• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

looking to try a new disc for side arm

OP what hole did you ace? I play there once in a while.

Hey, i messed up on which course, i meant the huntington course, Hole 11. The one that goes along the horse fence into the trees.

I am taking in everyones advice, trying to put it together as a general consensus. sounds like overall i need to go and just hit the practice field with a mid-range disc until i know i can keep it straight and flat. after that there is alot of personal preference. I heard nuke often, i found one of em, and tried using it on a few holes after my ape, and even though they are supposed to be similar, i have had very bad throws with it. the banshee and firebird sound interesting. but maybe i will just try my panther and leapard for throwing purposes.

It all really depends on the shot. I use more stable drivers for anything long and open (rhfh) such as bosses, nukes, rampages. I'll use a sidewinder or a beast for anything that needs a straighter or anny controlled line. I'll use a pro pig for all distance forehand approaches. Best fh approach disc on the market. Starting out with a slower driver or mid will help a ton. Wish I did that when I started. Also wish I would have worked on my backhand game more. Rule of thumb, develop both and use which ever makes for a more consistent shot on that hole. IE) Don't throw a forehand on a hole where a backhand route is the safer shot just because your forehand has progressed quicker than your bh and vise versa. My game definitely now suffers because I didn't approach the game correctly when I first started playing.

Any disc can work just fine for a sidearm throw. It all depends on the shot you need to throw.

If you just want a slower general purpose driver that will fly reliably with good form but isn't so overstable to hide bad form, I'd second the Teebird recommendation.

People would probably be surprised is they tried flicking understable discs once in a while. Roadrunners are a really fun FH distance driver for example, and leopards make great intro drivers.

Any disc can work just fine for a sidearm throw. It all depends on the shot you need to throw.

If you just want a slower general purpose driver that will fly reliably with good form but isn't so overstable to hide bad form, I'd second the Teebird recommendation.

People would probably be surprised is they tried flicking understable discs once in a while. Roadrunners are a really fun FH distance driver for example, and leopards make great intro drivers.

A Sidewinder is one of my main FH drivers.

EAGLE. Learn to throw this FH and it will save you a ton of strokes. I throw mine as far as my destroyers just with a different line. Learn that you dont have to throw a fh hard to make it work. Super fast drivers tend to teach us to use torque to find distance. Throw those slower less stable discs, take them all to a field. If they flip and hit the ground, keep tweaking your throw and figure out how to keep it in the air. Everydisc can be a FH disc if you learn the lines and how to throw them. FH anny lines instead of a backhand hyzer can be a huge advantage, they penetrate as they are flexing out of the anny and make all the BH only guys drool. I throw BH and FH and I love the different options that it enables me

Destroyer, or a Wraith if the Destroyer is too fast (similar flight paths when FH) but I agree with the above poster and the foment about learning with an Eagle.

EAGLE. Learn to throw this FH and it will save you a ton of strokes. I throw mine as far as my destroyers just with a different line. Learn that you dont have to throw a fh hard to make it work. Super fast drivers tend to teach us to use torque to find distance. Throw those slower less stable discs, take them all to a field. If they flip and hit the ground, keep tweaking your throw and figure out how to keep it in the air. Everydisc can be a FH disc if you learn the lines and how to throw them. FH anny lines instead of a backhand hyzer can be a huge advantage, they penetrate as they are flexing out of the anny and make all the BH only guys drool. I throw BH and FH and I love the different options that it enables me

Second the Eagle, and the flick anny/turnover on BH hyzer lines. Really fun shot to throw if you get it right.

For up shots I really love forhanding a rhyno. Works great for hyzers, shots that fly straight, or turn over. For drives I agree with the teebird for versatility but throw a broke in star firebird for most of my hyzers.

I have used a star max for FH drives mainly because it is so predictible. Recently however I have been getting tons more distance from my DD2. Love that skip. Another slower speed disc I throw a lot is my champ monster.

My vote for a slower, overstable FH fairway driver is definitely the flat-top Firebird--must be flat! I think the disc speed is a 9, and it's a tried and true Ken Climo signature disc. Also great for thumbers and flick rollers. Glow flat-tops are probably the most affordable, but the newer 12xs with KC's signature are super flat and pretty cool. (I heard they're back to using the awesome 11x FB mold--not sure if that's a myth or not.)

For a driver that's not so overstable, try an Eagle.

I've thrown a lot of discs FH, my favorite FH driver has to be the Beast. I just love the line it flys on.

^^This. I use a Star TL or even my beat KC Pro Cheetah for sidearms pretty often. They're great for sidearm turnovers especially on the approach when my stance or the angle I need to throw on don't really allow for a reliable backhand.

I've just fell in love with the Krait for my sidearm drives. Between a Destroyer and a Krait you should be able to get some great distance and control shots.

Huntington #11 is a straight shot ~300', fence and tree line hugging left fairway, pin guarded by trees. Curious what line you took.....you lefty?

Regardless, sidearming still follows basic dg prinicples. Slow = smooth = far. Control your off axis torque. Good form trumps disc selection. Let the disc work for you. Etc.

For that hole, I would work on mastering something not overstable. Comet, Buzz Ss, leopard, maybe Anode.

As tread said, practice for form, prepare for frustration.

Also I can't sidearm discs with +rims effectively. I'm sure others can. Just something to consider when researching a new disc. (eg Lycan)

a leopard is a good low speed FH disc. It will definately turn over with too much power, but will fly nice far and straight if used properly.

I'm curious what kind of grip you use on FH shots. 2 fingers or 1. I use 1 finger (probably because I started doing it back when Star Wars was, and still should be, only a Trilogy.) If you use the 2 finger approach I hope you take my below comments with that in mind.

I primarily throw RHFH and based off what I've read off the thread the Eagle will be something I pick up before next time I play. Personally I've found that the Wraith works the best in all around situations 60-300' (Hyzer, Anny, Tommy, Thumber[I don't throw often]).

I haven't thrown the Ape or Eagle before but have thrown several of discs that were recommended above over the years (none I've liked more than the Wraith, but then again I haven't thrown some of them in quite a while.)

The Monster is a fairly good disc with a consistent Tommy, but for me it didn't doesn't hold a nice flat line like a Wraith (last thrown 2+ years ago).

I've found that the Leopard and TL are good from ~200' but they are a little narrow on the rim for my tastes and are very easy to add OAT on the release (last thrown this year.)

I have thrown a Buzz SS a few times FH but it feels inconsistent for FH (much unlike BH) due to it's narrow and wide rim but, when you throw the Buzz-SS it usually feels and looks pretty good (last thrown this year.)

I haven't thrown the Sidewinder or Orc consistently enough to give either of them a my 2 cents.

I'm more prone to select a slightly understable high speed driver (such as the Wraith) as a FH disc of choice so you can throw HUGE ARCING ANNY'S that cut waaay harder than BH hyzers on similar lines through the woods.

Did I mention I like the Wraith for all things involving disc/soul_collection^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H*H...:)

Lately I've tried a couple "Ape distance" drivers out (Legacy Cannon, L64 Bolt) and I wouldn't recommend either for you due to your familiarity with the Ape. However, if you are thinking of getting an inverse "C" (assuming you are a Rightey) off the box it will be easier to do with the Bolt.

All in all I can't say anything negative about the suggestions above as most of them seemed both helpful and informative. I would recommend working on the BH because it will open up more options.... and buying a Wraith :D