• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Missilen (The Missile)

Has anyone tried the missilen for rollers, be it forehand or backhand? In theory it would seem the dimple design would be ideal for rollers has it unequivocally makes the disc faster, the aerodynamic theory is sound (there's been a TON of testing on this for golf-balls computers can now model the fluid dynamics well-enough to do some real research on it)

But the major downside obviously is it gets less lift, which isn't so good for flying discs. But Rolling.. lift actually could be a detriment making it harder to balance the forces pulling it from one side to other.

So in a way all the factors here should help rollers and get no negatives. In theory that is. I think this design will the be the long straight distance rollers of the future.

Half the forehands I threw with it ended up being rollers haha. But it's not that great at them. The wing is too sharp to be a great roller.

In my experience a more blunted rim like a Firebird or Trident is easier to roll.

Has anyone tried the missilen for rollers, be it forehand or backhand? In theory it would seem the dimple design would be ideal for rollers has it unequivocally makes the disc faster, the aerodynamic theory is sound (there's been a TON of testing on this for golf-balls computers can now model the fluid dynamics well-enough to do some real research on it)

But the major downside obviously is it gets less lift, which isn't so good for flying discs. But Rolling.. lift actually could be a detriment making it harder to balance the forces pulling it from one side to other.

So in a way all the factors here should help rollers and get no negatives. In theory that is. I think this design will the be the long straight distance rollers of the future.

I like the way you think!

I picked up a used Opto, 173g I think. Ugh, what a weird disc. It's really fast, fairly overstable and extremely lacking in glide. I don't have the arm to really get any distance boost out of it but if I did, it'd be interesting for accurate long drives. The lack of glide makes it seem strangely controllable despite the huge rim.

Missilen

I picked up a used Opto, 173g I think. Ugh, what a weird disc. It's really fast, fairly overstable and extremely lacking in glide. I don't have the arm to really get any distance boost out of it but if I did, it'd be interesting for accurate long drives. The lack of glide makes it seem strangely controllable despite the huge rim.

I've thrown 3 opto Missilens and I agree. Very flat, fast, and little glide. 1 of the 3 actually had some high speed turn and would go decently far. Still, the lack of glide affected overall distance.

It is actually very controllable. You know the Missilen isn't going to flip or get tossed around randomly in the wind.

To me it seems like a faster, longer Flick. Not a disc I'd bag, but if I absolutely had to I could use it well for headwinds or other overstable purposes.

If you want a similar disc for longer bombs, try the Raketen. Much better glide and distance.

I have both the Missilen and the Raketen. Love both and I'm not much experienced but both get me great distance forehand and don't seem too bad as far as stability goes. Backhand wise I can't seem to control them as much as I can forehand. I tried rolling them as well and as soon as they hit the ground they seem to either just drop there or maybe a small roll. They both are great for head wind.

So I found one of these a couple years ago when I first started and put it away since it wasn't a disc I ever thought I'd be strong enough to throw. But this past week, I've been working on learning a forehand drive and this morning, I brought out all of my distance drivers for practice. After I started hitting some big drives with my destroyer and cranks, I pulled out this missilen and told my daughter, "watch this, I can never get this disc to go anywhere (backhand)" and proceeded to throw the biggest bomb I've ever thrown and then repeated it. I am still in shock but going out again to see if I can repeat the results. Either my arm got a lot stronger (I have been playing regularly the past few weeks) which explains my improvement with my machete or I got lucky this morning. I'd be pretty thrilled if I actually am strong enough for this disc!

So I found one of these a couple years ago when I first started and put it away since it wasn't a disc I ever thought I'd be strong enough to throw. But this past week, I've been working on learning a forehand drive and this morning, I brought out all of my distance drivers for practice. After I started hitting some big drives with my destroyer and cranks, I pulled out this missilen and told my daughter, "watch this, I can never get this disc to go anywhere (backhand)" and proceeded to throw the biggest bomb I've ever thrown and then repeated it. I am still in shock but going out again to see if I can repeat the results. Either my arm got a lot stronger (I have been playing regularly the past few weeks) which explains my improvement with my machete or I got lucky this morning. I'd be pretty thrilled if I actually am strong enough for this disc!

Missilens are a little weird for me. I have about a half dozen of them. A couple fly pretty overstable, to the point they don't have any high speed turn. The Missilen in general seems to lack glide and have a lot of late fade. Its never been one of my longer discs. They're lightning fast though. If I throw one of my flippier Missilens it'll still go over 400' easily despite not gliding that well.

In the field the Missilen was generally shorter than other drivers of similar speed.

If you like the Missilen and want something with more glide and more high speed turn, try the Raketen. I have one of those and it'll hang with anything out there for sheer distance. Its somewhat flippy and absolutely bombs.

Also, it really does feel good to massacre a driver for huge distance that you hadn't been able to throw well prior.

Last edited:
If you like the Missilen and want something with more glide and more high speed turn, try the Raketen. I have one of those and it'll hang with anything out there for sheer distance. Its somewhat flippy and absolutely bombs.

Also, it really does feel good to massacre a driver for huge distance that you hadn't been able to throw well prior.

It really does feel like quite an accomplishment! I'll keep the raketen in mind in the future. Right now, aside from my forehand revelation, I have been really trying to hammer down what I can do with the discs I have and try to get the most out of those before trying out new molds. I'm kind of shocked by the missilen and while I never considered bagging it before, I definitely plan to do some more tests with it.

It really does feel like quite an accomplishment! I'll keep the raketen in mind in the future. Right now, aside from my forehand revelation, I have been really trying to hammer down what I can do with the discs I have and try to get the most out of those before trying out new molds. I'm kind of shocked by the missilen and while I never considered bagging it before, I definitely plan to do some more tests with it.

The Missilen seems to work well for headwinds. It'll penetrate well. I don't really have a spot for it in my bag, but I still think it has use.

Its one of the fastest, sleekest drivers on the market. Legit speed 14.

I had a Missilen for awhile when they first came out. It was a little more sensitive/easier to get the nose up than they Destroyer I typically threw. Would also flex out to the left a loooong way with any headwind(RHFH). And the fade was pretty dumpy even if it did flex left. But it was free distance when I caught it right....