• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maple Hill

Jimb

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I may have the opportunity to hit Maple Hill on 7-22-11 for 18 holes while traveling from WV to Maine. I don't yet know what time, other than afternoon/evening.

Would it be a bad idea to play this course solo? Even from the short tees? I might have my wife and daughter with me to spot.

I have the "Barry Schultz goes crazy" Vibram Open DVD and thought that it would be exceptionally cool to be able to check out the course.

Any suggestions or input? I'd appreciate any insight.

Maple hill is a tough course to play solo, some spots are very hard to find your disc, a spotter helps. Contact Solomon.Trenton or Rhiensel. Also bring a buttload of money because maple hill pro shop and Marshall Street 1 mile away will break you!

Maple hill is a tough course to play solo, some spots are very hard to find your disc, a spotter helps. Contact Solomon.Trenton or Rhiensel. Also bring a buttload of money because maple hill pro shop and Marshall Street 1 mile away will break you!

Thanks, already. I saw that they were guides but didn't want to hit them up with such vague plans. I figured (hoped) that if they saw the thread title that they might just chime in. :)

I have a strict list of discs on my "OK to Buy" list and I will not get anything else. (That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.) Plus, I'm planning on hitting the Woodland Valley courses in Maine and they have an excellent pro-shop, too. I think that I'm in trouble.

I had a list also, but I still spent $130. Maple is great, I played from the red tees to lower my stress level, it was still tough, but nothing like it would have been from gold.

Unfortunatly, I'm off on a little mini family trip to NH on 7/22 or else I'd love to play. I've only played Maple Hill once but would live to hit it up again.

Playing anwhere where there are a multitude of trees, tight fairways, and hills is tough to do by yourself. Especially on a course you've never played before. Being an afternoon/night, your best bet is to hang out for awhile and see if you can hook up with another group. Maple Hill has an active community that seems to be always welcoming.

You can also make a post on the New England Flying Disc organizations forum to get a guide. The site is www.nefa.com.

Heck, maybe Mr. Steve Dodge himself would be willing to meet up with a fellow forum member if he's in town.

If your plans get pushed to Saturday or Sunday for some reason let me know.

Ooooh I still have nightmares of that deep dark water and endless rows of identical evergreens. Just plan on losing discs and enjoy the course. Hit the shoppe after to replenish.

Unfortunatly, I'm off on a little mini family trip to NH on 7/22 or else I'd love to play. I've only played Maple Hill once but would live to hit it up again.

Playing anwhere where there are a multitude of trees, tight fairways, and hills is tough to do by yourself. Especially on a course you've never played before. Being an afternoon/night, your best bet is to hang out for awhile and see if you can hook up with another group. Maple Hill has an active community that seems to be always welcoming.

You can also make a post on the New England Flying Disc organizations forum to get a guide. The site is www.nefa.com.

Heck, maybe Mr. Steve Dodge himself would be willing to meet up with a fellow forum member if he's in town.

If your plans get pushed to Saturday or Sunday for some reason let me know.

Thanks for the info. Will do if the plans change. Enjoy your trip.

Ooooh I still have nightmares of that deep dark water and endless rows of identical evergreens. Just plan on losing discs and enjoy the course. Hit the shoppe after to replenish.

I really hate planning on losing discs. :( But I know what you mean. When I play the Woodshed and Whippin' Post, I have that same kind of "dread" feeling that you're talking about.

I just wanted to chime in and let you know that I play the course solo all the time. Of course knowing the layout helps, but I would not let being alone force you not to play such a gem.

You should check out Wickham Park in Manchester CT on the way. 500 yds from I-84. Right off the exit. It is a completely manicured/mowed 250 acre park with an amazing world class 18 hole with additional 5 or 6 lettered holes in the woods.

Nothing against maple hill, I love it. But wickham is more open "grip it and rip it" type course. Plus your family can picnic and hang out while you play. They have a pretty cool bird zoo and playground.

Its pretty hard to loose a disc at wickham. Just to let you know maple hill is like 20 minutes off I-84/Mass Pike/Route 20.

If u can, check out some in Maine. Beauty/Beast or Sabbatus is where its at. It all depends where your are going in ME. Either Coast or Inland/Mountains???

I dont think you will have a problem finding your discs at Maple Hill as long as watch your disc the whole way. Maple Hill is a ton of fun with a cool pro shop and a fantastic lost n found. You might lose some disc or maybe not depending on how smart you play. If you shot in the 60's on the llong layout you are doing great. Plus Marshall Street is right there on your way back.

Yesterday I posted an updated review of the course. We are keeping the grass mowed, have redesigned the Reds so they are family/beginner oriented (no shots over water at all!) I've played the Reds the last two mornings and can't imagine not playing before I come to work now, although my putting better improve or I am going to shoot myself on the castle.

New review: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=119&mode=rev

I'd play with a local if I were doing any of the more challenging layouts of Maple Hill, which I would highly recommend. I absolutely love the course but one of the biggest reasons I do is because there is a LOT of threat of losing discs to water. Many shots are risk/reward opportunities and they require a great deal of skill, it's not for the faint of heart. While there you will also want to hit up the Marshall Street pro shop, it's literally 30 seconds away (by foot). I wish I could get the day off to join you but a friday on such short notice doesn't work.

What parts of Maine are you hitting? I'm a Mainer myself and while I wouldn't primarily suggest Beauty/Beast or Sabattus as THE premiere destinations, they're definitely nice courses. The top courses I would suggest hitting in ME would be Woodland Valley, LaVallee Links, BAP Disc, Acker's Acres, CR Farms, the list goes on... there's a lot of good courses to choose from. If you're going anywhere around the Augusta area you'll be in DG heaven. PM me if you want a tour guide, if I'm free I'd be happy to hit the links with you.

I'd play with a local if I were doing any of the more challenging layouts of Maple Hill, which I would highly recommend. I absolutely love the course but one of the biggest reasons I do is because there is a LOT of threat of losing discs to water. Many shots are risk/reward opportunities and they require a great deal of skill, it's not for the faint of heart. While there you will also want to hit up the Marshall Street pro shop, it's literally 30 seconds away (by foot). I wish I could get the day off to join you but a friday on such short notice doesn't work.

What parts of Maine are you hitting? I'm a Mainer myself and while I wouldn't primarily suggest Beauty/Beast or Sabattus as THE premiere destinations, they're definitely nice courses. The top courses I would suggest hitting in ME would be Woodland Valley, LaVallee Links, BAP Disc, Acker's Acres, CR Farms, the list goes on... there's a lot of good courses to choose from. If you're going anywhere around the Augusta area you'll be in DG heaven. PM me if you want a tour guide, if I'm free I'd be happy to hit the links with you.

Sanford area, with limited time to play so I'll be playing the closest courses. I played both Woodland Valley courses and Boom Field last year and enjoyed both. I'm basically playing around all of the other activities so I'll be playing on the fly. Thanks!

I had a list also, but I still spent $130. Maple is great, I played from the red tees to lower my stress level, it was still tough, but nothing like it would have been from gold.

Didn't make it to Maple so the disc selection at the Woodland Courses in Limerick, ME "had to do." I got three out of four discs on my list... exactly what I wanted (weight, color and plastic). And I walked away from a 12g too heavy 4th disc on my list. So I did very well in getting 75% of the discs on my list... and walking away with money left in my pocket! :)

You should check out Wickham Park in Manchester CT on the way. 500 yds from I-84. Right off the exit. It is a completely manicured/mowed 250 acre park with an amazing world class 18 hole with additional 5 or 6 lettered holes in the woods.

Its pretty hard to loose a disc at wickham. Just to let you know maple hill is like 20 minutes off I-84/Mass Pike/Route 20.

Thanks for the suggestion! To conserve time I hit Wickham in lieu of Maple and was very pleased. I really enjoyed the course and would go back in a heart-beat. Although I did lose a disc on #1. I went over the row of shrubs, to the right of the opening in to the basket, and couldn't find it in the deep/thick/nasty stuff. So if anyone finds a perfectly broken in Red/Pink, Star Stingray with my name and number on it, I'd love to have it back. :)

Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread. If the family heads back up to visit the brother in law again next year, Maple will still be on my list, for sure!

I'd play with a local if I were doing any of the more challenging layouts of Maple Hill, which I would highly recommend. I absolutely love the course but one of the biggest reasons I do is because there is a LOT of threat of losing discs to water. Many shots are risk/reward opportunities and they require a great deal of skill, it's not for the faint of heart. While there you will also want to hit up the Marshall Street pro shop, it's literally 30 seconds away (by foot). I wish I could.

Played with Hoey from MSt back in May from the longs. He was a great asset to have. Played MSt Gold and Silver, longs at Maple Hill, a round at Wickham, and a rd at Warwick...longs to shorts :)

Latest posts