• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Durable minimalist/barefoot/zero drop shoes

Think your search may be in vain.

I've disc golfed in so many shoe types. Everything from straight up barefoot to Asolo Thyrus leather hiking boots.

Barefoot style shoes are extremely comfortable, but they're not going to be the best option for disc golf if you're playing a lot of 18 hole courses with concrete teepads.

They'll last fine on natural tees and do pretty well on gravel, but soles under 20mm thick can only last so long grinding and twisting them on rough tees.

If I were you I'd step up to something with a thicker sole. It'll give you shoes more longevity. Wear the barefoots off the course or when playing on natural tees.

There's a wealth of options that fit all your criteria except sole thickness that would last longer and be more durable.

That's the route I took and it's a lot more economical. I use barefoots for day to day use and light runs, minimalist trail runners for harder runs and most disc golf use, adidas terrex wides for muddy rounds, and boots when the weather calls for it. There is no one perfect shoe for year round use IMO.

I'm trying out some Lems Trailheads this summer after using Vapor Gloves all 2021. Not quite zero drop (4mm), but wide enough toebox for me.

Post Appalachian Trail my feet are about half a size bigger and definitely wider and my old vapor gloves don't fit. I have a few pairs of the ESC Vivo Magnas, and the tread is thick enough that it holds up to teepads, but if you're dragging a toe you need more than just a thicker sole. the ESC Magna is definitely heavy (thick rubber lugs and leather upper), and after wearing Hokas most of last year while hiking my feet were sore after 10 miles at Lake Marshall in Vivos.

Think your search may be in vain.

I've disc golfed in so many shoe types. Everything from straight up barefoot to Asolo Thyrus leather hiking boots.

Barefoot style shoes are extremely comfortable, but they're not going to be the best option for disc golf if you're playing a lot of 18 hole courses with concrete teepads.

They'll last fine on natural tees and do pretty well on gravel, but soles under 20mm thick can only last so long grinding and twisting them on rough tees.

If I were you I'd step up to something with a thicker sole. It'll give you shoes more longevity. Wear the barefoots off the course or when playing on natural tees.

There's a wealth of options that fit all your criteria except sole thickness that would last longer and be more durable.

That's the route I took and it's a lot more economical. I use barefoots for day to day use and light runs, minimalist trail runners for harder runs and most disc golf use, adidas terrex wides for muddy rounds, and boots when the weather calls for it. There is no one perfect shoe for year round use IMO.

You just have to do the math. I know a lot of people that play in Altras. On average they seem to last them around 6 months playing a couple of times per week. At $100, that's around $17/month. I've been playing in barefoot trail runners from Amazon. They last me about 3 months. At ~$40 a pair, that's $14/month. I'll stick with the trail runners. They're more comfortable and less expensive in the long run.

You just have to do the math. I know a lot of people that play in Altras. On average they seem to last them around 6 months playing a couple of times per week. At $100, that's around $17/month. I've been playing in barefoot trail runners from Amazon. They last me about 3 months. At ~$40 a pair, that's $14/month. I'll stick with the trail runners. They're more comfortable and less expensive in the long run.

What's the brand you're wearing? I may give them a shot. I haven't bought shoes intended for DG in years, so I've been using my older running shoes mostly.

i split the difference and play in inov8 shoes that have 3-4mm drop depending on the model. i wait till they're on sale.

usually last a season until the aggressive tread wears down. i throw backhand/forehand so wear out both right/left shoes and the stress will tear the uppers on stress points. i did toe drag and was a fan of tuff toe on the drag/stress points, but i eventually stopped the toe drag and and noticed that even with the tuff toe the stress points on uppers would still eventually tear anyway because of how hard disc golf movements are on shoes.

ds4SCXyl.jpg

https://www.inov-8.com/us/x-talon-g-210-v2-mens?colours=794

if the trail running shoes from inov8 get below $100 (which often you could find old models for $80) i'll buy back-ups like i buy backup throwing discs lol. i usually cycle two pairs during a season but disc golf is really so hard on shoes they only really do last a season of regular play.

i ran marathon/half marathons in super duper minimal footwear in the 2008-2012 range but am naturally a forefoot runner so take that with a grain of salt. its weird how i still have minimalist running shoes from 2012 that are still going strong but disc golf is hell on footwear.

i've gone away from being a minimal footwear guy in the sense that my first choice of what to wear usually will be whatever is more minimal (even formal footwear) but nowadays i can wear thick sneakers/shoes and be fine too. i can run/walk in chunky sneakers and be happy.

I've been using the Salomon speed cross 5's. When they got discontinued they were marked down to half price, so I grabbed 5 pairs.

They make really nice dg shoes but the soles aren't the longest lasting I've used. Really great comfort though, and they're much lighter than the merrell hikers I played in for years.

I tried golfing in merrell trail gloves, and while I like them for running and day to day use, I found I prefer having a little more sole for dg.

What's the brand you're wearing? I may give them a shot. I haven't bought shoes intended for DG in years, so I've been using my older running shoes mostly.

These are the most comfortable (and durable) so far. They're on sale for under $30 right now too. There are a bunch of color options, but the styles can differ subtly. There are only a couple there that have the reinforced top of the toe, which has been key for me.

https://amzn.to/41Fnk9N

These are the most comfortable (and durable) so far. They're on sale for under $30 right now too. There are a bunch of color options, but the styles can differ subtly. There are only a couple there that have the reinforced top of the toe, which has been key for me.

Which exact color do you get? The soles and uppers look similar but different for each color.

Thanks. Unfortunately they don't go up to my size.

I found a brand on ebay that goes up to my size, nortiv8. ordered two pairs of barefoot style shoes. i'll report back in a week.

also found a pair of nevado hikers for under $20 shipped in my size, couldn't pass that up. And some $10 water shoes.

Ended up ordering four pairs of shoes for under $100. Hopefully one of them pans out for dg.

I found a brand on ebay that goes up to my size, nortiv8. ordered two pairs of barefoot style shoes. i'll report back in a week.

also found a pair of nevado hikers for under $20 shipped in my size, couldn't pass that up. And some $10 water shoes.

Ended up ordering four pairs of shoes for under $100. Hopefully one of them pans out for dg.

I've seen those Nortiv8 shoes on Amazon. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I've been using the Salomon speed cross 5's. When they got discontinued they were marked down to half price, so I grabbed 5 pairs.

They make really nice dg shoes but the soles aren't the longest lasting I've used. Really great comfort though, and they're much lighter than the merrell hikers I played in for years.

I tried golfing in merrell trail gloves, and while I like them for running and day to day use, I found I prefer having a little more sole for dg.

Exactly my experience with Salomon. Very comfortable, great disc golf shoes, but tread life was poor. The winter boots they sell for whatever reason are an exception though, they make great, thick tread and last a long time. If you're in the market for winter shoes for disc golf, I highly recommend Salomon boots, they are the best combination of great tread, warmth, but somehow lighter weight and athletic too.

I've ended up at using regular non gortex Terrex for disc golf shoes, usually find them for around 50 bucks and I just burn through them. I have a pair of Vibram 5 fingers and some Merrel minimalist shoes that I enjoy putting and training in, the workout and feel is definitely there, but I am NOT a believer in using them on cement pads, I think long term people are going to end up with foot problems doing so. Ymmv.