• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

damn they raised the price! its now $39!!

still a great value at $39 but still... was epic value at $30 instead.

To quote my review on 10-11, not that $10 is a big deal for this bag and may justify Academy adding some more colors and bigger drink holders on the next run:

... and I'm even more amazed that it's only $30...I seriously cannot believe it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a price increase before too long - capitalism just works that way

just thought I would give a quick review of this bag. after playing 5 rounds with the bag I have no complaints. I found the storage more than enough for disc and towels, pencils, minis, and whatnot. the water bottle holders could be better and a little bigger, like others noted a 32 oz. Nalgene is a very tight fit. I have been stuffing my putters in the lower mesh pocket, not crazy about that but it seems to work good. I really wanted to fit my 2 liter hydration bag in the top pocket, it doesn't fit. and than much weight up top In the bag would raise the center mass a lot. I am going to give a full video review after 50 rounds to cover the thing that matters, durability. I feel that this bag is a great deal no matter how you look at it. the lack of frame has not been a problem and it has yet to fall over. my friends with grip and ranger bags give me some crap calling it an equate brand grip or a little Asian girls backpack. the quickly hush when I ask them what they paid for their bags. way to go academy.

as far as the 30% increase in price, the bag is worth it. supply and demand inflation at its best.

Has anyone else noticed the pocket on the inside behind the disc compartment. My bag has one that would be plenty big for a hydration pack and would put the weight lower. I tried keeping my condor there and it fit, but was just to hard to access so now I tuck the rain flap into it to keep it out of the way.

20 rounds on mine & so far so good. I am using the previously mentioned cpvc frame put on here by Strive, good person to buy discs from by the way. Its seen some fairly rough stuff & quite a bit of hiking as well. Twice got caught in the rain....but neither time were there pina coladas,.....it would have been better with pina coladas

Update on my purchase. Finally got a round in yesterday with it and I love it. I was worried about the green straps being long and in my way but I finally just made the straps as big as they go and that was solved. It sits very comfortably on my back and doesn't feel heavy. I was able to just plop it down and it would stand right up. I didn't put the frame in that other people are doing and it seems to be doing fine. Like cheese dog, I put my putters in the mesh pocket in front. Easier to reach back and grab them out when needed without taking the bag off. I also love that I am able to putt with the bag on and it doesn't get in my way or throw my balance off. For reference, I am 6ft 1in, about 200 lbs, athletic build. Felt pocket was nice for wallet/keys. I use the small side mesh pocket for phone on one side, mini (MVP nano) on the other. Haven't tested any water bottles yet but I usually use one of these. I put an extra towel in the large top pocket, plenty of room for another if I need more.

Overall, price - 10/10. Quality 8/10 (will have to see how it does with time). Usability, 10/10.

I saw one of these in Academy the other day and to be perfectly honest, I didn't really like it. The material feels extremely cheap to me, and the bag rather flimsy. I would expect one of the straps to break its stitching within a year. For $40, it is a decent alternative to Grip and the like, but this looks more like a case of you get what you pay for. For my money, I'd chuck the extra $10 and shipping in and buy a Soldier bag from Dynamic Discs; still stores basically the same amount of discs and is probably a much higher quality bag.

Anyone want to trade me 6-7 of these bags for one of my A-series grips? :p

The bag doesn't look bad at all for the price. You get what you pay for anyway :) On top of all that, you guys put a bag out without tons of hype/fail. Not a stack of promises made that weren't even close to being handled properly. :clap:

This bag is worth $80 easy in a disc golf market like we have today.

I don't know how to feel about this. I'd say unless you really improve some areas of this bag (whatever may need improvement) and add some new colors/features, you may already have a great price point? Why raise the price anymore at this point - aside from just wanting more money?

if you thought it was worth 80 in the first place, why not just price it as so?

Last edited:
I don't know how to feel about this. I'd say unless you really improve some areas of this bag (whatever may need improvement) and add some new colors/features, you may already have a great price point? Why raise the price anymore at this point - aside from just wanting more money?

if you thought it was worth 80 in the first place, why not just price it as so?

In reference to the DG market...
If this bag was introduced as an $80 bag by, lets say "Voodoo or Hyzerbomb", it would sell just as well financially. It's still adequate to a $40 Innova bag with $30 straps. I think people miss the point of this bag, it's not in competition with Grip.

You want more color options? That would also raise prices. This bag was well thought out to every little detail and that includes the box size that are shipped to Academy.

The entire point is to hit the retail side like never before. It's supposed to compare to the $40 Innova bags that are already out and on shelves. It's one giant leap for the entire market. Only 20% of the hardcore disc golf world would even consider using Academy to buy plastic. That 80% left over is not as sold out to a particular brand and is new to the sport will eat this bag up. :thmbup:

Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite
Looking forward to a little afternoon delight
Rubbin' our sticks and stones together makes the sparks ingite
and the thought of rubbin' you is getting so exciting

Just my two cents really quickly. Saw this thread and was intrigued but didn't pull the trigger. Went and played a round today at Newport news and saw a guy with one. Talked to him real quick. He basically said he was quite happy thus far and two of his buddies in the group had already bought one. I'll be placing and order as well

If you think the $10 raise in price was bad the fleabayers are already trying to peddle them. You can get them on the bay for the bargain price of $69.99 BIN + $15 shipping. Always do a little research on a product before you buy.

Latest posts