• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeast 's quote, inspiring or cocky

Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration

Sci-fi geeks rock!

I did not find PMs statement cocky, and while you might call it inspirational, closer to the truth is factual. Like it or not. If you're gonna compare Paul to someone, compare him to pre-freaked out Tiger; a guy who's mental game was A, and who's physical game was A. That said, he has over stepped his factual basis IMO, just a tad.

McBeth's technique is the best I've seen. Every part of his motion is perfect, that is, when he is on it is. His biggest weakness is his mental game. It lapses in two ways. He usually comes into tournaments less focused than he is capable of being. What Paul does is cranks up his focus round to round until he is a monster that you can feel breathing down your neck, something that is tough to deal with for other players. It makes for more interesting watching, but it is a weakness. It should be noted that as soon as someone comes along with all his attributes, plus early focus, it will be interesting.

The second way that Paul's mental game lapses is that sometimes late in rounds, when he is down a stroke or two, he reaches to far. If he's chasing, and the guy in front of him refuses to fold, Paul pushes too hard. Then he makes mistakes that cost him. Instead of taking the shot he has an 80% chance of making, he takes the shot he has a 50% chance of making. A shot with more reward, but also with much greater risk. He's folded late in a couple of tournaments by doing this.

What Paul wrote is correct, he works harder, is more focused, and has it together than any one else out there, but he does have weaknesses that could be exploited by a savvy competitor.

I always laugh at responses on here by players that probably have sub 900 ratings and like to talk crap about the best player to ever play our game. If you want to over analyse a quote about fear and doing what must be done its probably because you have never faced it. Just because you haven't accomplished anything big in your life doesn't mean you should talk down about those that have. IMO. /rant

I always laugh at responses on here by players that probably have sub 900 ratings and like to talk crap about the best player to ever play our game. If you want to over analyse a quote about fear and doing what must be done its probably because you have never faced it. Just because you haven't accomplished anything big in your life doesn't mean you should talk down about those that have. IMO. /rant

Disc golf is one of the few sports where the average rec player makes more at their day job than the average touring pro makes playing dg.

Pm is the exception. With so many good players this quote is good insight how he keeps his edge.

Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration

Bene Geserit Litany against fear?

It's been forever since I read the Dune books.

It's disc golf he's so unfearful of. And Climo arguably still holds the title of best player ever--so far.

Meanwhile, since I'm a wildfire fighter, kayak 35' waterfalls, and have ridden a bicycle cross-country, it seems kinda silly in comparison. I can't think of anything I've feared in dg---except a 400' water carry.
If it wasn't for DGCR, I'd never know about this kind of self-aggrandizement.

Do you guys understand opportunity cost? Mcbeast could've applied his energies to other safer avenues. He has decided to dedicate the prime of his life to disc golf where very few can make a living. More so he is carving a nice life from his chosen path. His stature isn't huge, but his shoulders may be broad enough to put this entire sport on his back. Props. Now go eat your jelly and toast, baddies.

Meanwhile, since I'm a wildfire fighter, kayak 35' waterfalls, and have ridden a bicycle cross-country, it seems kinda silly in comparison. I can't think of anything I've feared in dg---except a 400' water carry.
If it wasn't for DGCR, I'd never know about this kind of self-aggrandizement.

7Xy58AAfr7-2.png

The only fear pertinent to disc golf might be the fear of losing discs. And that really does not apply if one is sponsored... What is Paul really afraid of here?

Begin speculation... Now.

Latest posts