• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Missilen (The Missile)

well this thing sounds like junk. i was interested in the concept but havent heard a promising review yet.

Box'o'Rocs, are you throwing it into the wind? If so, does it's speed cut through for more distance?

This "may" be an interesting option for into the wind forehand. Right now I'm using an overstable quantum Quasar, but it comes out of the anny I put on it pretty quickly, even into the wind. It will also rise more than I'd like into a gust of wind.

What I really want to know from someone on the plains... can it cut through big wind gusts and keep going without the "rise and quick fade"?

This Sunday, at a Denver tourney, my friend/rival was throwing his into the wind (he throws forehand) and it was handling it pretty well. There was one time when it really flipped on him, but I think that was more because we were all starting to get tired from the fairly long course, heat and just general drubbing of playing two rounds back to back. He really likes it and can throw it really far with his (normally) smooth backhand.

There were a few throws into the biggest gusts where the fade wasn't very big, but aside from the aforementioned torque-flip, it seemed to hold up really well.

And for the record, I can't throw the Misslen worth a damn.

Are the Missilen and X1 as similar as the chart suggests?

Box'o'Rocs, are you throwing it into the wind? If so, does it's speed cut through for more distance?

This "may" be an interesting option for into the wind forehand. Right now I'm using an overstable quantum Quasar, but it comes out of the anny I put on it pretty quickly, even into the wind. It will also rise more than I'd like into a gust of wind.

What I really want to know from someone on the plains... can it cut through big wind gusts and keep going without the "rise and quick fade"?

Yeah, seems like I'm always throwing in high wind, one of the problems of the plains. The missilen has definitely become one of my "go to's" in headwind, it stays straight until right at the very end and while it does turn at the end it doesn't hook the way most overstable discs do. I will say that in high (25-35mph) wind it can turn some but for the most part it's a good straight flyer in any condition.

I noticed that Jordan Castro was throwing the Missilen at Am Worlds. Not sure how often but maybe someone that was playing with him can comment.

I just got the missile this week and IMO it's the fastest disc I've ever thrown. I throw forehand and it'll get out there fast and keep moving. One of the best disc I've ever thrown forehand. As far as backhand it's way too over stable for me.

I just got the missile this week and IMO it's the fastest disc I've ever thrown. I throw forehand and it'll get out there fast and keep moving. One of the best disc I've ever thrown forehand. As far as backhand it's way too over stable for me.

was this an opto missilen or decodye?

The decodye is not stable enough for my forehand, but too fast for my backhand.

Picked one up today and threw it almost exclusively forehand. Limited throws, keep that in mind for this review.

I was able to hit my line and spot every time, something I have trouble with throwing most other discs forehand. Of course I am just learning the disc, so I am not going full power into it on top of that its overstability likely masked some form flaws. Regardless, it always hit the initial line I was looking for. It was fast and glidey and usually broke into its fade at a predictable time.

Still, it is a little too overstable for my usage. Maybe after it breaks in a little. For right now my Sword is a better forehand choice for me.

Another thing I noticed is that it does not take much in the way of dirt and mud to clog the hexes and make it impossible to clean. I am concerned that if mud and whatnot become packed in the hexes, will that not simply negate the positive effect of having those hexes there in the first place? The only way I got it cleaned when I got home was to acetone it out. Regular water and a paper towel was not good enough. I would hate to have an open field, grass-only driver.

I had the same issue with the hexes and dirt. One good mud hit and this thing would be a pain. That said, initial impression was overstable, but not a meathook. I'm usually good with a destroyer in headwinds or for long hyzers and the Missle has a good bit more HSS than that.

I'm all for supporting new ideas though, I'll keep it around as a curiosity at the least and work some forehand with it in the meantime.

I would to try it, sounds like it could be a great FH disc. If it's as fast a a rampage but more OS I might dig it.

Very surprised to see no one mentioned the Quest Raging Inferno DT - a dimpled disc.
Several years ago I found one at my local PIAS. The reason I never quite liked using the disc was having to clean out the dimples after every damn throw.
A friend of mine picked up the missile. I liked the feel of the plastic. Didn't get a chance to throw it though. He is a forehander (as am I) & a thumber. He said it was fairly beefy.

This seems like it would be a sweet disk for tomahawks/thumbers/overhand. Anybody have an feedback on how this disc works for these?

Overhand was horrible for these when I threw them. Flipped super fast and got next to no distance. Best thing for these is thrown hard on a slight anny, watch it ride out for about 375' then hook up for a big fade and skip back. I only have had about 15-20 throws with this though...only took 3 overhands before I decided never again.

Anyone thrown one of the Gold Hex Missilens? I love my 166g opto, and if it holds true to most of latitudes discs, a slightly less stable one would be great.

And for reference, I threw my longest ever flat ground shot at just under 500' the other day with my opto, but I average around 450-475' with it.

Chase, I hope you keep doing these, because the first 2 were pretty entertaining. I think you should do every single one from your lost and found stash.

I propose "DX Skeeter" for the next round.

I have been using my white 172g for the last few weeks and find it really overstable and stiff. It turns hard but skips well. I don't know if it will get beaten in to be too useful. The textured top is cool and the thumb grips do help hold onto it but it's ridiculously overstable. Haven't thrown tommies or thumbers but it is a good headwind fighter.