• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zero Drop/Minimalist, Keen Shoes, Etc.

I have 3 pairs of NB Minimus runners, and they are great for tournaments. No frills, super light weight, and my favorite feature is youcan FEEL the ground. I think this adds to your sense of balance, especially when putting. I also have some NB runners that are my everyday shoes, regular sole. I wear both on the course. I have no slip issues, but my first Minimus shoes did rip at the front of the lace "box" where your toes hinge. both sides of both shoes wore out there. I still wear them. I don't care about water. I will walk into rivers with them. I always wear Smartwools or good wool socks too if that matters. Unless your fairways are 3/4" high grass I see no point in paying for Goretexed up shoes. The water will get in and your feet will sweat. I would rather just let the feet get acclimated instead of fending off the wet. It's gonna happen.

Mine are also tearing on both sides of the toe box. I haven't decided what My next pair is going to be. I might opt for another pair of minimize and "try" avoiding the thorns. A tough call here in Iowa.

cause of my size (both weight and foot), minimalist shoes don't work well. the sole gets shredded fast and there isn't many minimalist brands the make size 15 4E.
To save weight on my feet, I use the mesh hiking shoes or those sandal hybird hiking shoes. They do have the downside as not being nearly as durable as their standard counter-parts.
I played a round once in my wrestling shoes (curiosity) and on the tee they were awesome but slippery as heck on the grass.