• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid version of zero pure?

LucasP

Birdie Member
I love the flight of my zero pures. I just wish I could comfortably stretch them a bit further. So I'm in need if the most pure like mid. I have got over stable and under stable kids covered... Sam Marino star roc and dx stingray respectively. But I can't find that straight mid that I'm comfortable with. I have a z buzz that I have never jived with. And a kc pro roc that I currently throw, but I'm really hit or miss with it. Don't like how my hand fits it. I also have a comet but its just too touchy for round play.

I know there will be lots of opinions. But what are some recommendations on that straight minimal fade mid. I've been reading up on the fuse and axis, but am really interested in what people have to say.

I think the ibex is the straightest flying disc I have ever thrown. I don't know how the pure flies, but it sounds to me like an ibex may fit the bill of what you're looking for.

If you are looking for something that is straight flying out of the box I would say get an MVP Axis. Once they break in a bit they are really nice for hyzer flip and longer turnovers.

Last edited:
How far are you throwing them now that you don't want to push them further?

I agree with TADD's Opto recommendation. My best throw so far with my Opto isn't to 300' yet, but it's handled everything my poor, but improving form can offer and has done so without complaint. If you have to use a mid, maybe you should put in a little more time with your Z Buzzz. There's a reason booter calls the Pure a mini-Buzzz...

My Opto Pure is my point-and-shoot mid. If it's a shot unreachable by my Pure (and Optos are sneaky long for putters.) then I'm in River territory.

I don't see the opto pures going much further than your zero pures.

A Core in opto would be my recommendation. I throw z-buzz for the line he wants.

I would also recommend more field work with the comet, it will tell you when your form is proper.
(not recommended in the wind)

I'll chime in on your Fuse/Axis research. The Fuse is straighter on a hyzer release than a flat one, and is a slow glider. Axis requires a bit more snap and travels faster. I have both in the bag and tend to use the Fuse for poor terrain standstill shots and the Axis as my workhorse. It's pretty point and shoot and can be stretched out for distance.

One more vote for Core.
I prefer to throw Core for straight shots.
Fuse is a great disc.
But I believe it's a bit understable to be what you are looking for.

Fuse is a great disc, but it tends to sneak a bit right on a flat release. I support a lightweight Opto Core, maybe a 170ish Gold Line. Travels faster, further and straighter than a Fuse. If you decide to go with a Fuse, go heavy and Opto.

I love the flight of my zero pures. I just wish I could comfortably stretch them a bit further. So I'm in need if the most pure like mid. I have got over stable and under stable kids covered... Sam Marino star roc and dx stingray respectively. But I can't find that straight mid that I'm comfortable with. I have a z buzz that I have never jived with. And a kc pro roc that I currently throw, but I'm really hit or miss with it. Don't like how my hand fits it. I also have a comet but its just too touchy for round play.

I know there will be lots of opinions. But what are some recommendations on that straight minimal fade mid. I've been reading up on the fuse and axis, but am really interested in what people have to say.

Lol, It's San Marino, but anywho get an axis or buzz

Lol, It's San Marino, but anywho get an axis or buzz

Lol yes I'm well aware that is San Marino. iPhone likes to auto correct me.

I probably should have been a little more clear. From a stand still with a controlled reach back and controlled distance I throw my pures about 200. I can push them further but accuracy really suffers.

I'm missing the mid I can feel comfortable throwing from a standstill. My buzzz comet and kc pro roc are all good off the tee but even with field work 3 times a week I can't get comfortable with them from a stand still.

buzzz axis hyzer flipped fuse or seasoned roc are all going to be the best straight mids, and the SM roc should actually be very straight and not overstable.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I went down and fondled cores, warships and and an axis. The axis won my heart over. I ended up with a 174 purple proton axis. After two rounds at the local nine hole course I'm a happier camper. Very straight with gentle fade. When it beats in a little it will be perfect. Thanks again.

Latest posts