• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Bastard beat me to it! ;) Here I was going to wait until I had some more info. Curse you, Jeff! :D

I am guessing you probably saw the post below, but have you heard or know anything about Kimball Pines rebuild? It is out toward your way.

I haven't heard anything since the beginning of last year when they said they were going to start rebuilding in the spring. Nothing at all in the last ~16 months. I'll check with some of the local promoters/TDs to see if anyone else has heard updates.

Honestly, the Battle Creek (The Crick) and Kazoo area have so much to offer that - while Kimball would be a great (re)addition - might have trouble with fundraising because of the diversity and course per capita of the area.

I haven't heard anything since the beginning of last year when they said they were going to start rebuilding in the spring. Nothing at all in the last ~16 months. I'll check with some of the local promoters/TDs to see if anyone else has heard updates.

Honestly, the Battle Creek (The Crick) and Kazoo area have so much to offer that - while Kimball would be a great (re)addition - might have trouble with fundraising because of the diversity and course per capita of the area.

Yup, for sure. It just kind of fell off the radar. It is a neat piece of property, but you are right, the area would not really suffer for the loss, if it falls through. Thanks.

Then again, Grand Rapids is the most dense disc golf course population in the state. There are 37 courses within 25 miles of my office, about half of those being solid, respectable courses. Novi is the only area with a comparable amount of courses within 25 miles.

We have one GR course that just did two fundraisers for new tee pads, and another course that is selected for 2017 World Masters and is doing very well with fundraisers for baskets and tee pads. (I actually thing the tourney two weeks ago completed the fundraising for 18 baskets and installed concrete)

Even with this many courses in the area, fundraising for specific courses is not a difficult thing at all. Maybe Kimball has hope! :D

Last edited:
Then again, Grand Rapids is the most dense disc golf course population in the state. There are 37 courses within 25 miles of my office, about half of those being solid, respectable courses. Novi is the only area with a comparable amount of courses within 25 miles.

We have one GR course that just did two fundraisers for new tee pads, and another course that is selected for 2017 World Masters and is doing very well with fundraisers for baskets and tee pads. (I actually thing the tourney two weeks ago completed the fundraising for 18 baskets and installed concrete)

Even with this many courses in the area, fundraising for specific courses is not a difficult thing at all. Maybe Kimball has hope! :D

which course wants new tees?
I know Johnson was looking to put baskets in

which course wants new tees?
I know Johnson was looking to put baskets in

They just actually added all new concrete shorts to Fallasburg about a month ago, and Old Farm just redid all tee pads a few weeks ago as well from fundraisers. Still a P&A course, but Old Farm is definitely a little nicer with the concrete.

And yes, Johnson is the rebuild they just completed raising money for.

honestly though. Johnson is probably one of the better pole courses around...

I just got back from Ionia SRA.. at least 24 holes, NOT STROLLER FRIENDLY. Like Bertha Brock Jr.
pictures and review to come.

While I'm here, my good buddy who owns Wild Haven up in Manton (just north of Cadillac) has 18 new baskets in the ground for a second course, a total of two 18s now. He's still in the process of clearing, and many of the tees are just small marker flags at this point. The new 18 is still rough in places, but it's going to be spectacular. It's a good 8 or 9 strokes more difficult than his original 18 for me.

While I'm here, my good buddy who owns Wild Haven up in Manton (just north of Cadillac) has 18 new baskets in the ground for a second course, a total of two 18s now. He's still in the process of clearing, and many of the tees are just small marker flags at this point. The new 18 is still rough in places, but it's going to be spectacular. It's a good 8 or 9 strokes more difficult than his original 18 for me.

Mike has a terrific piece of land up there. The first course was great, I can't wait to get back and check out the second 18. Speaking of courses that are not real cart friendly, lol.

pics and review posted on ionia. already have a thumb down... sweet. :\

Not sure why anyone would have an issue with your thoughts on that course. Just proof that people are stupid I guess. Balanced out that thumbs down for you.

I've never understood that myself. Put all that time writing up a detailed, honest and hopefully helpful review and someone thumbs it down. Oh well...I usually just laugh it off. I have no problem stating a course is crap and what needs to happen to make it better and I guess some folks don't like that.

Mountain Man's Playground in Ironwood officially opened today. Reaaallly tough course with lots of multishot holes, quite wooded. There is also a bottom 18 (possibly more) that isnt finished yet. Still rough on the edges, but a blast!

Not sure when the course will be listed on this site, that is up to the owner.

Message me or upmountainman about setting up playing times! You wont regret it!

added the second wild haven course and sent timg some messages to clean up the names to be yetisburg and little bigfoot...

In South Haven

I am in South Haven with the wife's family on vacation. I get out to play one course every year, any suggestions for this year? Played Flip City two years ago and Shore Acres last year.

Is the Paw Paw course really bushy right now as mentioned in the reviews?

I need somewhere to self navigate and provide a good challenge, hopefully within an hour.

Thanks for any input!

I am in South Haven with the wife's family on vacation. I get out to play one course every year, any suggestions for this year? Played Flip City two years ago and Shore Acres last year.

Is the Paw Paw course really bushy right now as mentioned in the reviews?

I need somewhere to self navigate and provide a good challenge, hopefully within an hour.

Thanks for any input!

Personally, within an hour I think Shore Acres is going to be your best bet - however do not go there on Tuesday night because they have the largest league in Michigan on those nights. For something different your next best bet is Oshtemo Township which is roughly 40 miles west on M-43. Unless something has changed, that place is rather difficult to navigate IMHO for a visitor and is quite difficult. If you can keep trucking east there is Robert Morris and Coldbrook but those will undoubtedly be over an hour to get to from South Haven.

Heading south on M-140 to Watervliet there's Flaherty Park which is a relatively short and VERY technical 9 holer with 2 sets of tees. Bring bug spray and be prepared for poison ivy. I cannot emphasize that enough. We have league there on Thursday nights at 6pm and you are more than welcome to join. If you want to keep heading south skip the likes of Andrews U and Lake Township. Neither are very memorable. Keep going to South Bend/Mishawaka area for either Rum Village or George Wilson but again, those will be over an hour. In Niles there's a cute little 18 holer called Madeline Bertrand that's a neat part of DG history as being designed by Steady Ed himself. It's a very quick and easy 18 to be sure but a ton of fun and I think within an hour of SH. They charge for parking and DG but it's worth it IMHO to play.

As far as the Paw Paw course is concerned I'll try to find out how overgrown it is. However, I am not particularly fond of courses like that so I may not be the most unbiased person to ask lol.

I live in St. Joseph so not far from you. If you have any other questions post here or feel free to PM. Hope that helps!

Latest posts