• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mesa, AZ new course The DiscO at Eastmark?

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Any word on The DiscO? I'm traveling with a couple of buddies in March to Mesa/Phoenix area. Buddy has 2nd place there. He said that's a brand new course and a lot of work has been put in. I see it in UDisc and figured someone would have uploaded a review here.

Any word on The DiscO? I'm traveling with a couple of buddies in March to Mesa/Phoenix area. Buddy has 2nd place there. He said that's a brand new course and a lot of work has been put in. I see it in UDisc and figured someone would have uploaded a review here.

We haven't played it yet, but talked to a guy who went to their opening. The course map shows some par 4s and 5s, but nearly all of the holes are under 300 feet. They guy we talked to said it was close to a pitch and putt style course. I do know that it's very narrow built on a couple of long green belts. I suspect it's probably similar to Maricopa Meadows. I'll try to remember to check back in once we've played it.

We haven't played it yet, but talked to a guy who went to their opening. The course map shows some par 4s and 5s, but nearly all of the holes are under 300 feet. They guy we talked to said it was close to a pitch and putt style course. I do know that it's very narrow built on a couple of long green belts. I suspect it's probably similar to Maricopa Meadows. I'll try to remember to check back in once we've played it.

If I'm only going to get 3 or 4 rounds in, that course doesn't sound worthwhile. Thank you.

The wife and I played several courses in the Phoenix area in November. We hit Vista and Fountain Hills just to say we played them but had more fun on a few of the smaller courses in the area. I'll have to look back through my Udisc to see if I can toss you some recommendations.

Buffalo Ridge sounds good but I did not get a chance to play it. Los Olivos is a fun little niner in a former olive orchard. We also enjoyed Show Low on the drive from Albuquerque.

Looks like Flagstaff has some good courses, if that fits your trip. Unfortunately weather kept us south when we passed through.

Good luck!

Los Olivos is a fun little niner in a former olive orchard.

We needed to get in a quick round one morning and played this one. Fairly fun for a nine hole, short course. We both enjoyed it. I can even see where it could be slightly challenging because of the trees. I cheated and took the trees out of play on most of the holes by just throwing thumbers over them. Lol.

Paseo Vista was another short course that my wife and I had a lot of fun playing. Definitely has an Arizona desert vibe. Everything is dirt, rocks, and pokey vegetation. While it is a short course, if you play the OB and mandos it makes it fun. Also, this was probably the least crowded course we played.

If you want a fun 9 hole course, the new Sun Ray course in Ahwatukee is great. It has a couple of tunnel shots and many of the baskets are well-guarded by trees but have multiple approach options. All of the holes are right around that 300-foot range, so definitely more than just a pitch and putt. Brand new concrete tees. I don't think the signs are in yet, but it's up on UDisc.

Buddy says he plays Red Mountain, Buffalo Ridge and Paseo Vista mostly. He's in the area several times per year. I, however get a one time, Friday/Saturday experience. I'm his guest (literally using a guest airline pass), so I won't quibble about courses. I hope no 9-holers or pitch-n-putt.

But I'd sure like to play Vista del Camino and Fountain. <— if I can only play one of those two, which should it be?

Buddy says he plays Red Mountain, Buffalo Ridge and Paseo Vista mostly. He's in the area several times per year. I, however get a one time, Friday/Saturday experience. I'm his guest (literally using a guest airline pass), so I won't quibble about courses. I hope no 9-holers or pitch-n-putt.

But I'd sure like to play Vista del Camino and Fountain. <— if I can only play one of those two, which should it be?

I'd say Fountain because it's iconic, but Vista is probably the better course in a vacuum.

Tough call. Vista in the normal layout isn't a tough course. When you watch the tournaments they are usually playing a longer layout with more OB. Fountain has longer holes but it seems like most of the longer holes kind of play downhill making them seem shorter. I felt like Vista from a righty backhand perspective felt like you were throwing almost identical shots from every tee.

I guess if I had to pick one of them to play I'd probably go with Fountain Hills. It's a little more scenic and the fountain is cool.

Fountain Park DGC is a lot of RHBH hyzers. Watch for the fountain going off at the top of the hour (if it's not too windy); it runs for 15 minutes and creates its own wind. Don't breathe or taste the spray - trust me; it leaves green spots on cars when the wind is enough to spread the spray, but not enough to shut it down.

Vista del Camino - aka The Shelly Sharpe Memorial DGC - there are a few holes that are RHFH. Some water carry....but in most cases, a bad shot isn't very bad. It's a fairly open course.

Paseo Vista is a fun course with two mandos where you have to throw through concrete cylinders (type used for large culverts/drainage areas). There's photos on this site that show the two mandos.
https://udisc.com/courses/paseo-vista-recreation-area-UpNi

Red Mountain has two courses...South is the easier of the two....bad shots aren't too bad. North is the longest/hardest....bad shots are definitely penalized. uDisc helps on North, but playing with someone who knows the course is preferred.

Played discO today. Fun course only used a driver on 4 holes. Tight ob on all holes. This is not a destination course by any means and should be played by out of towner's only if location is convenient.

Freedom DGC | Stripe Show GC, Mesa AZ.
Open on first and Last Mondays each month 1pm-6pm
Udisc for details.
https://udisc.com/courses/freedom-dgc-stripe-show-gc-jeEe

v3pT59O.png

Kind of late for this, but....one other difference between Vista del Camino (AKA Shelly Sharpe Memorial) and Fountain Park is the park-goers. Vista has less tourists, so the park-goers are more aware of disc golf. You have people crossing the fairway going to or from their community...but for the most part no one 'blocks' a fairway or sits by baskets. Fountain Park, on the other hand, has tourists that come to see the fountain. You will commonly see people walking the fairways and even sitting by baskets - sometimes having a picnic right by a basket. That's the main reason I have never played Fountain and prefer Vista.

Kind of late for this, but....one other difference between Vista del Camino (AKA Shelly Sharpe Memorial) and Fountain Park is the park-goers. Vista has less tourists, so the park-goers are more aware of disc golf. You have people crossing the fairway going to or from their community...but for the most part no one 'blocks' a fairway or sits by baskets. Fountain Park, on the other hand, has tourists that come to see the fountain. You will commonly see people walking the fairways and even sitting by baskets - sometimes having a picnic right by a basket. That's the main reason I have never played Fountain and prefer Vista.

Valid point, and I agree. There's more frequent and frustrating pedestrian traffic at Fountain Hills. We went a few times early in the morning during the summertime when it was much better. This time of year it's pretty crowded at all times. Still a great course and well worth playing.