• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Matt's Bag...

himynameismatt

Eagle Member
Here it is...Enjoy...

Putters
2 x 172 S Wizards - Main Putters.

1 x 175 M Wizard - Stable to Understable Approach / Driving Putter. 250' and under.

1 x 175 HPP Wizard - Stable to Overstable Approach / Driving Putter. 250' and under.

1 x 175 ESP Zone - Sharp Hyzers, Flex Approaches, and trick shots.

Mids
1 x 175 Z Comet - Finesse Mid. 250'-350'

4 x 177+ Z Buzzz - Beat to new. Stable to understable. 250'-325'

1 x 177+ Z Hornet - Windy Buzzz shots.

Drivers
3 x 173+ Z Stalker - Beat to new. Understable to Stable. 325'-350'

1 x 171 P-PD - Beat. Understable but super versatile. Powers down to stable around 325' but flies understable out to 375'+

2 x 174 S-PD - New and New-ish. Stable and Overstable. 350'-400' *Go to Driver*

2 x 168/173 C-PD - New Overstable. Wind Disc. Lighter one is utility disc.

1 x 172 Pro Destroyer - Stable Max D' I top it out around 420' currently.

1 x 174 S Destroyer - More durable Destroyer for the woods.

1 x Champ Destroyer- Headwind and Overstable distance.

Currently Trying...
Cyclones v. Stalkers
PD2's v. Destroyers
C-PD's v. Predators

Nothing you haven't seen before I'm sure, but questions and comments are appreciated.

Good selections and the Stalker is the one that needs proper neighbors in the slower and faster slots so it is either great or severely overlapped.

*Update* C-PD's have officially beat out the Preds as my go-to overstable driver. They're every bit as stable as Preds but easier to throw and a lot less nose angle sensitive. Stalkers also survived against the Cyclone. Cyclone can power down better and is more versatile but couldn't beat the Stalker as a pure straight flyer. Lastly I maybe looking for a new distance disc. Something in between a destroyer and a wraith if you will...Does such a disc exist?

himynameismatt said:
Lastly I maybe looking for a new distance disc. Something in between a destroyer and a wraith if you will...Does such a disc exist?
For distance I used to throw Wraiths, then Destroyers, now I'm throwing a 171g P-Line DD2 and loving it. You might want to try that out. Although the Wraiths and Destroyers I threw were fairly similar stability wise, the Destroyer just went farther.

MDP said:
himynameismatt said:
Lastly I maybe looking for a new distance disc. Something in between a destroyer and a wraith if you will...Does such a disc exist?
For distance I used to throw Wraiths, then Destroyers, now I'm throwing a 171g P-Line DD2 and loving it. You might want to try that out. Although the Wraiths and Destroyers I threw were fairly similar stability wise, the Destroyer just went farther.

I love Pro Destroyers but brand new they start a little stable for my tastes and power level. Luckily they break in very quickly, but Pro plastic just doesn't hold up in the Pacific Northwest woods. Star Destroyers are more durable but even more stable for me so they are currently reserved for Hyzers and Headwinds.

Been intrigued with the DD for awhile now just ordered one from Marshall St. we'll see how it works when it gets here!

Plus I'm looking for any reason to carry more Discmania =)

DD and DD2 are different discs. DD in P glides less than Wraiths and is otherwise close to the Wraith. P DD2 once broken in is about the longest disc there is and only Nukes and from hearsay to some the lower power requirement Westside Discs King are the only ones that challenge it for distance. Ultralight Bosses are shorter than heavy DD2s. Something between a Wraith and a Destroyer? Is there anything when new not sure? I imagine that some DGA Hurricanes may be but mine flips and i don't get any flip from Wraiths and Destroyers. Hurricane hyzer flipped to flat is at least Destroyer long and has a lower power requirement and fades Wraith like and is less nose angle sensitive than Destro, maybe even less than Wraith.

What do you think of the Premium plastic dd2's? been reading the discmania thread like mad and they certainly have me intrigued.

himynameismatt said:

Not really between Destroyer and Wraith, but the only disc I've tossed over 400' mark is Lat64 Flow. The problem with Flow is (as many claim), that you never know what you get when you buy one. I've got three: One Opto Flow 175g and two GL FLows 173/174g.

The Opto Flow won't turn at all at my power level, short as hell, but might be good in headwinds - I hate this one.

The 174g GL Flow is pretty stable, thrown flat it will make a small turn and fades only in the very late of the flight. Not good, not bad. But I rate Wraith and Destroyer better.

And then...the 173g GL Flow (slightly beaten) is a totally different disc. It needs a hyzer, but if I hit the right angle it goes faaaar (for me!). No point to throw this in headwind, but otherwise a great disc. If I'd choose a max distance driver, this would be my choice (I promised me in Spring that I keep my game simple this year, no +10 speed drivers...next year maybe).

Also, a friend of mine who's throwing Valks and similar discs up to 375' bought a Westside King. Called me two days ago, just to tell me he was able to throw a bit over 400'. Don't know, never seen a King, but why not?

himynameismatt said:
What do you think of the Premium plastic dd2's? been reading the discmania thread like mad and they certainly have me intrigued.

Way higher power requirement than P and they wear slowly so they are short meathooks first. At least in the case of the ES DD2. I've broken in one ES and it is long like a P that is a little broken in. A Broken in P is silly long for a little over 400' thrower.

P-DD's v P-DD2's v Pro Destroyers for my max d slot. Will mix in some Premium plastic versions afterI settle on one.

My experience with the DD2 is right on par with JR's description. Enough turn to get some nice distance lines when released flat, but not flippy. Easier to throw than the Boss.

One of my favorite things to do is power it down; it's got enough glide that you can throw low lines without full power and get a sort of TeeBird-esque flight out of it.

Ok here's the lineup I'll be rocking at tourney later this month...Enjoy.

2 x 172 S Wizards - Main Putters
1 x 175 HPP Wiz - Driving Putter, holds all lines well out to 250.
1 x 175 ESP Zone - Overstable approaches.

1 x 177 Z Buzzz - My "Go-To" disc for most lines 260'-330'
1 x 175 ESP Buzzz - For powered down or slightly understable Buzzz lines.
1 x 177 Fuse - New addition to the bag. For when I need an anny or a line with a turn in it.

1 x 175 CTD - stable to understable lines in the 340'-370' range. One CTD has replaced two Stalkers in my bag.
1 x 175 SPD - My main driver whenever I need one 360'-400' lazer beam straight. Crazy versatile.
1 x 173 CPD - Overstable lines in the my driving range. Pulls double duty as my main wind disc.

1 x 171 Opto Flow - 420+ lazer beams and hyzers.
1 x 170 GL Flow - All out Max D, Anny bombs, and snappy hyzer flips that turn and fade.
1 x 175 PPD2 - overstable lines 400+ and huge flex shots. Max D disc when the wind is blowing.

Fine tuned and changed my lineup a little bit for the tourney. Going back to some more familiar molds in the driver categories as well as discing down quite a bit.

I'll be one of the bigger arms in Intermediate every hole will be a birdie opportunity and if I focus on accuracy and consistency I can snipe my way to a Top-5 finish.

Here we go...
2 x 172 S Wizards - Main Putters
1 x 175 HPP Wizard - Driving Putter, holds all lines out to 250' or so.
1 x 173 Proline Wizard - Slightly understable. Finesse Approaches, and Putter Flicks.
1 x 173 ESP Zone - Overstable Approaches and trick shots.

1 x 177 Z Buzzz - Workhorse of my bag. Holds all lines 260'-330'
1 x 175 ESP Buzzz - Finesse Buzzz. Slightly understable.
1 x 177 GL Fuse - Understable Buzzz lines.
1 x 175 Z Comet - Fills a unique role in my bag. I'll usually throw this when I shank a drive or hit a tree off the teepad and I'm too far for a Putter approach and can't afford the fade and skip of my Buzzz's.
1 x 173 ESP Predator - Putt this with my mids because that's what I use it as. My OS mid. Also my utility disc for thumbers, tommies, and flicks.

1 x 175 CTD - Stable to Understable, Lines that have a turn etc. 340'-370'
1 x 172 FR SPD - Stable to Slightly Overstable. My new Lazer Beam Straight PD.
1 x 173 CPD - Main Overstable Driver and Wind disc.

1 x 175 SPD - Pretty broken in. My main distance driver as of now. With a lot of power and hyzer it pops flat turns flips and fades back out to 420+
1 x 170 Star Destroyer - Overstable Distance.

Winter Time bag...Cycled seasoned molds for new versions. This will keep my seasoned molds in their sweet spots for when they go back in the bag this spring and create some seasoned backups for my bag. Grip and Predictability are key to this bag it's going to be a wet Oregon winter...

2 x 172 S Wizards - Main Putters I like lighter putters feel like they make longer putts easier because they don't drop as fast.
1 x 175 HPP Wiz - Still my main driving putter to 250' floppy HPP plastic flies like crap but grips great in poor weather.
1 x 174 ESP Zone - Overstable approaches

Nothing new added here, took the Proline Wizard out of the bag, it's my most understable wizard and doesn't grip or fly well in poor weather.

1 x 175 ESP Buzzz - An easier to throw, easier to grip Buzzz, less than the Max Wt. Z's I usually throw but great in the rain. 300'-330'. In the bag for some seasoning this winter.
1 x 177 GL Fuse - Understable Buzzz-type lines. Have a feeling it's going to be replaced by my ESP Buzzz or Buzzz SS after they get seasoned.

Comet is gone, it can't handle the wind and the Z Buzzz is just too hard to grip and throw in the rain, So def I'm carrying a lighter mid lineup than usual.

1 x 174 FR Z Stalker - Need something easy to throw and predictable in the 340'-350' range FR Stalkers work. Doesn't get a lot of throws though tbh.
1 x 173 ESP Predator - Utility disc, windfighter and most overstable lines out to 350' or so.
1 x 175 S-PD - Brand New and Overstable for straight predictable shots in the 360'-400' range
1 x 175 C-TD - Still pretty new. Go-To driver for the time being because of how easy it is to throw straight and far. Versatility is underrated as well. Hyzer flips, S-Curves, Turnovers, Anny's, Rollers. 350-400'

That's my control driver lineup threw a Stalker back in the bag because I'm not trying to push my Buzzz's as far in the winter but it still doesnt get a lot of work. Still love the Predator and the discmania line.

1 x 175 P-PD - Brand new. My Max D disc this winter I can throw P-PD's as far as any other disc one to two speeds faster. Great in the wind. Excellent grip in the rain. Only thrown for wide-open Max D shots so it should keep this sweet spot for awhile. 400'+ (and climbing hopefully!)
1 x 175 P-PD2 - Overstable distance. Doesn't see a lot of use but I'd like to beat this thing into Destroyer stability at some point and see if it bombs.

The P-PD is the only distance disc in my bag at the moment, the PD2 doesn't see a lot of work except for a couple "L" shaped fairways that can be tough to hit. Hopefully it beats into a faster version of my P-PD by this spring.

First Bag Update of 2012, Got a pretty solid bag built here I'd be confident playing this setup at probably any course in the country as it covers most stabilities and speeds across the spectrum.

Putters - 300' and In
2 x 172 S Wizards
2 x HPP Wizards - Heavy one fades out and drops fast, Lighter one is a lazer beam.
1 x 173 ESP Zone - Overstable approaches and drives.

Mids - 250'-350'
1 x 177 Z Buzzz - Workhorse
1 x 175 Z Buzzz SS - Understable compliment
1 x 175 Z Comet - Tweener disc for when I'm outside of putting range, or where a skip or blow-by will cost me.

Fairways - 350'-360'
2 x 173 and 175 Glo and Z Stalkers - One that fades, One that doesn't.
2 x Predators 169 Z and 173 ESP - One glides well, ones doesn't. Makes both very easy to range.

Drivers - 360'-420'
2 x P-PD's both 175 - Beating these up for understable compliments to my S-PD's,but because they are newish they fill the S-PD's role currently aka 360'-420' Lazer Beams.
1 x S-TD 173 - Was having trouble distinguishing where this fits in my bag because it overlaps with P-PD's and Beat S-PD's, However I've been throwing it on more open holes that need a straight shot, and a little but of turn won't hurt me. Reserve the broken in PD's for the tight straight shots. Also been bombing the S-TD on HUGE S-Curves,throw it high and hard and let it go to work.
1 x 169 S-DS - Wide Open, Max D 420'+

Two things...

1. What do you use for a moderately overstable to overstable midrange(Something between the buzzz and the zone)?
2. You still got those two pro d foci?

BLURR said:
Two things...

1. What do you use for a moderately overstable to overstable midrange(Something between the buzzz and the zone)?
2. You still got those two pro d foci?

1. I can bend my most stable Buzzz on most overstable lines in the same range. If I need a really overstable shot with a little less D yeah I'll def reach for the Zone. I have a 2yrs Old ESP Pred that's super floppy I throw for every overstable line in midrange "range' (300-350), I've had a lot more success throwing that ESP Pred consistently compared to say the Hornet.

2. And Yes I do! Just noticed my Inbox is full of PM's! So Sorry! The other discgolf forum I frequent has little Pop-up Windows when you get a new PM, I completely missed those!

Latest posts