• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Durable minimalist/barefoot/zero drop shoes

I've been thinking about trying Altra Lone Peak. I have a pair of regular running shoes from them and love them. Best toe box I've found for my very wide feet. The running shoes I have definitely ARENT disc golf shoes.....wore them one round and almost shredded them. The Lone Peaks look more like a studier trail runner. Might do the trick.

Following. I started out in my normal tennis shoes, but they were worn out before I started playing. Picked up some Merrells and the bottom of the right toe (the sole) wore off completely in just a couple of months. I'm forehand dominant and I drive hard with that right leg off of the ball of the foot and toe.

I decided to try some of those inexpensive Amazon barefoot trail runners. The soles have held up wonderfully, but the first time I slipped on a tee pad I put a hole in that mesh upper near the right big toe. If they made those with more durable uppers they would actually be perfect. Haven't found any yet though.

I'm really considering trying a pair of the Idios, I just hate buying shoes without trying them on first.

Anyone ever tried the Adidas Terrex Swift Solo? They look sorta like the Idio shoes.

I ordered a $48 pair of Vibram off eBay. No idea the model. I was about to spend that on another cheap Amazon pair… so this will tell me if the sizing is correct at the very least, and if it is, whether I'd want to go all in on a new pair.

Following. I started out in my normal tennis shoes, but they were worn out before I started playing. Picked up some Merrells and the bottom of the right toe (the sole) wore off completely in just a couple of months. I'm forehand dominant and I drive hard with that right leg off of the ball of the foot and toe.

I decided to try some of those inexpensive Amazon barefoot trail runners. The soles have held up wonderfully, but the first time I slipped on a tee pad I put a hole in that mesh upper near the right big toe. If they made those with more durable uppers they would actually be perfect. Haven't found any yet though.

I'm really considering trying a pair of the Idios, I just hate buying shoes without trying them on first.

Anyone ever tried the Adidas Terrex Swift Solo? They look sorta like the Idio shoes.

I'm using the Adidas Terrex Swift Solo and am primarily a forehander. I also tend to drag my right foot/toe. The shoe is holding up pretty well, but the sole and toe cap did start to separate. I just used super glue to put it back together and haven't had an issue with it separating since. The toe is wearing through, but so far it's only the black toe cap material and the material under that hasn't worn through at all.

Forgot to add, the Adidas shoe has the sole and toe cap as different parts. From what I've heard from Idio owners and the website, the sole and toe cap are all one part - so they shouldn't have separation issues.

I'm using the Adidas Terrex Swift Solo and am primarily a forehander. I also tend to drag my right foot/toe. The shoe is holding up pretty well, but the sole and toe cap did start to separate. I just used super glue to put it back together and haven't had an issue with it separating since. The toe is wearing through, but so far it's only the black toe cap material and the material under that hasn't worn through at all.

Forgot to add, the Adidas shoe has the sole and toe cap as different parts. From what I've heard from Idio owners and the website, the sole and toe cap are all one part - so they shouldn't have separation issues.

Thanks for the input, Bill.

shoe goo works super well

Altra Lone Peaks

I've been thinking about trying Altra Lone Peak. I have a pair of regular running shoes from them and love them. Best toe box I've found for my very wide feet. The running shoes I have definitely ARENT disc golf shoes.....wore them one round and almost shredded them. The Lone Peaks look more like a studier trail runner. Might do the trick.

I have been wearing these for a few years now and can recommend. I also have wide feet and appreciate the not so tapered toe box that my old Adidas had. Took a little getting used to with the zero drop but now would not go back. I have acquired 3 pairs now, all from the REI garage sales. Main pair is the 3.5, also wear the 2.5 and the 3.5 mid model as I like to alternate shoes on a multi course day (especially if wet conditions). Durability has been great but I don't drag my toe (well maybe sometimes my left toe on an off balance RHBH throw).

shoe goo works super well

It didn't. I used it per the directions (cleaned out all the dirt, used the shoe goo, let it dry), two days after that I played it separated at the join again. Tried it a second time, same result. But the super glue has held over three rounds so far.

It didn't. I used it per the directions (cleaned out all the dirt, used the shoe goo, let it dry), two days after that I played it separated at the join again. Tried it a second time, same result. But the super glue has held over three rounds so far.

thats interesting

we are in very different climates tho

my lazy ass doesnt clean a thing and just piles it on and hopes for the best

even works on my bike saddle that i ripped on a crash

how it goes i suppose

Just got these Vibram classic runners (I think) used off eBay. Awesome. The size is perfect. The soles are not their thickest, but when I buy a new pair I know what size. Let you know how they play when the thunderstorms roll out.

Attachments

• 3A58A21D-BF59-4ECF-9277-7BBE29CC7916.jpg
    3A58A21D-BF59-4ECF-9277-7BBE29CC7916.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 39
These Vibram are exactly what I wanted. Have to wear wicking socks because ANY water will get in.

So have you found your end game shoe or still shopping?

So have you found your end game shoe or still shopping?

Mostly, yes.

These Vibram are what I've been playing in the last few weeks, and they've done all that I wanted. Eventually I'll want whatever model has the most aggressive soles, instead of the smoothish soles on this pair. I do want to put some more months of rounds on them to verify durability. I'm not going in $160 for a new pair that will only last one season.

So these Vibrams officially hold up no better than cheap amazon minimalist shoes.

Attachments

• 1C1B6155-E9A1-41C4-86B6-080D0D9FA1DE.jpg
    1C1B6155-E9A1-41C4-86B6-080D0D9FA1DE.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 38