocket on the rear wall
-three zippered storage compartments
-two drink holders: one is large and insulated for Gatorades, the other has a zipper top for a large can.
-no frills. Mine is a two tone blue and gray bag and I appreciate that it's just a solid bag.
-loop on top. While it seems insignificant, the loop on top is great for hanging on tee posts with hooks
-lightweight: I have a simian backpack as well and I much prefer to carry the gateway backpack for the majority of rounds.

If you are interested in taking a look at the Gateway backpacks, shoot me a PM. I'm good friends with the guys at Gateway and can likely get you a nice deal. Hopefully this opened up another cheap and reliable option for you!

I have a catalyst and haven't had any issues with it so far, but I know others have. Mine has held up great, and is comfortable although it sounds like you get more rounds in than I do. They had a special on the green ones for awhile, but I don't know if that is still going on.

If you are willing to expand your price range just a bit, the Ergo 2 seems to be a very solid option. If I was buying a backpack right now that would be my choice (but only because a Simian would take forever to get).

Big Hyzer has some in stock and you can do custom colors as well.

Do you have a shop nearby that you can go try some bags on? Your torso length will really dictate the proper bag for your comfort. A bag that doesn't fit right, especially for someone who suffers from back pain already, will not work well.

I'd check out the Grip and Ranger. With the new series of Grip bags out, the originals might be able to be had for $150 on the secondary market.

JCassidy, I didn't even think of Gateway having bags, no-one throws Gateway where I live so I had forgotten. I'm going to take a look at them and see what I think.
Rallyguy, I haven't really looked at the Ergo2, but I know they have a good reputation, and if it comes to where I do decide to expand my price range a little bit, I will definetly look( probably will take a look since the Ranger is my #1 pick so far).
Badger, no where I live we don't have a big disc golf scene, only one course (ashe Park, Jefferson NC) and the closest shops are 2 and a half hours away but they don't have bags, so I really have to rely on my friends input and often ask online for advice for disc golf stuff. My buddy has a grip that he's wanting to sell, but it is used but in good condition for $180 when the new Rangers come out. But I think I would rather have a ranger anyway, but for now, I'm just exploring all options.

I've got a ranger and a grip. I don't think you can go wrong with either bag.

They're both a little out of the 150 you set, but ranger is pretty close.

If you are going to bump up to a ranger, go the extra 10-20 bucks and get an ergo2. It is 100 percent worth it and your shoulders will thank you for it.

If you like the look of the catalyst, get one. I have enjoyed mine for several months. Gateway is the only close competitor at the <$150 point

There are also threads dedicated to each of these bags in question, so you can also find out how people's experiences have progressed, what kind of problems appear w/each bag, the level of customer service involved w/replacing the bags if needed, etc

So after reading 40 or so pages under the ergo 2 thread, I think I have decided on the ergo 2 as my best fit, and my buddy is selling one so I can get a good deal on it I hope. That unless someone can come up with a good reason for me not to get it lol.

Something that helps my back a lot when I'm playing is to sit down, even if it's only for 30 seconds while somebody else is taking their shot. I hate carrying a stool, so I went with the Gorilla Boy Simian. Holds plenty of discs, tons of storage room for other stuff, and the built in stool is a fantastic thing to have. It is a little more expensive ($200+shipping) and you'll have a little bit of a wait, but it's very much worth it IMO.

This may sound kind of funny but I bought a 2 wheeled grocery cart thing from the local dollar store and use it to carry my disc bag and a little ice cooler. It was $25 and saves a lot of wear on my shoulder since just a little over a year ago I had surgery.

So I am going to buy my buddies ergo2. The bag is almost new but my one and only question about it is the warranty on it transferrable?

So I am going to buy my buddies ergo2. The bag is almost new but my one and only question about it is the warranty on it transferrable?

The warranty only protects against manufacturer defects. If you run into that issue down the road, just contact John at big hyzer and he will take care of you

Latest posts