• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

mentally difficult to throw fast discs

Jolt

* Ace Member *
Anyone else that have this problem. .

Every time i get att fast wide rim disc in my hand i will try to throw harder/faster and my form goes totally wrong.
When i throw a 10-speed or slower my form is quite good and smooth. . but with a driver in my hand i just keep trying to hard and my drives goes nowhere

it´s SOO mentally hard to throw those fast drivers smooth. . .I'm trying too hard

Yes, i do 100% understand that. . . .but then its fun to throw far. . so i keep trying, and failing

But i do understand that better than most. . .meet three 13y beginners today, all had just one disc..a max weigth Colossus!

But you're not throwing far by using higher speed discs. There might be a lesson in that somewhere.

Yup....you are throwing far....with speed ten discs and slower. Enjoy. There is no mental strategy I can put forth to help you stop doing what you chose to do. :confused:

But, yes...I think most of us are tempted to try to bomb a high speed driver on a nice open hole.

But you're not throwing far by using higher speed discs. There might be a lesson in that somewhere.

:D Should have said "try to throw further"

But it feels like speed 10 is what I can get to fly the intended path...faster disc I need to "force" into a Anhyzer to get any distance
Or throw very flippy or low weight discs

Going to try some lower weight 10-speeds and se how that goes

:D Should have said "try to throw further"

But it feels like speed 10 is what I can get to fly the intended path...faster disc I need to "force" into a Anhyzer to get any distance
Or throw very flippy or low weight discs

Going to try some lower weight 10-speeds and se how that goes

Correct. We all have limitations in arm speed and technique. Finding the right speed disc for those things is going to maximize distance for you.

Change one of the above and you could be ready to step up to a bigger disc. Higher speed discs do not mean more distance, until you are ready to have tools to throw them on their intended line.

But the point of the tread was more that I feel like my form falls apart when I try to throw as hard as I can.
I can throw a 13-speed far IF I slow down and throws more smooth....but with a 13-speed in my hands the smoothest goes away and the "I need to throw hard" thinking take over

I think most players have a mental trap of some sort that affects form and execution. It's throwing with an uphill approach for me. Instead of standing still and discing down, I try running faster, which ultimately leads to a beautiful nose-up hyzer.

Every time i get att fast wide rim disc in my hand i will try to throw harder/faster and my form goes totally wrong.
When i throw a 10-speed or slower my form is quite good and smooth. . but with a driver in my hand i just keep trying to hard and my drives goes nowhere

it´s SOO mentally hard to throw those fast drivers smooth. . .I'm trying too hard

I know this feeling, happens often when I want to go big with wide rim distance driver, like I instantly forget how to throw properly and just force it. I guess it's just old muscle memory, bad habits still trying to come back after years of practice.

Yes, most definitely. I now play with G* Thunderbirds (9) and Star Teebirds (7) as my drivers. Easy, smooth, relaxed. 450' drives? Not likely. 300'-350' on the line I expected? Yep and I'll take those all day long.

Just need to get the "try and throw this driver as far as you can" stuff out of my head ;)

But i have only been throwing max 10-speed and lower weight the last week, and that helps. .. so i`m going to stick to that for now

Just need to get the "try and throw this driver as far as you can" stuff out of my head ;)

But i have only been throwing max 10-speed and lower weight the last week, and that helps. .. so i`m going to stick to that for now

That really is a good start. For me, I sometimes tense up over shots that I think *need* to go far, even if they don't. Throwing a 9-speed Getaway or 8-speed Stag can help take the pressure off. Doing so means I'm not trying to throw a perfect shot with a max speed driver, instead I'm laying up to an easy spot 50'-100' out and playing for an easy par.

I also find that I'm most comfortable throwing understable stuff from a hyzer release, rather than forcing over overstable discs to get max distance (even though most of my longest during field work have been force overs). So I'd recommend that when you do throw faster discs, that you try to throw discs that shape the shot you are most comfortable with rather than what your eye tells you is the best fit for the hole. If that shot shape is not available, then disc down to a fairway. There's no sense in trying to throw a disc at a speed that makes you nervous and on a line that makes you nervous...I can guarantee that shot is not going to find the fairway!

That really is a good start. For me, I sometimes tense up over shots that I think *need* to go far, even if they don't. Throwing a 9-speed Getaway or 8-speed Stag can help take the pressure off. Doing so means I'm not trying to throw a perfect shot with a max speed driver, instead I'm laying up to an easy spot 50'-100' out and playing for an easy par.

I also find that I'm most comfortable throwing understable stuff from a hyzer release, rather than forcing over overstable discs to get max distance (even though most of my longest during field work have been force overs). So I'd recommend that when you do throw faster discs, that you try to throw discs that shape the shot you are most comfortable with rather than what your eye tells you is the best fit for the hole. If that shot shape is not available, then disc down to a fairway. There's no sense in trying to throw a disc at a speed that makes you nervous and on a line that makes you nervous...I can guarantee that shot is not going to find the fairway!

For some reason the Anhyzer drive is my worst shot. . .i´m quite good at shorter stand-still anhyzers
A forceover drive allways comes out of my hand "More flat" than I wanted to and goes WAY left.. . .a flat or slight hyzer is my drive of choice

Something in my form and run up makes the Anhyzer release angle hard to achieve. . i try to lean back and get the correct "force over" angle. . but my pull-through somehow makes the disc come out of my hand flat

For some reason the Anhyzer drive is my worst shot. . .i´m quite good at shorter stand-still anhyzers
A forceover drive allways comes out of my hand "More flat" than I wanted to and goes WAY left.. . .a flat or slight hyzer is my drive of choice

Something in my form and run up makes the Anhyzer release angle hard to achieve. . i try to lean back and get the correct "force over" angle. . but my pull-through somehow makes the disc come out of my hand flat

You sound a lot like me. And for me, I'm more consistent if I hyzerflip moderately US drivers (Trespass, Shryke, Wave, etc) than I am if I try to muscle up or force over a more stable traditional driver (Destroyer, Raider, Wraith, etc). There's still absolutely a role for a more stable driver in the bag, such as when I need a big skip or you're throwing into a headwind. But I personally drive my best if I default to throwing a flippy disc for max distance, and only use a stable driver for utility.

I had a Blizzard Destroyer for awhile that could occasionally give me an extra 20 feet, but when I early released it and lost it this summer, I vowed to stick with speed 10 and under until I have better form. Being in the fairway with my well loved PFN Star Beast or my array of different Sidewinders and Roadrunners is way better than being all over the place with that Destroyer but maybe a little farther sometimes. It's not like it was the sole difference between a better score or not very often, if at all.

Edit: I do have a Z-Force in my bag for some trick shots out of trouble if I want a skip or a flick roller to go to the right. I'm talking traditional air shots with that 10 and under M.O.

Latest posts