• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

If he's played flip, he's already seen b3nder's name 5,837 times.

Hmmmm....been a few years since I have gotten to Flip. What is up with the nonsense, though? Flip was a beautiful place, I am not sure my experience would be substantially improved by most grafitti. I wonder if his driving experience would be enhanced with my tag on his car? :wall:

^Bill actually wants people to write on stuff I think.

^Bill actually wants people to write on stuff I think.
Because it's just a matter of time before everything you see posted on the interwebz is taken out of context or twisted in some way, I'd like to elaborate on this. I'm not Bill, nor am I his paid spokesperson, but....

I'm pretty sure the only "stuff" he wants signatures on are the shack by 2A & 5A and possibly the gazebo. I don't think he wants people defacing the benches, tables, or anything else. I have to say, all the sigs on the shack only add to the charm. :cool:

The Gazebo looks nice as is and doubt he really wasn't to see that covered in sharpie (just a matter of time if people think it's fair game). Plus, if it gets out of hand, some DB's bound to leave their mark in the form of vulgarity just so their mark stands out from the crowd - and that doesn't add to Flip's charm.

So Apdryva, in the spirit of "leave it as nice or nicer than when you arrived," next time you whip out your sharpie, use it for something that improves appearances... draw a new face on B3nder . :p

Fairways are being cleared at Ionia State Rec, baskets and teepads have been purchased. Plan is to have the course open in April 2014.

nothing else new around here. I compared the discgolfscene courses with the dgcr list and added three or four courses yesterday...

harbor beach
saline
seitz middle school
arbors of traverse apartments

seitz middle school is already in the directory. listed as riverview grasslands

Finishing work and installing baskets at Silver Creek Recreation Area DGC - Chocolay Township, Harvey, MI in early November 2013.

This is a completely redesigned and new 18 hole course from the old 9 hole course that previously occupied the property.

{UPDATE 10/4/13}

-----2011 Courses-----
--The Edge DGC-- Scottville {24 Holes}
--Big Bend-- White Cloud {18 Holes}
--Burchfield Park-Devil's Den-- Holt {18 Holes}
--Carly's Playground-- Traverse City {18 Holes} [Mt. Holiday Redesign]
--Diggins Hill-- Cadillac {18 Holes}
--Hanson Hills (Short Course)-- Grayling {18 Holes}
--Marion Twp Park-- Howell {18 Holes}
--Ogemaw Hills-- West Branch {18 Holes}
--Superior Pines-- Grand Marais {18 Holes}
--Taymouth Park-- Burt {18 Holes}
--Turbine Pines-- Mackinaw City {18 Holes}
--Heritage Park-- Grandville {9 Holes}
--Lake Linden-Hubbell DGC-- Lake Linden {9 Holes}
--Lakewood High School-- Lake Odessa {9 Holes}
--MCTI DGC-- Plainwell {9 Holes}
--Rosewood Park DGC-- Jenison {9 Holes}
--Showboat Park DGC-- Chesaning {9 Holes}

-----2012 Courses-----
--Labyrinth-- Scottville {24 Holes}
--Belle Isle DGC-- Detroit {18 Holes}
--Bertha Brock County Park-- Ionia {18 Holes}
--Burchfield Park-Rivers Edge-- Holt {18 Holes}
--Campus View DGC-- Allendale {18 Holes}
--Duke Creek-- Cedar Springs {18 Holes}
--Earl Brewer-North-- Grand Rapids {18 Holes} [Redesign]
--Earl Brewer-South-- Grand Rapids {18 Holes} [Redesign]
--East China Township Park-- Marine City {18 Holes}
--Henderson Lake Nature Center-- Montague {18 Holes}
--Sunnybrook-- Sterling Heights {18 Holes}
--Herman Park-- Suttons Bay {18 Holes}
--Vicksburg Rec. Area-- Vicksburg {18 Holes}
--Wickes Woods-- Saginaw {18 Holes}
--Beverly Park-- Beverly Hills {9 Holes}
--Caro Fairgrounds DGC-- Caro {9 Holes}
--Cass City Park-- Cass City {9 Holes}
--Chilson Woods-- Howell {9 Holes}
--Dexter Lake Church-- Battle Creek {9 Holes}
--Flaherty Park-- Watervliet {9 Holes}
--Freeport Park-- Freeport {9 Holes}
--Ira Township Park-- Fair Haven {9 Holes}
--NorthRidge Church-- Plymouth {9 Holes}
--Shelby Road Baptist Church DGC-- Shelby {9 Holes}
--Silver Creek - Chocolay Park-- Harvey {9 Holes} [Redesign]
--Zeeland Christian School-- Zeeland {9 Holes}

-----2013 Courses-----
--Pioneer Trails-- Gladstone {27 holes}
--Old Airport DGC-- Au Gres {20 Holes}
--Mt. McSauba DGC-- Charlevoix {19 Holes}
--Leila Arboretum-- Battle Creek {18 Holes}
--Deerfield Park-Wildwood-- Mt. Pleasant {18 Holes}
--LakeShore Disc Golf Complex-- Spring Lake {18 Holes}
--Macatawa Greenspace-- Holland {18 Holes}
--Powder Mill DGC-- Marquette {18 Holes}
--Richland Park-- Hemlock {18 Holes}
--St. Francis Retreat Center-- Dewitt {18 Holes}
--The Gulch-- Hamburg {18 Holes}
--Wild Haven-North-- Manton {18 Holes}
--Snowbowl DGC-- Fife Lake {12 Holes}
--John D Besse Park-- Escanaba {9 Holes}
--Ludington Links-- Escanaba {9 Holes}
--Nature Park DGC-- Grayling {9 Holes}
--Smash Park-- Belding {9 Holes}
--The Memory-- Atlanta {9 Holes}
--Treetops DGC-- Gaylord {9 Holes}

-----PENDING COURSES-------
--Al Quaal-Teal Lake DGC-- Ishpeming {18 Holes}
--Al Quaal-Olympic Trail DGC-- Ishpeming {18 Holes}
--Ella Sharp Park-- Jackson {18 Holes}
--Grand Isle-- Belmont {18 Holes}
--Homestead Greens DGC-- Harvey {18 Holes}
--James Nelson Park-- Sterling Heights {18 Holes}
--Memorial Course-- Republic {18 holes}
--Rolling Hills County Park [2nd Course]-- {18 Holes}
--Rotary Park-- Livonia {18 Holes}
--Wolcott Mill Metropark-- Ray {18 Holes}
--Baker's Field Park-- Port Huron {9-18 Holes}
--BC State Rec Area-- Bay City {9-18 Holes}
--Columbus Park-- Columbus {9-18 Holes}
--Independence Green DGC-- Farmington Hills {9-18 Holes}
--Ramona Park-- Portage {9-18 Holes}
--Rosevear Park-- Owosso {9-18 Holes}

-----{If anyone has additional info that should be added to the list, please let me know.}-----

More specifically, does anyone know if these courses be open Nov. 7-11? Or someone to ask to find out?

Forrest Omland or Ric Evans. They are both very active up that way. I have met them both along the way. They are usually on Disc Golf Scene, might be the best way to shoot them a message. I also have good luck with the talk section there. I am heading up north this weekend and sent out a couple course questions, answered promptly. Good luck and have fun on those courses. McSauba is a beast, just an awesome course. Hopefully you will catch some colors too.

Thanks ru4por. Contacted both of them.

Avalanche leaves its baskets in year round. Only two baskets at McSauba will be pulled, and only when it gets snowy/freezing enough overnight (so after Thanksgiving probably). Boyne will unfortunately be pulling their baskets this weekend.

Thanks ru4por. Contacted both of them.

Avalanche leaves its baskets in year round. Only two baskets at McSauba will be pulled, and only when it gets snowy/freezing enough overnight (so after Thanksgiving probably). Boyne will unfortunately be pulling their baskets this weekend.

Glad to help. Just got back from up north. Played Carly's, Hickory Hills, Udell Rollaway and Myles Kimmerly. All in great shape and the colors are just reaching peak. Have a good trip man.

Does any one have an inkling as to when the proposed courses in Livonia at Rotary Park and in Farmington Hills at Independence Green are likely to be completed?

My hope is that those courses draw some of the herd away from Cass Benton this coming summer.

There has been some (soft) rumblings about a course going in at Long Lake in Sparta.
Don't know how true this is...

Does any one have an inkling as to when the proposed courses in Livonia at Rotary Park and in Farmington Hills at Independence Green are likely to be completed?

My hope is that those courses draw some of the herd away from Cass Benton this coming summer.

Cass Benton was awesome when it first opened. I played it a bunch then and during the Ann Arbor worlds in 2000. When I returned to play it again maybe just 6 years later, it was already in sad shape due to a--holes. I shudder to think what it must be like if it continued from '06 to now in the same fashion...

Cass Benton was awesome when it first opened. I played it a bunch then and during the Ann Arbor worlds in 2000. When I returned to play it again maybe just 6 years later, it was already in sad shape due to a--holes. I shudder to think what it must be like if it continued from '06 to now in the same fashion...

Despite the "changes" to the course I still think it is the best in SE Michigan. The vandal factor has actually gone down over the past couple years. It is seeing less traffic now than in 2006-2008, when IMO it was at peak usage. Trees have even been planted at the top of the hill on 16 guarding the approach to the basket.

If those new courses open up in the coming spring I think Cass could make a rebound in terms of maintenance. Rotary Park especially could make a huge difference in the number of people who come to Cass.

I changed Belle Isle to "Temporary" on the course info page because it simply isn't available to play on any type ongoing basis. You can't just show up and play a casual round.... certainly seems temporary to me.

However, it is available to use for specific events/tournies if you're so inclined. I'm checking with Andrew at Up In The Air regarding the following:

1) Who does one need to contact in at the city (phone, e-mail, name of office or dept) to make arrangements?

2) Who's baskets did we play with Sunday? Were those Up In the Air's? If so, would it be possible for someone to rent/borrow them?

3) Whom did you contact regarding insurance for the event? Chances are it'd be easier to deal with people who've already been through such a transaction once or twice.

4) What else might the TD/event organizer have to deal with that's unique to this venue... like getting the key to that building?

I'll try to compile that info together in a single document and link it to on the course's "Links/Files" tab, and reference that file somewhere on the course Info Page. The collars are in the ground, but I don't think the baskets stay in the ground. Right now, UITA is the only group scheduling stuff on that courses, but technically, anyone can.

Last edited: