• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeast 's quote, inspiring or cocky

Try trolling again! You missed Corin by a mile with your hipster remarks.

I am still trying to picture Corin in skinny pants!:eek:

Lol, s'all good, S. It's all in good fun.

To be fair, I do have a couple of hipster trappings, I think, like most of us do. For instance: I like drinking rye whiskey once in a while; I road a bicycle once last year; I follow F1; I like to vote; I read. He just ID'ed the wrong one with the skinny jeans thing.

Still haven't been able to figure out how my neutral stance on PM's post makes me a hipster, though, but that's ok...

Try trolling again! You missed Corin by a mile with your hipster remarks.

I am still trying to picture Corin in skinny pants!:eek:
Pshhh you can't troll me, nice try! Next you will try to say he doesn't even chase clouds.

Still haven't been able to figure out how my neutral stance on PM's post makes me a hipster, though, but that's ok...

This is my thought process, but keep in mind I was wrong once before.

Fanboys- Pro athletes are very cool and great!

Hipsters- Pro athletes are forgettable, I'm too cool!

Emos- Pro athletes make me mad! They aren't even cool!

The lines can be blurred though. For example I'm Fanboy with some hipster tendencies.

Fanboys- Pro athletes are very cool and great!

Hipsters- Pro athletes are forgettable, I'm too cool!

For example I'm Fanboy with some hipster tendencies.

Ahhh... Got it. Yeah, I'm a fanboy/hipster hybrid too, I guess. I'm addicted to pro sports and I love watching pro athletes work. But as I get older, I find myself caring about what any athletes have to say less and less.

I love McBeth. I love watching him play disc golf. And I'm definitely psyched to hear him get interviewed by disc golf journos. And he's been really accessible on his Twitter feed - he's always been game to answer my technical questions, which he doesn't have to do, of course. I also like following his IG account. I just didn't find the particular FB post in the OP to be particularly inspirational or cocky.

There's no secret to PM's success. I don't need to hear him or anyone else to explain it to me. It's readily apparent. Yes, he has the required physical abilities. But he's simply willing to work harder and sacrifice more than everyone else in the game. He deserves all the success he has achieved and will achieve. Respect.

Bull****. Man doesn't succeed on drive alone. Cocky.

Willing to do things I am not? Comes off as a prick. I know he's a nice guy, but get real and lay off the drama. This isn't a movie and he isn't a superhero.

Yeah.
I'm sure you're throwing hundreds of putts a day in the off season, playing ten rounds a day and willing to bet your future on a niche sport.

Please.
Tell us about all of these risks you take.

McBeth stated last year that he hates losing, even more than he likes winning.

So before this quote even came out, he clarified his success and his drive for this sport.

Yeah.
I'm sure you're throwing hundreds of putts a day in the off season, playing ten rounds a day and willing to bet your future on a niche sport.

Please.

THANK you.

PM doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he follows a strict nutrition regiment, he doesn't party, he doesn't have a family, he trains his body obsessively. Bottom line? He works more than anyone else in the game by a wide margin. Respect.

i dont mind a little cocky-ness if one backs it up like he does ,,, but i do mind arrogance and i took that quote as his way of saying this is what it takes to be the best , and he is ,,,,,,,,while i respect him i still want to beat him even more

This doesn't come off too cocky in my opinion. I think it was interesting that he addressed "feeling" those negative emotions, but making sure that he beats them down and eliminates them from his mindset. Maybe if he had come out and said he never fears failure or doubts himself then THAT would have come off as cocky.

on his instagram account @paul_mcbeth said "I succeed because im willing to do the things you are not. I will fight against the odds. i will sacrifice. im not shackled by fear, insecurity, or doubt. I feel those emotions--drink them in and then swallow them away to the blackness of hell. im motivated by accomplishment, not pride. pride consumes the weak--kills their heart from within. If i fall-- i will get up. if im beaten--i will return. i will never stop getting better. i will never give up--ever"

what do you think. inspiring or cocky

Inspiring.

Yeah.

Please.

I never claimed any of that. You could stand to read my statement again.

I'll repeat myself: the quote comes off as arrogant and stupid. He isn't in a movie and he isn't a ****ing superhero, so deal with it. Paul mcbeth is not willing to do anything I am not willing to do. I work just as hard in other ways, for other reasons.

The fact is that 99% of the population could put in the work PM has done and not make it like he has...at least not in that sport. To quote a passage that states he got there because he did something others were not willing to do is naive at best. He has more talent for the game than just about anybody. His work ethic finished the job. Without that talent, PM would be just another guy. There is no humility in that quote and I have no respect for those with no humility.

He can talk about getting up and never giving up over and over, that's fine, whatever, grand, inspiring, droll. It's that one particular stupid line I have such an issue with.

But no, let's call out the fish for not trying to fly when he swims perfectly well.

Last edited:
And this all is, of course, contextual. The quote addresses me, the reader. If you have seen the movie or read the book and recall it, and view it as a character speaking to another, fine. That's not my context though, therefore not how it connotes in my book.

We can all succeed just as much as, if not more than, Paul mcbeth. Just probably not at disc golf. And that's why the quote pissed me off.

Last edited:
:mad:

very mad

so anger

stay away

Doge-Meme-08.jpg

i dont mind a little cocky-ness if one backs it up like he does ,,, but i do mind arrogance and i took that quote as his way of saying this is what it takes to be the best , and he is ,,,,,,,,while i respect him i still want to beat him even more

Unless your name is wysocki, it sounds like maybe you are the arrogant one in this scenario. We just criticized the quote, you went as far as talking about beating him.

When I get to my hole assignment, and meet and greet the guys on my card, I shake their hands, and say, "hello, My name is Tom, they call me Mountain Man"

The conversation in my head continues on like this: "Black oceans cold and dark, I am the hungry shark, fast and merciless. My muscles will contract, your bones will crack, it's just a fact. Cuz I am here to win this fight!" (lyric from the song Lydia by Highly Suspect)

May sound cocky and arrogant as can be, but it's only used to inspire myself :)

ON a similar note, every time I line up a shot with my Truth, this lyric from that same song is sung in my head "I can't effing breathe, must less believe, the truth!"

When I get to my hole assignment, and meet and greet the guys on my card, I shake their hands, and say, "hello, My name is Tom, they call me Mountain Man"

The conversation in my head continues on like this: "Black oceans cold and dark, I am the hungry shark, fast and merciless. My muscles will contract, your bones will crack, it's just a fact. Cuz I am here to win this fight!" (lyric from the song Lydia by Highly Suspect)

May sound cocky and arrogant as can be, but it's only used to inspire myself :)

ON a similar note, every time I line up a shot with my Truth, this lyric from that same song is sung in my head "I can't effing breathe, must less believe, the truth!"

How many 15 footers do you miss a round, mountain man?

neither inspirational nor cocky, its plagiarism. :0

he googled a quote, copied it from the interwebz, then pasted it back to the interwebz.

The fact is that 99% of the population could put in the work PM has done and not make it like he has...at least not in that sport. To quote a passage that states he got there because he did something others were not willing to do is naive at best. He has more talent for the game than just about anybody. His work ethic finished the job. Without that talent, PM would be just another guy. There is no humility in that quote and I have no respect for those with no humility.

You're just telling yourself stories now based on one quote.
I've literally never heard one person that has met Paul say that he isn't humble.

And you keep going on about how people COULD put in the work and not make it, but that's a non-sequitur. Paul has put in a TON of work and HAS made it. Yes, he's talented. But so are Ricky and Uli and Simon and...but none of them have become 4 time champion.
Wanna know why?
Because Paul trains harder than all of those guys. Uli isn't willing to put in the weight training and the thousands of putts daily and the field work and...

You sound like the dudes that used to gripe about how Jordan was "cocky and not humble".
or now, how Steph Curry isn't classy.
The best people in any thing in life are generally seen as cocky or arrogant. And mostly by the people that don't want to put in the hustle.

How many 15 footers do you miss a round, mountain man?

LOl, that would be 0. About the only thing I am good at is putting. At age 55, I figured out that putting is the easiest area for me to practice and improve upon, physically. I love to putt :)

My point that I was trying to make was that one man's inspiration is another man's arrogance. So what?:confused:

I come from the school of one man need only worry about one man :thmbup: