• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MikeTheBlueCow's Bag 2016

MikeTheBlueCow

Par Member
Just looking for some feedback, maybe disc suggestions/replacements. I've been playing 4 years. Most skilled at RHBH, decent RHFH, no overhands or rollers typically. Throwing around 350 feet, course distance, with my highest speed drivers.

I've tried to set up my bag with an OS/S/US disc every driver class, minimum, plus utility discs. All discs are max weight unless otherwise noted. Here it is.

Putter:
  • Proxy, Soft Neutron, new. Love this for putting.

Approach discs:
  • Envy, Neutron, new. Nice approach disc, haven't tried it for driving yet. A little shocked how little fade it has, though nice that it has some.
  • Zone, Titanium, new. Definitely performs overstable, no complaints.
  • I want to add a stiff Neutron Proxy here. I have tested out my soft N one for approaches and I love it. I want a stiff N one for approaches and drives. A little concerned with the overlap with the Envy, might kick the Envy out of my bag. What do you think?

Mids:
  • Alias, Neutron, new. Not loving it. Supposed to be my straight mid, but has a consistent rightward drift when I release flat. I'm okay with trying to learn the right hyzer angle to release it on for a straight flight, but I haven't gotten that down yet. I may just use my Envy or Proxy instead of a straight mid for these shots. I feel like they would perform fine for my use cases. Thoughts on that, or suggestions for a different disc that is oh-so-slightly more stable?
  • Theory, Neutron, new. Lowest speed US disc I have. Does it's job, no complaints.
  • VRoc, metal flake champion, new. It flies 4-4-0-2 so far. Exactly what I expected out of it. However, I don't use this very often. So far, only when I want a reliable fade because I can't trust my Alias to do that. Might not need it?
  • Gator, Star, not new but not often used. In fact, really never used. I've been using either my Zone or a fairway OS disc instead. The bead messes up my release, so I never liked this disc. It's basically out of my bag... but I would like a suggestion for a similar flying disc with no bead. I've been loving my MVP/Axiom discs, and I know they have the Matrix coming out and fans are hoping it will be their Gator. Saw a pic on facebook yesterday, looked beadless, so my fingers are crossed this will be the disc for me.

Fairways:
  • Inspire, Proton, new. I prefer Neutron/Star type plastic, but this was cheap on the MST Axiom sell off, so I got the proton. I wasn't using it until recently, and it got a big gash in the rim when it hit a rock... not happy about that. If it beats in too fast I'll replace it with either a new Neutron one, or I'll see about the Signal that's coming out.
  • Crave, Neutron, new. I like it. I also had a Star Teebird and a Star TL I was testing this against, and it won, right inbetween them, so it made the bag.
  • Resistor, Neutron, new. Never had a utility OS 6-7 speed fairway before, but it has come in handy sometimes.

Control Drivers:
  • Amp, Neutron, new. Not as US as I wanted for a ~9 speed. Suggestions?
  • Volt, Neutron, new. Perfect for what I want, straight, reliable-but-little fade. Tried a Timberwolf against it, wasn't stable enough. A Thunderbird had more fade. So this is nice.
  • Shock, Neutron, new. Not sure about this one. Not as OS as I thought I wanted, but a good bit more OS than the Volt. Not sure if I want something a little more OS though? I have the Volt, then this, then a Utility OS, so I was hoping for something OS but not sure if this is the right amount of OS for between those other two discs. But maybe I haven't used it enough yet. Thoughts?
  • Monster, Star, used but not seasoned. Definitely Monster OS.
  • Boatman, VIP, used not seasoned. Don't use this a lot, might be wanting something straighter, mine has a good bit more fade than I wanted.

Distance Drivers:
  • unLace, Medium, new but seams to beat in fairly quickly. Had gotten this 175 to replace a 169 that got much too flippy much too fast. This seemed to be a perfect replacement for what I wanted, but it's getting ripped up, already more US but still about where I want it. Going to look forward to MVP getting a replacement out for me later this year.
  • Sorcerer, VIP, seasoned. I like it where it's at.
  • Halo, opto, seasoned. Not OS anymore, more like straight-stable. I like it, acts similar to my sorcerer but just a touch of fade. This duo is like the bigger brothers to my Proxy+Envy duo.
  • Stiletto, opto, new. Had a World here but it got seasoned and on a windy day it took a hard right turn on me (that it had never done before) and I lost it in heavy brush. Stiletto is more OS than I wanted, so I'd like to find a suggestion for between the Halo and Stiletto. Might wait for the MVP driver announcements because I'm preferring them and been disliking my Trilogy plastic.
  • Boss, Blizzard Champ, 158, used. I use this for "pure distance with reliable fade".
  • Vulcan, Champion, 158, new. I use this for my lighter weight US shots--"pure distance with reliable turn", uphill anhyzers, or even justs when I want a touch of fade that I don't think the unLace will give me.
  • Nuke SS, ... not sure the plastic/weight but I think it's 175 anyways. I use this for an understable-but-reliable fade. Not positive I need it, I just tinker with it sometimes. Might want a Katana instead, not sure, never really understood how a disc could have a good amount of turn and good amount of fade, so haven't played with those options much. Thoughts?

I'm relatively happy with my bag, just a few small quirks I wouldn't mind getting ironed out if anyone has any thoughts. Before anyone says it, I know I have a lot of discs, yes I know I could simplify and carry less, but I'm not really interested in that kind of advice, just thoughts on the subjects I mentioned, I enjoy carrying a lot around and tinkering with them. I will be carrying less drivers around probably; I don't really need the Boss, the Sorcerer and Halo are basically the same disc now that they are both so seasoned in, the Vulcan isn't entirely necessary, and the Nuke SS is just interesting momentarily. The Boatman is also rather worthless for me. Thanks for any helpful ideas :hfive:

As soon as I tried the alias, I got rid of it and kept throwing the envy. It flies far enough.

Imo the axiom/MVP putters are gonna pair well with MVP's faster mids and other tweener style discs.

Last edited:
Putter:
  • Proxy, Soft Neutron, new. Love this for putting.

Approach discs:
  • Envy, Neutron, new. Nice approach disc, haven't tried it for driving yet. A little shocked how little fade it has, though nice that it has some.
  • Zone, Titanium, new. Definitely performs overstable, no complaints.
  • I want to add a stiff Neutron Proxy here. I have tested out my soft N one for approaches and I love it. I want a stiff N one for approaches and drives. A little concerned with the overlap with the Envy, might kick the Envy out of my bag. What do you think?

I don't have a Soft Proxy (blasphemy, I know), but I have two (firm) Neutron Proxys and a Neutron Envy. I tend to use the Proxy on approaches to the basket. I use the Envy for the same in higher winds as well as throws off the tee. So the Envy is my relatively overstable approach disc and the Proxy is the straight to slightly understable (especially as it seasons in). So the Proxy just might not kick the Envy out of your bag.

Also, my two Neutron Amps are not understable at all; one is pretty straight flying and the other is a bit overstable, and it's a backup. I don't know what MVP/Axiom understable disc to suggest (and I'll never suggest the Orbital), so you might look into an Innova Star Roadrunner or Latitude 64 Gold Line Fury. Both are good understable disc, especially as they season in.

Over time, you can decide which discs in your bag you like best and are most useful to you, and you can start reducing the mold count. But part of the fun of DG is going out and playing in order to do just that. :)

Ditto the thought proxy shouldn't bump the envy out of the bag. Axiom even describes them as complimentary. My home course I have two holes I drive the envy and two holes I drive the proxy. Most of my approach shots are with the envy but if I have some kind of backstop and can run straight at the basket I use the proxy.

Have you tried a Drone for overstable Midrange? Maybe a Ti Drone would be overstable enough. The Gator is kinda like a Teebird. There are similar discs but not the same flight.

Have you tried a Drone for overstable Midrange? Maybe a Ti Drone would be overstable enough. The Gator is kinda like a Teebird. There are similar discs but not the same flight.

Haven't tried one yet. What I don't like about the Gator is the bead, and looks like a Drone is beadless so I might give it a go. :thmbup:

Latest posts