• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lucky 8/Crazy 8

EspressoPatronum

2.6K Cubic Zirconia Lifer
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Does anyone know if these courses are still "open"? I know you need owner permission to play, but there were indications on UDisc that they were unavailable/permanently closed. I'm going through this area in May and was really hoping to hit these.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2460

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2465

Honestly, you don't make it very easy to do research for you. I assume these are the courses you are looking at?

The description in the above links reads:

Private - call first (304) 523-4167.

Have you given this a try?

Looks like Johnny Sias is the owner. He has to be getting up there in years of experience. Though, it would be a special treat to play with a legend.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Johnny is an absolute joy of a person, very giving and has done a lot for the DG community. It is his private land, don't know if he is still allowing private players or not. I last played there in 2020. It is not a typically open course like Harmon Hills or Flip. It is an appointment only type play, but if he is available, he will gladly play with you.

Please report back here if you hear back from him. Would hate if he is no longer able to play...He won a WC very recently.

If that is no longer a good #, please PM me, I can call/email him and see if he is still doing casual rounds at his place.

Does anyone know if these courses are still "open"? I know you need owner permission to play, but there were indications on UDisc that they were unavailable/permanently closed. I'm going through this area in May and was really hoping to hit these.

I am well familiar with most of the courses between Ashland and Charleston (was my home base for years), so if you want any info on any of those, let me know.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2460

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2465

Honestly, you don't make it very easy to do research for you. I assume these are the courses you are looking at?

The description in the above links reads:

Have you given this a try?

Looks like Johnny Sias is the owner. He has to be getting up there in years of experience. Though, it would be a special treat to play with a legend.

Let us know how it goes.

Johnny is an absolute joy of a person, very giving and has done a lot for the DG community. It is his private land, don't know if he is still allowing private players or not. I last played there in 2020. It is not a typically open course like Harmon Hills or Flip. It is an appointment only type play, but if he is available, he will gladly play with you.

Please report back here if you hear back from him. Would hate if he is no longer able to play...He won a WC very recently.

If that is no longer a good #, please PM me, I can call/email him and see if he is still doing casual rounds at his place.

Sorry, I got a little lazy here and assumed most were familiar with these courses by name due to the rating. I will be better about linking to them next time.

I called the number and left a message, so we'll see. Certainly are other courses around I could hit but these sound cool and I love the unique experience of a good private course.

Alright, Johnny called me back this afternoon! He is still welcoming people to his courses. He said Crazy 8 is ready to go but Lucky 8 needs work due to an ice storm, so may or may not be playable when I am there. He also mentioned a new course going in near his house he could show me too; as everyone mentioned, he seems like a very nice guy.

He said something like "it's a pretty tough course..." - yes, I fully intend to perform terribly and be embarrassed, but I'm still going to do it.

So provided things don't fall through, it looks like I'll get to hit Crazy 8 at a minimum which will be awesome. Thanks all for the assistance.

Oh, and also, he is definitely still playing. He's about to leave on a 5 day trip to the Innova Factory Store in Rock Hill and a few other places. Sounds like he is keeping very busy.

When a multi-time world champ (who, at 70, just shot a 1010 rated round--IIRC) calls a course tough, yeah, par is a good score on every hole :) Glad to hear he is still flinging plastic. He makes 300' in the woods look so effortless. If it helps, Crazy 8 is the 'easier' of the two. Lots of shot variety. Pars are gettable, but if you are like me, those birdies look like they are just one great drive away. So you go for it. Then you hit a tree and go 40' down a hill. Enjoy!

Awesome to hear he is still healthy and willing to host! Been on my wishlist for years, since I played Indian Rock in 2017. Tried to play there a few years ago but he wasn't feeling up to it... Hoping he keeps getting after it for many years to come.

Last edited:

Latest posts