• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MA1 for Worlds is FULL!!!

lol so your sayin the guy from france or where ever with the 998 rating that has won a number of open tournies over sea's isnt a bagger? in your book there is no advanced bagger? then you sir are a IDIOT.. :thmbdown:

call me "a idiot" and i throw grammar at you! :D

And if that guy wants to play advance for the rest of his life, he should be able to within our current system. An example is one for me. My goal is to be an upper level advance player one day. I don't have the ambition to be a pro in the sport. So if for some reason I become a 1000 rated player, I will be in a tough spot. Why pay more money every year and tournament, just to lose in a division you never envisioned playing.

Well, my idea could be modified. Could be something like this:
To play MA1, player must have accumulated 500 points and played in at least one MA1 event -OR - player must have accumulated 1000 total amateur points.

To play MM1, player must have accumulated 250 points and played in at least one MM1 or less protected Advanced divisions (in this case MA1 is only option) -OR- player must have accumulated 500 total amateur points.

These are just the thoughts of a madman.

You want the thoughts of a REAL madman? Why are points used at all? I asked this question when I was on the Ratings Committee 10(?) years ago, and was answered as if I were a loon. Call me crazy.

You want the thoughts of a REAL madman? Why are points used at all? I asked this question when I was on the Ratings Committee 10(?) years ago, and was answered as if I were a loon. Call me crazy.

Out of pure interest: What would be your alternative?

Ratings. With a stipulation on # of rounds played, if you wish.

Thats what I figured. Not an unreasonable way of doing it.

One problem would be the increased motivation for ratings manipulation in the form of more or less comical DNF-ing to preserve ones eligibility.
Which of course should be met with reporting by the TD - but as far as I can tell, rarely is.
Or even worse: Motivation for not playing tournaments at all once the criteria is met.

I can also see why they want to use the points to reward a combination of skill and participation - even if has some issues with perhaps rewarding the latter at tad too much for some peoples liking. Does not strike me as a particularly horrible way of doing it - and given that it is, apparently, the first time that invitees have filled the list, it can't have been a big issue in the past? (Please correct me if that assumption is what assumptions usually are. :))

And I think the "problem" also has to be viewed in the light that it took one month before the list was filled. I fully understand that some people could have financial reasons not register on day one, but out of those who wanted to partipate and met the points requirement or your potential ratings requirement - it seems to me that it would be a relative small group still left at the end of that month that would have a decent reason for feeling that they did not get a fair chance to sign up.

Just in the interest of full disclosure; Being a non US/CAN player I got my spot on the absolute weakest requirement (play one ranked tournament in 2011) and I would fail, this year at least, any probable requirement for points and rating. So read my comments in that light, if you think it might influence my opinion. (For the record I would have had no issue with the requirements ruling me out, given my stats at the time of registration)

In no other sport are players forced to go Pro, why does disc golf have to be different. In ball golf's infancy when pro's were not making much $, Bobby Jones played as an am. Yes he played against the pros of the time but he was not forced to move up and accept cash. In the current golf atmosphere players are not forced to move up to pro if they want to remain amateur. most do move up due to the opportunity(not guaranteed) to make a lot of $.

When a college bball player gets to be better than his competition is he forced to go pro to make it "fair" for everyone else? No he is given the option but is not forced. Same goes for football and many other sports.

My point is that no one should be forced into being pro or be called out for being a high rated am. These guys don't win most AM tourneys they play. They aren't really dominating the field they are competing at a higher level than the average player in the field. Sorry if they beat you but my thought is if you have a problem with it then you should Practice more.

Hate that Im not gonna be able to play Worlds :\ but good news is I will be at bradford with schleppy watching the pros tear it up!!

either you're a "bagger" who is rated too high or you're one who gets beat by "baggers" and want them to move out of your division.

thankfully, there are hundreds/thousands that fit between these two extremes.

for those who are in that spot where you're on the brink of moving up to intermediate, advanced, or whatever division it may be...don't let a nay sayer make that decision for you. make it based on your own game and comfort level. win or lose, it's your decision.

this is disc golf. most of us are amateurs. it's supposed to be fun at this level, right? keep having fun. complaining about who is in what division is no fun. but i suppose when you attach numbers that don't always fully describe or explain one's abilities, people will compare themselves to others.

we are not all-knowing people. i don't know how you stack up against pdga # yada yada. i don't know what courses you play. or how many tournament rounds you've played to have this number. we can't assume based on a number. but we can enjoy the game. seems like that is the first thing people forget based on a few of the comments i'm seeing as of late.

i have only played one tournament, which was at my local course. i played intermediate, having no tournament experience and not knowing how i stack up against most players. i won a sandbagger city t-shirt and now my rating is 965. and i don't care what you think about that. i won't say that i deserve this rating or that i play to that level, either. but the fact is i didn't know if i was ready for advanced, even playing at home.

don't worry, i'll play advanced and it will drop to 934 or so. then i'll play intermediate again...or be at the bottom of advanced and complain. ha. kidding. but just about the last part.

bottom line: have fun, people! at the end of the day, they are still numbers.

lol so your sayin the guy from france or where ever with the 998 rating that has won a number of open tournies over sea's isnt a bagger? in your book there is no advanced bagger? then you sir are a IDIOT.. :thmbdown:

I've played with Felix. He is a great guy but he is not going to run away with any tournament in Charlotte. Many of us here would win Pro tournaments in Alaska, but what does that mean. Try to win one in Raleigh. Are you assuming the skill level of players is greater in France than here? I doubt it.

I've played with Felix. He is a great guy but he is not going to run away with any tournament in Charlotte. Many of us here would win Pro tournaments in Alaska, but what does that mean. Try to win one in Raleigh. Are you assuming the skill level of players is greater in France than here? I doubt it.

The french are never better than us :p

Sylvain Gouge is the only player rated over 1000 in France (1016) but I am sure Felix will get over the thousand mark soon. He was maybe the best putter at last year's AM worlds.

either you're a "bagger" who is rated too high or you're one who gets beat by "baggers" and want them to move out of your division.

Not really. There are lots of people that win tournaments in divisions where they belong. It happens more often than not. Also, there are people that have the balls to move up before they are 1000 rated. I just don't have any respect for the guys that win advanced that are rated 980+ and the rest of the field in <960 rated.

I knew this year they would fill up. Looks like I get 2 weeks to hang out up here and NOT spend my money to be out of state. Doesn't matter that much, but I was pretty sure I would've had an EPIC time. Maybe I'll cruise down for the last few days and see if anyone needs a caddy as the weeks wears on em.

Last year in worlds Felix took 4 strokes in additional penalty for playing an OB/Drop Zone incorrectly. Didn't have to take the officials test because it is not in French. Felt really bad for him he looked so confused. The worst part was that his group knew about the mistake, and decided to let him take the score 1 meter from OB instead of the designated drop zone... So then he got additional strokes for practice throws, throwing from an incorrect lie, and turning in an incorrect score card when the mistake was brought up later. Felix not understanding the rules and his group carding him with the wrong score cost him a birth in the finals.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, but felt compelled to mention it.

Last year in worlds Felix took 4 strokes in additional penalty for playing an OB/Drop Zone incorrectly. Didn't have to take the officials test because it is not in French. Felt really bad for him he looked so confused. The worst part was that his group knew about the mistake, and decided to let him take the score 1 meter from OB instead of the designated drop zone...

great group of sportsmen there...

Last year in worlds Felix took 4 strokes in additional penalty for playing an OB/Drop Zone incorrectly. Didn't have to take the officials test because it is not in French. Felt really bad for him he looked so confused. The worst part was that his group knew about the mistake, and decided to let him take the score 1 meter from OB instead of the designated drop zone... So then he got additional strokes for practice throws, throwing from an incorrect lie, and turning in an incorrect score card when the mistake was brought up later.

doesn't sound to me like the incorrect scorecard penalty was appropriate. if he completed the hole from the wrong lie the penalty should've been 2 strokes for misplaying the course- no practice throws.

Not really. There are lots of people that win tournaments in divisions where they belong. It happens more often than not. Also, there are people that have the balls to move up before they are 1000 rated. I just don't have any respect for the guys that win advanced that are rated 980+ and the rest of the field in <960 rated.

I have a friend who has played less than 75 rounds of DG probably and just shot two 945 rounds to win rec, not like he knew where he would rank. Would of gotten 2nd in INT though. I can only imagine the cries at that tourney :popcorn:

spoken like a true competitor. not a pussy.