• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Discs DGX Disc Golf Shoe

And horsman. What is REIs warranty now? One year. Right? Quit hating. Vote with ur wallet and don't buy it. Keep putting pandas on other peoples discs

^that I agree with. Size 12 here. So no go for me. But I can still give credit where it is due. Good looking shoe, great warranty and a fair price

Kinda off topic but when you mention tools all I can think of is harbor freight. If you have never been check it out. Great place if your in a pinch and need that 1 tool you will never use again. I use to be a honda mechanic so I guess I know my way around tools.

No, actually you are pretty on topic considering that was pretty much my point. You are right about harbor freight and they provide great products for those who need then and understand not to overpay or buy into junk. They also sell crap and then you can find the top of the line crazy priced tool else where which gernerally stands up to its $ due to warrenty or other reasoning. Its a give and take but generally with clothing you have to take a lot more then give vs tools where you can return broken socket or wrench no questions asked and doing that isn't something the everyday person does anyways so its not a problem, unlike shoes which wear out all the time.

No, actually you are pretty on topic considering that was pretty much my point. You are right about harbor freight and they provide great products for those who need then and understand not to overpay or buy into junk. They also sell crap and then you can find the top of the line crazy priced tool else where which gernerally stands up to its $ due to warrenty or other reasoning. Its a give and take but generally with clothing you have to take a lot more then give vs tools where you can return broken socket or wrench no questions asked and doing that isn't something the everyday person does anyways so its not a problem, unlike shoes which wear out all the time.

These days when you look at any product with a warranty, well pretty much any product. The bigger the profit margin the better the warranty. Companies will not create a warranty that will drive them into the red.

We have a company up here in Maine called LL Bean. You can exchange anything and everything in that store whenever you want. This is likely because that pair of waterproof pants you bought were so marked up that your price at retailed enabled the company to make 6-8 more pairs from the cost of your 1 pair.

I don't think I will get to much more into our warranty as I think everyone that has seen the thread knows the deal. I am also staying away from saying any brands name and comparing Salient to them as I believe that is not my place and it is not needed. I am not here to toss other companies under the "bus".

I hope some people will give us another chance even if that means buying a disc. When we get more discs out and give people more options I think you guys will be happy. Even if you dislike everything else we make, if you at least like the plastic I would be more than happy.

well you guys do make a nice looking backpack style bag, at a decent price. I just hope that someday I will be able to find a disc shoe in my large size that is affordable.

Leave Salient ALONE!

nice.

All im saying is that you guys (you know who you are) started bashing this guy for a shoe that was $95 shipped with no warranty. and you bitched and you bitched. then he adds a warranty that covers ANYTHING. and you can use it up to 3 times. now you bitch that its too much of a profit margin and the company is crap. make up your minds. do you want an inexpensive shoe? or do you want a company that will stand behind its product. I really dont get all the negative energy, sure, they made a bunch of mistakes early on, but I dont think it warrants the badgering that is occuring here on dgcr. it just makes you all look like *******s.

Hi Guys,
I really just want to get back to having this about the DGX. I'd like to have a nice calm thread about a product so people can come in get some info good and bad and move on. I'm not saying you guys can't chat about warranties and so on but after a page or 2 I think we all know where each person stands. Frankly I think this has been one of the more positive threads. There will always be issues and my goal is to do my best and help who I can. I appreciate all the constructive criticism because I can use this to implement changes in the future.

I have learned that as disc golfers and consumers in general we all like warranties. A warranty of any kind is better than none at all and we are taking this and will be implementing it on future products.

I appreciate each and every one of you coming on here and taking you time to read and reply in this thread. I can't and Salient can't learn if everyone stays quite.

So there are other shoes out there for 60 bucks a piece? What kind of warranty does Salomon offer on their $130 shoes?

There a ton of shoes out there for $60 or cheaper that would probably last as long, if not longer and look a heck of a lot better. And no clue on the warranty since I can't buy Salomons since I wear a size 15, and I do not like their thread design in that it does not come from the bottom of the shoe to the sides for more protection. That seem is always were the shoes fail.

I will answer that. It's only against manufacturing defects
U guys are a bunch of jerks picking on a company without even looking up the competition. .

https://www.salomon.com/us/warranty.html

I have been using what you would probably consider the competition for years now. Merrell, Keen, Nike, and Adidas. Each pair has failed on me and I have gotten replacements for free. Of all those companies I choose to use Keen because their warranty and return process is the simplest, they have the best quality and they are the only other shoe brand out there that make a shoe that is designed for disc golf. I have boughten 4 pairs of Keens in my life and have gotten 1 to 2 more pairs from each purchase because of the shoes failing. So spending $120 originally to get 2 to 3 pairs of shoes is darn good.

And horsman. What is REIs warranty now? One year. Right? Quit hating. Vote with ur wallet and don't buy it. Keep putting pandas on other peoples discs

And I know that REI changed their policy but I never used them since they didn't ever carry anything in a 15 that looked good. And I hate on salient because they hate on me, and I am here to remind people of what a horrible company they are. And I will not be purchasing anything from them ever again so dont worry.

nice.

All im saying is that you guys (you know who you are) started bashing this guy for a shoe that was $95 shipped with no warranty. and you bitched and you bitched. then he adds a warranty that covers ANYTHING. and you can use it up to 3 times. now you bitch that its too much of a profit margin and the company is crap. make up your minds. do you want an inexpensive shoe? or do you want a company that will stand behind its product. I really dont get all the negative energy, sure, they made a bunch of mistakes early on, but I dont think it warrants the badgering that is occuring here on dgcr. it just makes you all look like *******s.

You realize that a lot of voice our negative opinions about salient because we dont want the new comers to the site to be reading around, stumble upon salient and only see positive things about the company when that is no where near the case. People need to hear both sides of the story.

So If I understand this right, Disc golfers just buy one pair of shoes and then keep getting new ones for free via warranty when they WEAR THE DAMN THINGS OUT? ... :wall:

I am going to start a tire company and offer this type of warranty. Ill have the market dominated in a few years and be out of business soon after.

Last edited:
So If I understand this right, Disc golfers just buy one pair of shoes and then keep getting new ones for free via warranty when they WEAR THE DAMN THINGS OUT? ... :wall:

I am going to start a tire company and offer this type of warranty. Ill have the market dominated in a few years and be out of business soon after.

I only use the warranty on my shoes if it is within a reasonable amount of time. Like I have had a new pair of Keens for about a month now and the lugs are getting ripped off so I submit a warranty claim. If any shoe last me for 4 months or so, Im happy and I just buy another pair.

Thats great that you are honest about it. but most people,( the reason REI changed their policy) will just use the warranty when its time for a new pair. thats killer for a small business. I just think people see Salient, and immediately hate whatever it is. thats not fair to them. they are trying to listen to issues and resolve them. if you hate them then start a page or thread for that. dont just come into every salient thread and spew nonsense because you are butthurt.

Well if anyone has questions about the DGX just let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Hope everyone is have a good Tuesday.

I have been using what you would probably consider the competition for years now. Merrell, Keen, Nike, and Adidas. Each pair has failed on me and I have gotten replacements for free. Of all those companies I choose to use Keen because their warranty and return process is the simplest, they have the best quality and they are the only other shoe brand out there that make a shoe that is designed for disc golf. I have boughten 4 pairs of Keens in my life and have gotten 1 to 2 more pairs from each purchase because of the shoes failing. So spending $120 originally to get 2 to 3 pairs of shoes is darn good.

I only use the warranty on my shoes if it is within a reasonable amount of time. Like I have had a new pair of Keens for about a month now and the lugs are getting ripped off so I submit a warranty claim. If any shoe last me for 4 months or so, Im happy and I just buy another pair.

So let me get this straight...

* You have bought 4 pairs of Keens in your life
* You receive 1-2 more pairs PER PURCHASE of Keens
* You only use the warranty within a reasonable amount of time (1 month)
* So you buy a pair of Keens, they "last" you a month, and then you get 1 more pair, then they last a month, then you get another pair, which lasts you apparently more than a month.

Sounds like you love getting free shoes, aka abusing the system.

Again, DGers think they need such BA shoes because they abuse the shoes, and thus in turn abuse the warranty. You won't change my mind on that. This is precisely the reason why smaller companies cost more, and can't offer the same competitive price for their products. People that use a shoe for a month, and "like the shoe", but for some reason have so many warranty claims.

I hope REI does what a lot of stores are doing nowadays, and tracking customer returns to limit how much they can bring back in a fiscal year.

Salient, as a company, turns me off...so I won't buy the shoe. All this other stuff is dumb. Either buy them, or don't, and leave it at that.