• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] making the best best discs???

1luckyman

In your opinion, who do you think is making the best discs on the market today?

Every manufacturer makes great discs. Some are greater than others, in thier own unique way.

No one. The best discs are the ones you throw the best, regardless of who makes what.

Last edited:
Every company offers something unique.

Best "classic" molds- Innova
Neatest (whether it really works or not) tech- MVP
"Best" plastic- Lat/DD/Westside or Legacy
Best at catering to bigger arms- Discmania
Most unique grip and look- Vibram
Best baseline plastic- Gateway

The company that is really impressing me is Reptillian Disc Golf, I'm eagerly awaiting their next release.

But it's the Indian, not the arrow and everyone is looking for something slightly different out of a disc.

Fan boys are loyal and will always say their brand is better.

To be fair - if you didn't think it was the best for that slot in your bag, why would you throw it?

But you are right. We are all biased towards what is in our bag for a variety of reasons.

Realistically there are a lot of great discs out there and good reasons to throw any of the top brands. Personal preference on plastic is huge. Also - local availability and what the "cool" kids are throwing locally. What is given out as player packs, etc.

Oh...and good ole stubborn "i've thrown a buzzz/roc for years so it is best".

Every company offers something unique.

Best "classic" molds- Innova
Neatest (whether it really works or not) tech- MVP
"Best" plastic- Lat/DD/Westside or Legacy
Best at catering to bigger arms- Discmania
Most unique grip and look- Vibram
Best baseline plastic- Gateway

The company that is really impressing me is Reptillian Disc Golf, I'm eagerly awaiting their next release.

But it's the Indian, not the arrow and everyone is looking for something slightly different out of a disc.

Agreed. Id add discraft is number 2 on the "classic" molds and Prodigy is number 2 on catering to big arms

Oh...and good ole stubborn "i've thrown a buzzz/roc for years so it is best".

guilty as charged. I dont care how good a mid/fairway is, ill be throwing Rocs and Teebirds forever.

id at that trilogy has really won in terms of growing a big following over the last couple of years, much more so then the other "younger" companies

So many amazing choices today. I'm sure you could bag any brand and shoot great. It's the plastic Mecca

I used to be in the classic camp with a set of buzzzes and teebirds. I've since dropped the buzzes for latitudes glidey beautiful mid ranges. But honestly there are tons of great discs out there naming one company is so difficult. ..

I would say mvp just for the sheer consistency I find with them Ive thrown 2 motions, 2 inertias, 2 amps and 4 volts all bought at different times and they always fly so close that the only differences are in the consistency of my release. Ive had Wraiths that flew very stable with a straight to fade flight and others that had turn and a much lighter fade and many in between same with Nukes some are lasers and others have turn fresh from the box.

Yeah this is a question that varies depending on preferences.

Best durable premium plastic? Prodiscus
Best options for putters? Gateway
Best at listening to customer feedback? Discmania
Best company collaborate effort? Latitude 64, Westside, Dynamic Discs
Best consistency (relative to volume)? Discraft
Best single-company complete bag? Innova
Best fairway drivers? Innova
Most cutting edge technology? MVP/Axiom
Long list of companies I've rarely/never thrown? Westside, Dynamic Discs, MVP, Axiom, Legacy, Prodigy, DGA, Vibram, Ching, Lightning....

Good to have/explore the many options we have today. I got into the game when Innova was quickly making Lightening obsolete. And there was this third company known for Ultimate discs called Discraft. That was it.

Gateway and RDG are making the discs I'm most excited about.

DGA seems to be on a roll recently.

A lot of others are making solid discs, but not ones that make me all :eek:

Here's my personal take on the current state of DG manufacturing.

Best high speed drivers - Prodigy, Legacy, the Destroyer
Best control drivers - Discmania, Innova
Best fairway drivers - Innova
Best midrange - Discraft, Trilogy
Best putters - Gateway, MVP (all companies have some good offerings here and most are a take off the Avair anyway)
Best base plastic - Gateway hands down
Best premium plastic - Prodigy, Trilogy (Prodigys 400 is just as good as any CE)

There's also a handful of smaller companies that have fantastic discs - RDG, Hyzerbomb Mortar, Essential Discs Honey and I'm sure many others I can't think of right now.

I could pick any one company and exclusively bag just their discs and play fine but would I feel like I'm getting the best disc possibly in every class? No

Every company has great discs. What I've found is that every company tends to also have one particular type of disc that they have really excelled at; i.e. Gateway/RDG with putters, disc mania and DDs, or Westside with mids. But they all make great discs and it's really preference of feel. Overall though I'd have to say that the most across the board company if you decided to make your whole bag from one brand would have to be Innova.