• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mulligans: What is your philosophy

What is your philosophy on Mulligans

• I will empty my bag on every shot if I have to.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I am not going to use it on every shot, maybe one every other hole or so.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I try to limit my self to obvious errors on the tee and putting maybe two per nine.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • Only if i end up OB or i see i have a very obstructed lie i will go ahead and do it. 1 - 2 a round

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • They leave a bad taste in my mouth but I will reshoot shots that end up in the water

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I play tournament level all the time, but i wont call out cardmates if playing casual

Votes: 38 25.0%
  • Mulligans are for weaklings, and you should be ashamed at your self if you use them.

Votes: 48 31.6%

• Total voters
Extra shots for practice are not mulligans.

Practice shots help you get better.

Lying to yourself about your score doesn't.

:clap:

Sometimes if it's a casual round and my group doesn't quite feel warmed up enough, we take "2 off 1". Other than that, I never take mulligans, only the occasional extra practice shot.

:clap:

Sometimes if it's a casual round and my group doesn't quite feel warmed up enough, we take "2 off 1". Other than that, I never take mulligans, only the occasional extra practice shot.

When I play alone, I take LOTS of practice shots. I keep score with my first, if at all. Or, if I have a good first few holes, I will stop with the practice shots entirely unless I have fallen off my record pace, etc.

I throw LOTS of extra shots though, if the course is quiet. I like to practice. And I Really like just watching frisbees fly.

When I play alone, I take LOTS of practice shots.

Same. I almost never score solo rounds either, unless I go to the course with the intent to keep score. Just use the time on the course to practice if I'm on my own. I will say though that if I had scored my practice round last night I would have a new PB on that course from short tees (I rarely play shorts, but tournament this weekend will be using shorts for 1 round)

When I play alone, I take LOTS of practice shots. I keep score with my first, if at all. Or, if I have a good first few holes, I will stop with the practice shots entirely unless I have fallen off my record pace, etc.

I throw LOTS of extra shots though, if the course is quiet. I like to practice. And I Really like just watching frisbees fly.

This is exactly my approach to my home course. I throw fewer extra practice shots on courses I'm not as familiar with for fear of losing discs. If I keep score, it's with the first disc from every tee.

My favorite thing to do is unload all 20+ discs on an open hole with a basket in the 270-275' range. That way every shot is close enough to the basket where I can get a pretty good estimation of how far and accurately they flew.

My attitude towards mulligans is the same as my attitude toward gimmes. If there's something on the line or if there's competition going on, no. If we're just goofing, fine. I'm more about pretty lines than score cards.

What I don't like is someone giving me a gimme. I don't drop every putt but I prefer to bang the chains myself.

In casual play take all the mulligans you wish, but then you don't get to say much about your score. I occasionally used to play with a guy who always was taking mulligans but then suddenly one day was talking about the course breaking round he had thrown. I know what kind of a player he was and there was no way he shot the score he claimed.

Mulligans are for weaklings...

Had to choose that one. My local 9 hole can be brutal and the closet 18 hole is pretty easy my (rec player) record on both happens to be +5 . Last weekend I was out at the 9 hole took a half-heartedl toss at an easy 3 footer and nerfed it on hole 3. Finished the round at +5 could have had a new record but mulligans are for weaklings

….at least as for philosophy. As for preference, I rarely throw mulligans.

As for what's correct for people not competing with me, or what constitutes having fun for people who aren't me, I haven't a clue.

Crowded course on Saturday morning... the 5 guys in front of you are throwing mulligans off the tee of every hole, searching for their discs... you finally get to play through on 6.

I'll go ahead and be that "get off my lawn" old man and give some advise... you will become a much better disc golfer if you never use mulligans. Concentrate to improve your game on every shot. You might also realize what kind of disc golfer you really are now. I see a lot of guys taking mulligans on half the holes on the course bragging about shooting 5 under par... SMH

What if they're not trying to "become a much better disc golfer"?

Or, at least, not that particular round?

Unless they're slowing you down (your prior post), or their claimed score is in competition with you, why would you care?

What if they're not trying to "become a much better disc golfer"?

Or, at least, not that particular round?

Unless they're slowing you down (your prior post), or their claimed score is in competition with you, why would you care?
I don't really care, even if they could actually shoot 20 under or over par, it's the big "show" of it that is comical. I shake my head and snicker at their bravado of false skill. I know you don't live in Texas. Some of these guys are as funny as a frilled lizard.

Last edited:
Me and the people I have played with never throw mulligans as part of our score but many of us always, or almost always, will throw extra shots off the tee or from the fairway during a casual round.
When I'm alone I always throw extra shots, like others have said, I love throwing frisbees.

I don't play competitive anymore, or rarely do, so mine is just for fun. If I do end up knowing my score it's because someone else was keeping track or I'm able to go back over my round and figure it out. Too many bogies means I won't know my score. ;)