• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Bag build

JayBee74

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 4 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some FH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: 200-300

Started with an Innova Starter pack then bought an MVP starter pack plus a few discs that I picked up here and there and like most noobs I bought discs faster than my arm.

Currently bagging -
Innova
Wraith
Valkyrie
Shark
Aviar
Dynamic Discs
Escape
Felon
MVP
Orbital Neutron - too unstable for me ? I don't have the arm to hyzer flip it but if I throw it flat it wil veer off the right...
Servo Neutron- was trying to find a good forehand disc, solid Meh
Vector Proton - love this disc, from how it fits in my hand to how it flies, would only like an option to this disc that finishes straighter when I need it too
Anode (not sure what plastic? 2017 Winter Series is all it says...) - love this disc too, fits in hand nice, flies dead straight, will hold a line good

So first of all my first order of business is that I want to work on my putting. If I had a bunch of money I'd just buy 10 Anodes so that I didn't have to walk back and forth after every putt. So that brings up my question - I was going to buy a few more putters for putting practice but I was also going to mix it up a little with the Atom, Ion, Particle or Spin - so one one hand I have different putters for different winds but the question is for practicing are they close enough in flight characteristics that if I throw them back to back it would be a good practice session ?

So next, looking for mid range suggestions to complement the Vector and finally some control/fairway drivers suggestions (don't think I really need a distance driver yet...)

As far as what's already in my bag I've gotten some good throws with the Wraith and the Valkyrie. The Escape has given me some good throws but the Felon has been solidly meh.

Sorry for the long post still learning a bunch here and trying to keep it all sorted in my brain.

buy 5 plaz ions

mvp mids are horrible look to some other brand(s) or no mids at all

throw a plaz volt in instead of the escape

pair OS wraith with plaz volt with valk

kill any tourney

Jaybee,

Welcome to DGCR! :hfive:

I'll get this out of the way first...unless MVP is paying you, there really isn't a reason to throw one brand. They make great drivers and putters but other companies also have great/better options for certain slots and why limit yourself? (okay, PSA over...take it or leave it :D)

1. You've figured this one out for yourself but drop everything faster than the Valk to start with (Escape, Felon, Orbital, Wraith).

2. At 4 months in and at your distances...you really should be focusing on good form and putting. It seems you like the Anode...no need to buy 10 but buy a few in a few different plastics...maybe an Electron Anode for putting and learn to drive/approach with premium ones. This will help your form a lot.

3. If you are dead set on MVP discs (I've throw a bunch of them and they are great) I'd add a Matrix (a straight midrange you can learn angles with), Relay (an US fairway that will teach you to hyzerflip well) and the Volt (easily the best disc MVP makes next to the Ion). Focus on those 4 while you are learning. I believe in a less is more approach and especially just starting out, really focusing and learning to throw a few discs well will really help you out.

4. Spend time in reading the following:
Technique and Strategy Subforum
How to Build a Bag
Discing Down Adventures

5. Have fun!

The Axis (may be OOP) is the neutral complement to the Vector. I personally would use the Axiom Proxy. It's quite long for being a putter. The Relay and Axiom Crave are the fairways I'd recommend. I used the Crave for FH and Servo for BH for a while, and they flew similarly for me.

I've been playing for just about a year now. In fact I think Today would be right around my first year mark. I've gone through just about every major company out there, and am coming back full circle to putting Innova back in my bag.
I was building an all Gyro bag, and today is the day that all of the Gyro's are heading to PIAS. I just had better luck with other companies, and like Streets stated, unless some company is paying you, there's no reason to no reason to have a single company bag, when there are SO MANY great molds out there. You even have one of my faves in your bag, the Escape. I'm also going to recommend throwing a Maverick in there, also from DD and a Harp, a great putt approach disc from Westside. Right now, this spring has weird mix, Innova, DD, Westside, and Discraft. I just was never able to throw Gyro like any of these other brands, so I just gave up on them. I think if you limit yourself to one specific company, you'll end up not having much fun, and that's what it's all about right?

I was only focusing on MVP for the fact that the ones that I have that I love and fit in my hand well are MVP. I'm at a total loss though why MVP would put such an understable driver in a starter pack...

I rewatched some of the youtube videos I had watched before I thought they had recommended to get different putters for different wind conditions but after re-watching it said just to use different throwing techniques... so I guess there is no need for different stability putters ?

Thanks for the input, I had found a MVP bag build on Reddit but the comments were like try a XXX it throws like a sexybird ! while I know what a sexybird is I have no idea what it throws like !!! hahahaha

I was only focusing on MVP for the fact that the ones that I have that I love and fit in my hand well are MVP. I'm at a total loss though why MVP would put such an understable driver in a starter pack...

I rewatched some of the youtube videos I had watched before I thought they had recommended to get different putters for different wind conditions but after re-watching it said just to use different throwing techniques... so I guess there is no need for different stability putters ?

Thanks for the input, I had found a MVP bag build on Reddit but the comments were like try a XXX it throws like a sexybird ! while I know what a sexybird is I have no idea what it throws like !!! hahahaha

Yeah don't go to reddit for disc golf advice...all those guys do is post mail calls of their pretty Trilogy discs.

I think the best thing I can say is check out the Discs forum here. I've gleaned a ton of good information from there, and start hitting up Play It Again Sports. Call your local one first to see if they do discs, if they do then you've got a good source to try out a lot of different discs. I just picked up an Innova Ontario Roc (legendary mid range) today for just stupid cheap. Good luck man!

The Axis is the complement to the Vector you seek. They feel very similar.

Atom, Particle, Ion, Anode, Envy and Proxy are all going to putt roughly similar inside the circle. The Spin is noticeably more understable but still stable enough for putting, especially jump-putts. The thing to know about MVP putters is that the Ion, Anode, and Spin have rounded inner rims whereas the others have traditional, squared-off rims. If you really like the Anode, the Ion is going to be just a bit more stable thanks to a bead which makes it a nice, dependable throwing putter.

I LOVE the N Servo for a FH disc. I didn't at first but it really beat into a reliable laser FW driver for me. If you want something more overstable like most sidearm learning guys want, a Resistor if you really need some beef to lean on, the Volt if you're wanting something still manageable.

The FW driver from MVP that every new player should try is the N Relay. Very workable and consistent. The Crave is a great, dead straight FW driver that can take some power and get out there for its speed. The Switch is also really nice but it's naturally more S-curvy than the two I just mentioned.

I've never had an Orbital but literally everyone that has has said they are really understable, rollers out the box. It might worth be holding onto for field practice to learn to throw clean hyzers with to learn to control that flip.

The Axis (may be OOP) is the neutral complement to the Vector. I personally would use the Axiom Proxy. It's quite long for being a putter. The Relay and Axiom Crave are the fairways I'd recommend. I used the Crave for FH and Servo for BH for a while, and they flew similarly for me.

Welcome! This is pretty much what I was going to say. Axis is still in print it's the logical next step down from Vector.. But personally I bagged a Tangent for that slot, both are great I just love the rounded feel of the Tangent.. Not the glidiest mid but more controllable flies like a longer putter, so I don't need a Proxy. Pairs well with the Anode.

MVP putters are all pretty good.. If you found something you love for hand feel (Anode) buy a couple Anodes... but beware buy different molds and you may have doubts.

Relay/Crave good combo.. Don't be afraid to check out lighter weight stuff. The Orbital is entertaining and something to mess with as you get to hyzerflipping.. Having a disc that breaks over from flat is good to learn with.

Yeah don't go to reddit for disc golf advice...all those guys do is post mail calls of their pretty Trilogy discs.

And post Ace pictures. And ask, "if you could only carry 3 discs..."

Get you either a crave or a volt for a stable fairway driver to lean on and beat to crap. They're both good discs.

If you want a disc to forehand that will cover your form problems, resistor good. You can FH a volt or crave really well, too, but you have to do it right. Resistor is very overstable and will hide your flaws. Not great for learning good form, but a useful disc, even if it doesn't go terribly far.

Anodes are good. I personally prefer the Proxy/Envy throwing putter combo, but go with what feels good in your hand.

The Axis is the complement to the Vector you seek. They feel very similar.

Atom, Particle, Ion, Anode, Envy and Proxy are all going to putt roughly similar inside the circle. The Spin is noticeably more understable but still stable enough for putting, especially jump-putts. The thing to know about MVP putters is that the Ion, Anode, and Spin have rounded inner rims whereas the others have traditional, squared-off rims. If you really like the Anode, the Ion is going to be just a bit more stable thanks to a bead which makes it a nice, dependable throwing putter.

I LOVE the N Servo for a FH disc. I didn't at first but it really beat into a reliable laser FW driver for me. If you want something more overstable like most sidearm learning guys want, a Resistor if you really need some beef to lean on, the Volt if you're wanting something still manageable.

The FW driver from MVP that every new player should try is the N Relay. Very workable and consistent. The Crave is a great, dead straight FW driver that can take some power and get out there for its speed. The Switch is also really nice but it's naturally more S-curvy than the two I just mentioned.

I've never had an Orbital but literally everyone that has has said they are really understable, rollers out the box. It might worth be holding onto for field practice to learn to throw clean hyzers with to learn to control that flip.

Interesting... I picked up the Servo to have as a forehand disc based on stuff I read... maybe mine is just too light for forehand 155G? I picked it up for a song so no biggie either way. I actually been situationally using it back hand but it seems to fade out pretty hard.

I reckon I like the rounded inner rim. I'll stick with Anode and maybe pick up an Ion too since they seem to be so highly thought of.

What's the thought process with soft putter plastic ? seems people recommend a soft putter for approach shots ? wouldn't you want a soft putter to "grab" the chains ?

and yes, I throw the Orbital as a roller - seems to be the only consistent throw I can get out of it :)

Interesting... I picked up the Servo to have as a forehand disc based on stuff I read... maybe mine is just too light for forehand 155G? I picked it up for a song so no biggie either way. I actually been situationally using it back hand but it seems to fade out pretty hard.

I reckon I like the rounded inner rim. I'll stick with Anode and maybe pick up an Ion too since they seem to be so highly thought of.

What's the thought process with soft putter plastic ? seems people recommend a soft putter for approach shots ? wouldn't you want a soft putter to "grab" the chains ?

and yes, I throw the Orbital as a roller - seems to be the only consistent throw I can get out of it :)

That is really light. Sidearm is more of a torque-y kind of throw so lightweight discs seem more finicky than they would with BH IMO. The secret to success to either is the same though, learning to throw a light disc with clean form leads to big gains in FH just as much as BH.

The Ion is awesome, honestly. Anodes are great too, and they're really similar, but the Anode basically loves going straight whereas the Ion can carve hyzer lines better. A beat in Ion basically flies like a fresh Anode. Ion is great in all plastics, just comes down to feel preference.

Soft putters don't really grab the chains any better IMO. There's not a lot of evidence to support either argument but if you look at pros, they overwhelmingly prefer firm putters. Most pros don't like their putter to flex around much when they're trying to putt. What's really beneficial to soft putters (soft anything) is that they kick less off trees and hit and stick a little better.

Apologies for reviving an older thread, but I'm on the hunt for similar disc info. Your post caught my attention! I've been experimenting with different discs myself, and it's interesting to hear about your experience with the Servo. Maybe the weight is playing a role in its performance for forehand throws.
I'm a fan of the rounded inner rim too! Anodes and Ions are solid choices. I've found that soft putter plastic can have its advantages for approach shots. While it may not necessarily ""grab"" the chains better, it tends to kick less off trees and has a better chance of sticking upon impact.
I came across this site, Matohash (matohash.com), for apparel printing. It could be worth checking out if you're interested. Anyway, sorry for rambling, and thanks for sharing your disc experiences!