• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan Disc Trip July 15-17

Which ones ?

Hickory Hills
Silver Mountain
Shore Acres
Burchfield
SMASH Park

All of them offer more challenge. More variety - left to rights, right to lefts, more wooded shots, longer shots, blind shots... Just a lot less of standing on the tee pad, seeing the basket straight in front of you.

Again, I have huge respect and gratitude to the Bill for his time, money, and hard work that he puts into Flip, and it is a unique and cool course (who doesn't like the stacked rock monuments all around) but aside from the great use of elevation, there's not a ton of challenge at Flip City. It's beautifully maintained, has good amenities, and is a blast to play, but it's too straight for a 5 star rating in my opinion.

Yeah a full report is due. I'll be heading to that area (hopefully) sometime this summer to play flip and and according to reviews and recommendations another one to two courses.

Honestly, same... Sad to say since I'm a semi-local boy. Flip is definitely a good challenge in some aspects and I have a TON of respect for the work Bill has done, but it's not nearly as scenic or enjoyable as many Michigan courses. Just a lot of hiking and mostly straight forward holes.

Still a sweet course, but I have 5 others off the top of my head in Michigan that I'd rather play without even giving it more than 10 seconds thought.

Honestly, agree. Not sure I would put 5 courses above Flip, but at least a couple I would go play ahead of Flip.

FWIW, of all the MI courses I've played, I'd still say Flip rates highest on my personal fun factor, so don't feel the need to back off my rating. Perhaps it's partiually due to how well suited it is to my "meh" skill level. There are certainly more challenging courses out there, so I can see how some say Flip's just not all that, particularly if they can run a bunch of the pins off the tee. I try to be objective, but ultimately, I think Flip's pretty much, more "fun to play" than any other course in the state. Plus there's a vibe to it I just don't get anywhere else that I can't describe, but I just enjoy playing it more.

No, it doesn't have:
• ski hill elevation like Hickory Hills/Whiskey Hills
• overlook Lake Michigan like Beauty/Beast/ Goliath
• have dual pins/tees like Burchfield
• supreme challenge like Leviathan

...but it has more than enough elevation, beauty, variety, and challenge. Opinions are bound to differ... vive la difference!

Last edited:
The trip was definitely a fun one! Thanks for all of the tips on course selection everyone! I have a Google MyMap set up, and I found it pretty helpful for navigation. If anyone is planning to make a trip to to the Holland, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, or Luddington area, let me know and I can make a copy of it and give you ownership.

For reference, we played doubles all weekend between 4 of us, so there were two doubles teams. We pretty much stuck to schedule other than Friday. We were hoping to get more than 3 courses in, but those 24-hole courses really wear you out. Kind of stinks that we could only play one course at Mason County Park. We also had a lot of driving back to Iowa on Sunday, so really only had time for 2 courses that day.

Personally, I probably liked either the Leviathan course or Fallasburg course the best. Leviathan seemed to provide good shot variety and the most difficulty of all of the courses we played, but the uneven, short, rubber teepads were kind of a turn-off. Fallasburg also had great shot variety and I really enjoyed the layout and wooded feel to the course. Flip City was definitely fun too. It was maintained excellently. Every time I thought I was going to land in an area where it was going to be hard to find my disc, I found a nice path that had been mowed. I suppose I was hoping for slightly more shot variety and length out of Flip City, but still had a great time. Since we didn't have time to play more than 1 Mason County course (and I was pretty worn out by that point), I feel like we didn't get to experience the full glory of the park there. I would definitely like to come back sometime, but who if/when I'll have time for that.

Below is roughly the timeline we followed and courses that we played. All of the courses seemed to be in good shape. I may give more details later on my thoughts about each of the individual courses. Feel free to ask questions.

Courses in order that we played them:
Flip City
Leviathan
Mason Count Park - Beast
Fallasburg
Robert Morris
Rogers-Lakewood Park
Highland Park, Joliet, IL

Friday, we played 3 courses:
8:00 AM - Arrive at Flip City
- We played all 24 holes.
11:00 - Leave Flip City

12:30 - Arrive at Leviathan
- We played the longest tees (black I think?) for the first 18 holes and the shortest tees (red I think?) for the last 6 due to time/hunger?
3:30 Leave Leviathan

4:00 - 5:00 - Jamesport Brewing Co in Luddington

5 - Arrive at Mason County Parks
- Mason County - Beast all 24 holes
8:15 - Leave Mason County Parks - Luddington, MI
Didn't have time for more courses at Mason County Park unfortunately.

Saturday 2 courses, 2 breweries
9:00 Fallasburg Park
- Wasn't busy at all during this time, but more people started showing up by the time we were leaving.
11:30 - Leave Fallasburg

12:15 - 2 Lunch at Founders Taproom
- Tours were not available that day due to staff having to go to an offsite event they were hosting or catering? The taproom was pretty good sized. I enjoyed it.

3:00 - 4:30 - Bell's Tour
- Free tour. The tour was pretty short (30 minutes or less) and you only visit two rooms, so there's not a lot of walking. We had a pretty good guide and got free goodie bags (coasters, stickers, and pins). It was a good time.

5:00 Robert Morris Park ($5 per car I think?)
- Played all 18 holes. The course was fairly busy. A group on every other hole.
7:30 Leave Robert Morris

Sunday - 2 courses
8:30 - Arrive Rogers-Lakewood Park
- Played 18 of the 24 holes due to a storm rolling into town. Luckily we saw it on the radar, or we would have been wet.
- There were a 4-5 groups that were starting around the same time, so were kind of bunched up at the beginning. Skipping some of the holes definitely made it faster. It probably would have been a 3.5 hour round otherwise.
10:15 - Leave Rogers-Lakewood Park - 1.5-2.0 hour drive to the Canyons (including lunch)
5 Guys Burgers & Fries in Lockport, Il
We wanted to play the The Canyons, Lockport, IL, but there was a tournament that day. We ended up playing Highland Park which is 15 minutes away instead.

12:15 - 3:00 Highland Park, Joliet, IL
- We played a mixture of tees, but probably mostly the middle tees.
- Some players out there, but didn't seem busy out there.

Would be interested in the map.

Also, what brewery tour/visit did you like the best? Always nice to find something that is unique to the area-as both bells and founders can be found easily in the lower midwest.

How far is levithan from flip and mason county parks? My time will be limited so I think I will only be able to play four courses. So far it looks like flip, mason county parks, hickory hills and ?

It looks like the weather was a good ten degrees cooler than the lower midwest. Wish I was their right now.

Would be interested in the map.

PM me your gmail address and I'll make a copy, and give you ownership so you can edit whatever you want.

Also, what brewery tour/visit did you like the best? Always nice to find something that is unique to the area-as both bells and founders can be found easily in the lower midwest.

We only went on the Bell's tour. It was okay. The tour was pretty minimal since you really only get to see two smaller rooms. I'm sure you can find better tours, but the taproom was still decent sized. We couldn't get on Founders tour that day, so I can't comment on that. I don't have any more advice on other brewery tours in the area.

How far is levithan from flip and mason county parks? My time will be limited so I think I will only be able to play four courses. So far it looks like flip, mason county parks, hickory hills and ?

Leviathan is ~40 minutes from Flip City. Mason county parks is ~35 minutes from Flip City. If you're looking to get in four 24 hole courses in a day, then I would recommend staying in Luddington due to time. The Mason County Park and Leviathan are pretty close to each other (10 minutes apart).

It looks like the weather was a good ten degrees cooler than the lower midwest. Wish I was their right now.

This is the truth. It stayed in the 70s pretty much all weekend for us.

Personally, I probably liked either the Leviathan course or Fallasburg course the best.

Fallasburg is my home course. Love it! And Founders is a bi-weekly thing with my little group.

Sounds like a great trip, I'm glad you enjoyed our little slice of paradise.

Cheers.

Random thought-isn't their some kind of general store that has great selection of beer and disc golf stuff as well up there.

Also, I hear Mason county parks has a good campground. Preferably the one by the beauty, Goliath, beast courses?

Are their any cheap motels? As after a day or two on the dirt I usually need a motel to actually lay on a bed kind of thing so I actually sleep.

Looks like I might be heading north this coming weekend!

Day 1.
I'll be throwing together my trip real quick for this coming weekend. My rough plan is to drive from southern ohio straight to flip, golf that night and get a motel room.

Day 2

Drive from flip area (maybe get a morning round at flip if I come in late the night before). Head to Mason County to golf at the one of the three (beauty, beast, g.) during lunch. Find a cheap motel room and hit up leviathan during the evening. Head to a brewery after leviathan and go back to my reserved motel.

Day 3

Get up. Play one of the three again (mason county, levi or flip) in the morning. Hit the road and head south towards Ohio. Hit up bells, or some other brewery on the way home fill up my growler. Get back on the road get back home to enjoy my growler that evening while replaying my short and sweet golf vacation.

Last edited:
Random thought-isn't their some kind of general store that has great selection of beer and disc golf stuff as well up there.

You might be thinking of Pere Marquette Expeditions. We stopped in and they had what you described, a solid selection of beer/brewing equipment, disc golf items (apparel, baskets, discs from multiple manufacturers), and other outdoor equipment.

Also, I hear Mason county parks has a good campground. Preferably the one by the beauty, Goliath, beast courses?

Are their any cheap motels? As after a day or two on the dirt I usually need a motel to actually lay on a bed kind of thing so I actually sleep.

We didn't stay the night in Ludington, so I cannot speak to a place to stay for the night.

Mason County camp ground is lterally across the street just north of Beauty/Beast/Goliath

Last edited:
Anyone know of some reasonably affordable lodging near ludington? I have decided that my old back has enough of camping.

Also, it would nice to be near some bars for some bar hopping after golfing all day as well. And it appears between Mason county parks and flip that Ludington would be a good location for base camp for a day or two.

Thanks for any input.

Ludington has plenty of hotel choices, I've stayed at the Amer Best Value Inn (formerly Days Inn?) on a DG road trip twice, it was cheap and simply ok for one night. Just don't expect a lot. Plenty of food choices nearby.

There's the campground right across from Ma Co....I remember that being (albeit cramped) reasonably priced.

Edit: Sorry didn't see the part about no camping....carry on! :D

Dam, I started calling about for rooms in the ludington area... First their is some biker thing going on so most places are booked. The ones that have like one or two rooms available are like asking 200 plus dollars a night!

Dam, I started calling about for rooms in the ludington area... First their is some biker thing going on so most places are booked. The ones that have like one or two rooms available are like asking 200 plus dollars a night!

Manistee Hotel (about 30 minutes north) or Muskegon (about 45 minutes south) both have reasonable rates for some open rooms still. Or, as was stated, plenty of campgrounds.

Latest posts