• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Midrange Tips

kinger

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
This is my 1st year playing the game and after a handful of rounds playing with old discs given to me by a generous friend I went out and bought some new Innova DX discs. I've had fairly good success with everything I bought except for the two midranges which I have yet to get comfortable with.

Cobra, 168 g
Spider, 150 g

The Cobra seems to go fairly straight, but flies low and dives quick. It's hard for me to get a comfortable reliable distance with this disc.
The Spider flies well and I can judge distance much better, but it always seems to fade way right at the end of the throw (I am a left handed back hand thrower by the way).

Over the past few weeks I've put both discs away and have been using an old Roc, 171g that was one of the discs originally given to me. I absolutely adore this disc and can throw it straighter than any other disc in my bag, it has become my exclusive midrange.

I'm glad to have found confidence and reliability with the old Roc, but I still want to be able to pull out the Cobra and Spider when needed.
Any tricks to throwing each of these, or could they be used for other types of shots?
I've used the Cobra with good success in throwing around trees and other obstacles as it seems to hold a nice angle over a decent distance.

I'm thinking of just going out one night with nothing but the Cobra and Spider and playing a round using only these discs to hopefully get comfortable.

There is no reason you have to carry more than 1 mold for your midrange. It is common to carry 3 or more Rocs in various stages of wear.
#1 Roc- A new DX Roc will cover your overstable needs
#2 Roc- a beat DX Roc wil cover your straight needs
#3 Roc- a wore-slap-out DX Roc will cover your understable needs.
That way you are only buying DX Rocs. As your #1 DX Roc beats in you have a replacement for your #2 DX Roc. As your #2 gets more wear and tear then you will have a replacement for your #3 Roc.
Using this system is a very tidy way of limiting your disc purchases while still covering all of your midrange needs. Plus you only have to familiarize yourself with 1 midrange mold profile so (in theory) your consistency inproves.

Last edited:
The Cobra seems to go fairly straight, but flies low and dives quick. It's hard for me to get a comfortable reliable distance with this disc.
I'm not quite sure I understand the problem. If it's flying too low, aim higher. ;)

The Spider flies well and I can judge distance much better, but it always seems to fade way right at the end of the throw (I am a left handed back hand thrower by the way).
That's normal. The Roc did that when it was new, too. Fade like that generally adds consistancy and makes ranging easier. It will fade less as it gets beat.

I also agree with everyting Marmoset said.

there is plenty of reason to use more than a roc! if you loose your beat up roc what do you do? go buy one and throw it into the ground a hundred times?
Go discraft! seriously their midranges are soo much better. also try throwing more "nose up" to keep it higher. But try a buzzz. They are amazing midranges. Turnoverable, yet they fly very nice and straight with a comfortable amount of power. and for your overstable needs try either a wasp, for a nice hyzer, or a drone, for some serious hook.

What Marmoset and Garublador said. Solid advice...

Keep using that old Roc for longer straight shots and turnover/anny shots and consider a new one (same weight) for the stable/fade shots in place of the Spider.

With those two Rocs, new and beat-in, you're covered and can really begin to work on shaping lines. You have discs #1 and #2 of Marmoset's post. Then as the new one beats in the the old get's even more beat, they become #2 and #3. Add a new one. Now you have #1, #2, and #3. Done.

I use and love cobras. Its is my go to mid range disc. I carry 2, both dx, both 180 grams, one is more "broke in" than the other. I use to play classic cobras only, but they dont make them any more. So sad. If you put more snap on it I think you'll get the results you are looking for. Dont give up on the cobra, the snake can be your friend!!

There is no reason you have to carry more than 1 mold for your midrange. It is common to carry 3 or more Rocs in various stages of wear.
#1 Roc- A new DX Roc will cover your overstable needs
#2 Roc- a beat DX Roc wil cover your straight needs
#3 Roc- a wore-slap-out DX Roc will cover your understable needs.
That way you are only buying DX Rocs. As your #1 DX Roc beats in you have a replacement for your #2 DX Roc. As your #2 gets more wear and tear then you will have a replacement for your #3 Roc.
Using this system is a very tidy way of limiting your disc purchases while still covering all of your midrange needs. Plus you only have to familiarize yourself with 1 midrange mold profile so (in theory) your consistency inproves.

While this is one way to get the effect you want, I think you could argue equally for having a roc and a stratus as even a newish roc doesn't do a bad job on straight shots (unless they are so short you should use a putter). Or a Roc and an Aero and you could just flick the roc instead of having an understable disc. Of course, which ever way you go, you really should have at least one Roc in your bag. For a new player, there are few discs better than a roc to start you on the road to good form.

I personally keep a DX Cobra (or 2) in my bag for the scary shots when I feel like I might lose my much-cherished beat Roc.
I like Cobras a lot, they are very useful discs. If I had to choose only one method or the other I would choose the Rocs in various stages.

Right now my bag is all 150 class.
When I use my normal weight bag, I out Comets in place of the Cobras. The Comets will get more game time than the Rocs in this scenario. Love me some Comets.

if you find a disc you like to throw... spend a little more and get it in better plastic (star/champ for innova or z/flx for discraft) that way you are able to keep the disc flying the same way for longer and therefore can rely on it to do its job when needed. Then you can justify having several mid-range molds because each will act a little different, and can be called upon in different situations.

if you find a disc you like to throw... spend a little more and get it in better plastic (star/champ for innova or z/flx for discraft) that way you are able to keep the disc flying the same way for longer and therefore can rely on it to do its job when needed. Then you can justify having several mid-range molds because each will act a little different, and can be called upon in different situations.

This is the oppsosite of the advice I initially gave you.
Either method works well but I think the advantages of the method I described outweigh the advantages mreynolds described. Mreynolds obviously disagrees with me.

Which method you choose depends on where your priorities lie.

EDIT: Is Pro, Champ or Star plastic really "better" than DX? That's debatable. And again, your winner will be determined by your priorities.

I'm thinking of just going out one night with nothing but the Cobra and Spider and playing a round using only these discs to hopefully get comfortable.

This. Anytime you buy a new disc you need to get used to it. The more you play, the quicker you'll learn new plastic when you buy it.

I also find that many discs start off slightly more overstable than advertised, so you'll need to throw a few shots with it to wear the fade off of it.

Go out and learn to throw your discs, if you use them daily for a few weeks and still can't get any more comfortable then you'll know the molds aren't for you.

Excellent idea of just using those two discs for a few rounds. You will get to throw them over and over and should be able to pick up on a feew of their secrets. It takes time to figure out a disc. The ROC is a good one to stick with for a while as well. One thing that might be an issue is the weight difference between the two. Each will fly different especially in different weights.

I carry two molds, Buzzes and Comets.

1 Z buzzz
1 X buzzz
1 Z Comet
1 X Comet

I'm currently trying to beat in both X versions to be less stable counterparts, as of now the X versions are pretty new. I can accomplish all midrange shots with the buzzz, comet, and wizard (putter)

Thanks everybody.......
I am planning on heading out with only these 2 discs soon to help break them in and to get comfortable as well (I will also bring the Polecat I've been neglecting).
I understand the suggestions for other discs, but at this point I want to focus on what I currently own.

Get a buzzz, now... like right now... I have a beat in cobra that i use for my under stable shots and a fairly new roc for my over stable shots BUT... ever since i got a buzzz about a month and a half ago i just seem to throw it more and more and i really like it... you should do your self a favor and get one...

Latest posts