• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minimalist Trailrunners for DG?

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
So, I've long been searching for the shoe that best fits me to play in. I've worn sneakers, running shoes, last season I mostly wore a pair of Merrell Chameleon3 shoes.

What I personally always come back to is that I prefer breathability over weather-proofing. I like the cool, mesh format of my running shoes. But they just aren't built to handle the harsher heel-toe-pivot of a good drive or rougher terrain. Not to mention on steeper slopes I'm more likely to slip and make an ass of myself.

But high-top hikers or even the lower Chameleon3's feel too rugged and constricting to me. Maybe it's because before I got into DG I played soccer, tennis, racquetball, etc. Sports that required a lot of mobility in my shoes.

What I am wondering, is if anyone has tried using more minimalist trailrunning shoes. Ideally something like this:

Saucony Peregine 2

It appears to have the breathability I want, and the ruggedness I need. But I don't drop $100 lightly. I didn't know if anyone had experienced anything like these for playing DG. Any experience or suggestions you all might have would be great. Thanks!

FYI----Please, no suggestions to try Vibram's Five Fingers. I've tried them on and there is no way they fit my feet well enough to be anything but misery curdled.

No experience with those but I do know that Merrell and New Balance make a more traditional (no toe pockets) barefoot style shoe now.

I have New-Balance minumus. the first oens they came out because they were 45 bucks at Marshalls and they are sick. You have to get used to them and your feet may hurt and be sore for a few days because it seems like you use more muscles in the feet and legs due to less padding. I am pleased to say the least.

lets see i bought them about a month ago and play mabye 3 rounds a day. They probably will(could)last till end of august. I've used them for some tennis too so that definetly took to wear on 'em. DEfinetly a 6 month lifespan at minimum for 34.95 plus tax isn't to shabby.

I use these

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX

very rugged
good grip
probably a better shoe overall than the Saucony (the grip on which looks more Runner than Trail)

but they are expensive

I think I've been using them for about a year now...give or take
I have 2 pairs...gore tex and a mesh version

the only thing to go so far is the laces on the gore tex version
they are, however, replaceable

they will continue to last me through this summer and probably next

I play in wet, dry, mud, snow
probably 2 to 3 times a week
4 to 6 hours per time

Last edited:
a few weeks ago i ordered a pair of saucony xodus 2's after reading another shoe thread around here. they're a trail running shoe with a vibram sole. they're pretty comfy but haven't worn them out golfing yet as i'm trying to get a few more rounds out of the shoes they will be replacing. i found mine online for 60 bucks plus shipping since the xodus 3 is out. the older ones are cheaper and look a lot better in my opinion.

I don't have experience with that particular pair, but I will tell you that you feel every foot impact. When I run outdoors I switch between Five Fingers and some Innov8's and I honestly can't imagine disc golfing in them.

TBH, I know you come from a soccer background and all - but you don't need that kind of mobility to play this sport. I play in low-top hiking shoes (Merrell Ventilators and a new set of Keen's that I can't remember the name) and would rather have the ankle protection on pivoting/follow-through. However I come from a basketball background so I'm used to bigger shoes.

I have been playing all my rounds for the last 6 months or so in my Asics Gel Trail Attacks.
UDpNrLL97HoopBoLCceZ9S0OB9mdq0tuwGcnbC0jMX7F9jg2ocaH5Zu9pl5f1OGzNWz2ThyrMbspFNWWvOWGukQD3Jvc7aHAuG8Jv4rN-ESlGRqI1d6vmYmIg0UOYKeRjfD3bc6k4AjRAVnmK-KOCttBzt3-u_GU7_n7o2Y

These are super lightweight trail running shoes, with a gummy grippy sole and a mesh, slipper like upper.
I like that the sole doesnt slip on wet grass, like any harder compound would, and the minimal sole means I'm less likely to roll an ankle.

Would I wear my new Saucony Kinvara 7 ounce minimal street running shoes ?
No way, too flimsy, they would fall apart, but I put lots of hardcore trail miles on the Attacks, including some lengthy travel in running streams (lost off trail, had to find my way out) and lots of wet muddy trails, so I know they will hold up.

You might like these Salomon's I found for 50$ on Sierra Trading Post.

Salomon-RX-Moc.jpg

Full mesh upper that is SUPER breathable, and the pair weigh less than 1 of my Merrell Chameleon 4's.

Overall I find them extremely light, cushioned and cool. Before the weather got warm here in Ohio they were too cold for me to want to wear outside even.

I don't find them as supportive on a full power x-step as I do my Merrell's, and sometimes they feel like they slip around a bit, but I've played a few rounds in them and they're holding up well enough. I haven't had any issues driving with them yet, but I don't know how well they'd hold up as a dedicated DG shoe. I usually just wear them around the house, for casual putter rounds at pitch n putts, and when I'm tossing warm-up putts, then switch to my Chameleons for a full bag round.

I used to wear Nike Frees, but don't like the feel of their updated styling. Now, I wear Reebok Realflex, and love them. They are made of mesh so they breath well, have thin soles so you can feel the ground, can dig your toes in on slippery terrain, and they are holding up well on both concrete teepads and gravel. I also wear them out walking and running, and they are looking to have about a 2-3 year life span. I paid almost a bill for mine, but they are probably cheaper now that they're not brand new.