• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

It has a bottom frame and the sides are padded like a Flak(same designer). The padding helps with support.
The side pockets are the same as the FlakX(New bag about to release) but in a lower quality material.

It could not include side frames for several reasons.
1. Academy has strict regulations on how packaging and shipments come into the stores. An internal frame pushes the limit to 2 bags per box and increases shipping. As opposed to a compressed bag that can easily fit 10 bags in one box.
The bag still sits up nice unless it is not carrying discs.
2. Price, price, price.

The middle pocket is lined with a nice felt for phones and what not. It's a solid addition.

It has a bottom frame and the sides are padded like a Flak(same designer). The padding helps with support.
The side pockets are the same as the FlakX(New bag about to release) but in a lower quality material.

It could not include side frames for several reasons.
1. Academy has strict regulations on how packaging and shipments come into the stores. An internal frame pushes the limit to 2 bags per box and increases shipping. As opposed to a compressed bag that can easily fit 10 bags in one box.
The bag still sits up nice unless it is not carrying discs.
2. Price, price, price.

The middle pocket is lined with a nice felt for phones and what not. It's a solid addition.

I find this kind of honesty shocking in a bag thread.

Well played, Elevated. Well played.

I find this kind of honesty shocking in a bag thread.

Well played, Elevated. Well played.

It's not earth shattering information but the initial prejudice to the bag can easily be cleared up. I think everyone hears "backpack" and thinks $200+ tour bag(thanks grip :mad:).

At $30 it is what it is and all of that took several details to get it to a fine line for this saturated boring disc golf market.

So would it be possible to modify some kind of frame/support system?

Totally. However, not too sure you need to or want to. Once you check the bag out you will be surprised how well it stands up. The frugal golfer won't mind this. The person who is familiar with competitor backpacks will maybe upgrade just because it's still really cheap to do so.

You can get something like this to line the sides.
http://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-8...&qid=1412643597&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+panel

Just cut it to shape. You can make a slit inside the side of the seam and install just like any bag on the market. Just tape it up after and make sure your cuts don't leave sharp edges. Also, get the thinner style plastic as the bag is not made to carry max weight.
When you do the sides, go ahead and make one for the back panel.

Since it's a two piece separate fabric, the plastic will slip right in after you do some work. Don't worry about voided a warranty, you just spent $30 which is half a tank of gas.

No pre-orders, no shipping fiascoes, no drama about stuff coming apart, no coverups, no excuses. Academy rolls out a backpack so stupidly easy and so stupidly cheap, its not even funny and these are on shelves and we can count on them being on shelves. I love it.

So much of the inflated prices in the backpack market were driven by small companies without mass production ability. This bag definitely flips that business model. Another key component to the backpack market was scarcity. As was noted above, these will hopefully be readily available. Hopefully they will come out with new color schemes...I want to recommend to friends, but I don't want to get everyone's bag confused during rounds.

So much of the inflated prices in the backpack market were driven by small companies without mass production ability. This bag definitely flips that business model. Another key component to the backpack market was scarcity. As was noted above, these will hopefully be readily available. Hopefully they will come out with new color schemes...I want to recommend to friends, but I don't want to get everyone's bag confused during rounds.

Slap a few patches on there and add some zipper pulls, bingo, customized...

I just bought one earlier and although I haven't played a round with it, I can say that it's not as cheap-feeling as I thought it would. The only 3 negatives I can say about it so far is that when picked up by the strap you can tell that there isn't an internal frame and droops inward (17 discs inside). Also, maybe i'm not the smartest person but when I tried to put my small stool where the picture says it's supposed to go, there is a problem that arises. Either it will be too loose and your stool will flop back and forth or tight but will get in the way of the side pocket and you will have to take an extra few seconds to zip open to get your items. The third problem that is sorta nit-picking is the absense of an internal divider, unless fully packed your discs will fall and overlap on each other.

All being said, everything else on the bag is functional and I do love the soft material in the middle top pocket. I feel that I can trust my phone and wallet and not worry about them being damaged inside. This bag is pretty much a steal at $30 and can't wait to try it out on the course.

The more you make in one color, the cheaper the bag price is overall. The next run may feature new colors, but this order was so big... they should be stocked for awhile.

The more you make in one color, the cheaper the bag price is overall. The next run may feature new colors, but this order was so big... they should be stocked for awhile.

To paraphrase a popular quote:

"You can have any color as long as it's black." - Henry Ford

I got one, they had 6 in stock at the location I went to, if I don't end up using then I will give to my son and let him carry it around. I will though put a sharpie on that green color. I don't like that, once I build a frame for it, I might like it better. But for $32.49 exactly, you can't go wrong.

I saw them at my local academy. They were in the backpack aisle in my store.

It even has the padded mesh back similar to the upper park pads. The drink holders absolutely will not fit a 32 oz standard nalgene, but the side pockets could be used to hold them if needed.

It's certainly an impressive backpack for $30.

Last edited:
Also, maybe i'm not the smartest person but when I tried to put my small stool where the picture says it's supposed to go, there is a problem that arises. Either it will be too loose and your stool will flop back and forth...

Nobody likes a loose stool.

I have seen this bag in person.

The weak points I feel are the cinch strap buckles and the place where the back straps meet the bag near the shoulders. A little reinforcement with some patching and extra heavy duty stitching should help hold it for a while.

An overloaded bag will cause more wear obviously but I would expect it to hold up for a year.

Also, if you have an Acedemy around you, go in and ask them for one and they will get it shipped to the store for free so you dont have to pay shipping.

$36.84 shipped to California.

For that price it's worth checking out even if it only lasts a year. I buy my kid a new school backpack every year or two and they're a lot more than $36 bucks.

Latest posts