• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Add this one then too.

http://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/The_U_P_Bible_Camp_DGC

Actually supposed to be private and many people who play were never invited and the owners also wish they had never found out.

I added the other course before we talked about it.
I have asked timg for further guidance on whether it should stay in the listings or not.
As a rule, I don't add private courses to the listings but this one looked pretty publicly accessible.
~J

Albert Township is currently developing an 18 hole course at the township park in Lewiston MI. I did a site evaluation there in April and last I heard they are in construction and plan to open in August.

Albert Township is currently developing an 18 hole course at the township park in Lewiston MI. I did a site evaluation there in April and last I heard they are in construction and plan to open in August.

jesus, that's more remote than most of the up

I wondered what that horse did when he's not hanging out with Hannah.

Thanks for the note, Scott.

After some pestering, there has been a bit of secondary mowing along some fairway edges at Hudson Mills. Not much, but a little.

Joe

Norway Mountain in da UP is in great shape for a 2 month old course. About 7500 feet :) Currently the holes play on the slopes, with only 3 uphillers. They pick you up after the first 9, and bring you back up top for the back, then they come and pick you up again! Hopefully going forward some pin and tee positions will get tucked into treelines. For now, it's a great round of playing wind and pretty big elevation. Fairways are mowed wide, fyi. Super Fun course:)

Couldn't find a thread for the course but does anybody know the current conditions of Belle Island? I am traveling from Indy to Windsor Canada and wanted to check it out on Sunday.

Croswell has 9 baskets in with a temporary layout and natural tees. Haven't got over there yet to check it out but the FB pics look promising. Not sure when it will be finished and open to the public yet. I'll get a hold of the guys and see when they want her added to the directory.

I wondered what that horse did when he's not hanging out with Hannah.

Thanks for the note, Scott.

After some pestering, there has been a bit of secondary mowing along some fairway edges at Hudson Mills. Not much, but a little.

Joe

What is wrong with tall grass?

Is Belle Isle playable?

Sadly, Belle Isle is closed. Hopefully only temporarily. They had a water main break on the course, combined with what is a very wet area to start with. They guys putting in all the time on the course were not able to mitigate the water issues, rendering this course unplayable. It is a State Park, be advised to not try to check it out, anyways. It is patrolled and trespassing enforced.

I might suggest a side trip to Bonnie Brook. A fantastic, private course not too far off I-96. It is in great shape, and a wonderful course. Also located on an old ball course. Honestly the only other Detroit course worth the play.

Sadly, Belle Isle is closed. Hopefully only temporarily. They had a water main break on the course, combined with what is a very wet area to start with. They guys putting in all the time on the course were not able to mitigate the water issues, rendering this course unplayable. It is a State Park, be advised to not try to check it out, anyways. It is patrolled and trespassing enforced.

I might suggest a side trip to Bonnie Brook. A fantastic, private course not too far off I-96. It is in great shape, and a wonderful course. Also located on an old ball course. Honestly the only other Detroit course worth the play.

i'll second bonnie brook

Belle Isle DGC is closed until further notice. As far as I know, the baskets haven't been pulled, but maintenance is an ongoing issue. Mowing and such isn't that big a deal on a lot of courses, but trust me, Belle Isle isn't like a lot of courses... don't mow for a while here and forget about playing, you'll never find your discs.

The State of MI signed a 30 yr lease with the City of Detroit, that began on Feb. 10, 2014. Until we can convice the state to maintain the course on a regular basis (not really sure it's feasible to for a club or group of individuals to attempt that here), I don't see things getting any better.

On the pluys side, it's quite feasible/enforeceable to make that course pay to play, so that the cost of ongoing maintenance is partially (if not totally) offset.

Belle Isle DGC is closed until further notice. As far as I know, the baskets haven't been pulled, but maintenance is an ongoing issue. Mowing and such isn't that big a deal on a lot of courses, but trust me, Belle Isle isn't like a lot of courses... don't mow for a while here and forget about playing, you'll never find your discs.

The State of MI signed a 30 yr lease with the City of Detroit, that began on Feb. 10, 2014. Until we can convice the state to maintain the course on a regular basis (not really sure it's feasible to for a club or group of individuals to attempt that here), I don't see things getting any better.

On the pluys side, it's quite feasible/enforeceable to make that course pay to play, so that the cost of ongoing maintenance is partially (if not totally) offset.

Yeah, I think Bogey is right on the mark here. The fellas did a terrific job in trying to stay on top of this course, but I think it was nearly an impossible feat for any small group of individuals. The State Park system has shown some faith in installing a few course around the state, I too hope they decide to step up. Belle Isle has some of the greatest potential around. The amenities of a collection shack, public restrooms on the course, an out building for equipment, a sweet bridge, fantastic views and a location on an iconic public space with State Park amenities around. I cannot express enough thanks to the guys who have been slaving away to make this park possible in the first place.

I'll ditto ru4por's Bonnie Brook recommendation - it's an interesting course that's fun to play, with a few pretty unique holes. I've yet to write my review, but its definitely an excellent course.

Just be forewarned:
1) course lies in a flood plain, so it's not at its best for a day or two after a heavy rain
2) bring a couple of drivers you won't cry about losing, inked with your #. There's a significant amount of water in play and some areas where the rough is really tough to search in. That said, the owners are great about fishing discs out of the stream, but they're pulling out so many that calling everyone back can get a bit ridiculous... they have boxes of recovered discs.

FYI: There's a new course called The Lyon's Den that recently opened up, pretty much just across the highway from Kensington Black Locust. Plays long and open with significant elevation. Almost like they snuck it in. No one I know of was even aware they were thinking about putting a course here let alone building one, and all of a sudden... boom! there it is.

Bring water and sunscreen... not much in the way of shade.