• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Montreal or Maine

whitefedora

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So my wife and I are either going to Maine or Montréal for a getaway weekend (this summer) and she said we could a couple courses during it. I know Maine has some great courses, but here are my questions-

1)What is the best course in the Montréal area to play? DGCR doesn't have a ton of info on Canadian courses typically.

2)If I go to Maine, what is the have to play course to go to?

3)If you could pick between what I assume will be the better course/hiking in Maine or Montréal where we can pass through some sweet breweries in Vermont, what would you pick?

Montreal is a fantastic city. One of the truly coolest cities in the world, in my opinion. There is a ton of things to do, including fantastic outdoor recreation. But, it is indeed a very big, old city. If you are looking for purely outdoor pursuits, Maine might be a great option. I have not played around Montreal.

Montreal is awesome! i didn't get to golf but the city is very cool. also one of the few places that white males can go to experience prejudice, they locals don't take kindly to anglophones. that said, it won't ruin your trip.

obviously, Maine has way more and way better courses. plus, you could hit Maple Hill on the way.

Montreal is a fantastic city. One of the truly coolest cities in the world, in my opinion. There is a ton of things to do, including fantastic outdoor recreation. But, it is indeed a very big, old city. If you are looking for purely outdoor pursuits, Maine might be a great option. I have not played around Montreal.

Second (or third) this. Beautiful city. I was there in May 2009 and had some fantastic weather. At the time, and it may still be this way, the only course in the city was a fairly dinky 10 hole course around a city park. I did however meet fellow disc golfers that i played a couple holes with. They play alot safari as you might guess. As far as unlisted courses I have no idea.

I had a free day and my assessment was that my best shot at a great golf experience was to cross back into the great Ole' US of A and play Black Falls in VT. Just looking over the map it looks like they've added several courses within a couple hours on Montreal.

Sorry, I know very little about living in Maine. Only went once as a kid. Good luck!

Black Falls is about an hour and twenty from Montreal. Directly south about half an hour is the excellent Brewster Ridge. Even better is North Calais(the best kept secret in all of disc golf). There are some great breweries around and in between these courses. Three excellent courses and great breweries could make for a nice side trip.

Depends on where you go in Maine but sabattus eagle and porcupine ridge in augusta are the must plays

Johnny is spot on! Skip Maine and go for VT! Black Falls, Brewster Ridge and N.Calais are among the best in New England! and Montreal is easy to get to from anywhere around Northern VT... that said if you do go to Maine, Sabattus is a must, with three different layouts and fourth pitch and putt, it's a Disc Golf wonderland. If you stay in the Freeport/ Topsam area you're near a bunch of good courses and LL Bean and the outlet stores (wife can shop while you throw, if she doesn't play). Near there is also Acker Acres, which has two nice courses through the woods, and you're always near Dragan and Enman Field both having a couple different layouts...And, I haven't been there yet but have heard good things about Bittersweet Ridge...

I second everything listed by TeeSquared. I moved up to Portland two years ago and have not played Sabattus but it is on the must play list this summer. If you want some beach time check out Popham Beach State Park.

Johnny is spot on! Skip Maine and go for VT! Black Falls, Brewster Ridge and N.Calais are among the best in New England! and Montreal is easy to get to from anywhere around Northern VT... that said if you do go to Maine, Sabattus is a must, with three different layouts and fourth pitch and putt, it's a Disc Golf wonderland. If you stay in the Freeport/ Topsam area you're near a bunch of good courses and LL Bean and the outlet stores (wife can shop while you throw, if she doesn't play). Near there is also Acker Acres, which has two nice courses through the woods, and you're always near Dragan and Enman Field both having a couple different layouts...And, I haven't been there yet but have heard good things about Bittersweet Ridge...

bittersweet ridge yes. enman i dont know. when i was last there, it was under construction of some sort. it may be playable again, but i wouldnt go out of your way unless someone confirms that it is all fixed up.

I appreciate all the advice everyone! Vermont does look like some great golfing and still would be fun for the wife to experience Montreal. I'm going to present the two options though and let her decide, but I imagine she'll be most excited about Montreal.

Latest posts