• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ludington Info

odysseus81

Par Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I am making our annual road trip to play flip and the mason county courses in mid october and was curious what are some great places to eat/drink/ hang in the evenings. We are from well over 10 hours away and could use any and all suggestions.

I noticed an Irish Pub there---Sportsmans Pub I think---is this place any good? Any local can't miss treasures? Brewery's? etc...

Thanks!

In this thread, tomjulio says this:

PS...when in Ludington, make sure you do two stops:
1. The Wesco gas station on Ludington Ave near Leviathan for their smiley face cookies.
2. The Frontier Store on old US31 before you turn to Beauty/Beast for the best micro brew selection within 50 miles of the course.

and

Small awesome brewery in Ludington called James Street Brewery. Mighty fine beer.
In Holland along the way, there is the New Holland Brewery.
..and yes, Founders and Bells to the south.
(drooling as I type this)

Sportsmans used to be the place, not so much anymore.

My personal faves:

Bars
1. James Street Station
2. James Street Brewery (can't miss for local micros)
3. Gasoline Alley (hole in the wall Nascar bar...cheap beer!)
4. Micheals on the weekends

Food
1. Chuckwagon Pizza
2. Brown Bear (in Shelby)
3. Blue Moon Cafe
4. Lucianos

Missouri bro,
We made the same trip last June. Between Flip and Flip we made some wrong turns going to lunch and found this great small town place in New Era, about 15 min from Flip. I think it was called Trail Side? It's a small place on the right side of the road, when you roll in from the north. Awesome food, friendly people. (Unlike people from MO they know about disk golf). Anyway, if it's still in season the fried asparagus was something you should try.

PS (I'm from St. Louis)
That new course in Rolla is so sick. I was passing through last week and OMG. Once they finish it will be a destination.

Flip City... Beauty and the Beast... Leviatan...

Jamesport Brewing Co. The ONLY place to eat and drink in Ludington.

Best beer selection around by FAR is at Pere Marquette Expeditions - weird name but it's a party store basically. They also carry discs. Also don't miss the homemade granola there it's awesome.

1649 South Pere Marquette Highway
Ludington, MI 49431-9323
http://www.pmexpeditions.com/

Make sure you hit the City beach in Ludington. About 100 ft of sand and beautiful Lake Michigan. That is a can't miss for sure.. Although in October may be colder...

I will second the Brown Bear in Shelby for Food. That place has awesome food and really nice people. My family always eats there multiple times on our trips to Flip.

Thanks for the info guys. We are all pretty stoked about heading up there. I wish we had a week to spend up there. Basically we have 2 full days to play and 1 morning. I am hoping to hit Flip, Leviathan, and the three Mason Cty courses.

Discoholic--What part of StL are you from, I grew up in Hazelwood. Lions Club in Rolla put in concrete tees last week and they have done a ton of work. I think you will be even more impressed next time you come up.

What days r u goin i think im goin to flip the weekend of the 16th. Just wait to see on the weather cause i dont feel like camping if it is to cold out. on that note does anyone know at cheap hotels or any near flip or mason country

We actually will be there during the week, we leave to go home on Sat morning. It is kind of a weird trip...but still a blast. I can't wait to get up there and play all of these awesome courses.

Best beer selection around by FAR is at Pere Marquette Expeditions - weird name but it's a party store basically. They also carry discs. Also don't miss the homemade granola there it's awesome.

1649 South Pere Marquette Highway
Ludington, MI 49431-9323
http://www.pmexpeditions.com/

^This. Great beer selection, discs, minis, snacky snacks, glow stuff (lights), etc.

The trip was amazing...none of the courses disappointed and Beast FAR exceeded my expectations. Weather was perfect and the trees were magnificent. The recommendations were great. I ate the big bear burger at Brown Bear and it blew my mind. James Street Brewery was awesome. If you go there, get the fish and chips. Best fried fish I have ever had and there was a ton of it. Some of the nicest courses I have ever played. Any of you that live in that area should count yourself blessed to have such amazing dg that close to you.

The trip was amazing...none of the courses disappointed and Beast FAR exceeded my expectations. Weather was perfect and the trees were magnificent. The recommendations were great. I ate the big bear burger at Brown Bear and it blew my mind. James Street Brewery was awesome. If you go there, get the fish and chips. Best fried fish I have ever had and there was a ton of it. Some of the nicest courses I have ever played. Any of you that live in that area should count yourself blessed to have such amazing dg that close to you.

PS...there may be a new additional 18 holer in the next year in the area to rival the others in rolling hills and elevation. Just saying. :)

For a nice food stop on the way to Flip City I found The Country Deli, it's just north of hiway 20 about
7 miles before Flip. It's a deli, cheese, meat (steaks) and ice cream store with great custom made sandwiches and wraps. You can eat in or carry out.

http://www.countrydairy.com/