• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Multiples of the Same Mold

aceshyze

Bogey Member
Since I've started playing, I've slowly amassed a decent little collection of discs. I've come across a bunch of molds that I really like, but I only have one of any of the molds I have. For what reasons do you get multiples of the same mold, and for which discs do you do it?

I have multiples of almost all my molds. And I definitely have multiples of all the molds in my bag. The one type of disc you NEED a few of is your putting putter. It makes putting practice that much more effective.

get a mold in different stages of wear. a broken in disc will cover a more understable shot, and a fresh version will cover stable to overstable duties.
what discs do you have that you like?

get a mold in different stages of wear. a broken in disc will cover a more understable shot, and a fresh version will cover stable to overstable duties.
what discs do you have that you like?

My bag at the moment is Neutron Volt, DX Eagle, Glo Teebird, DX Whippet, Z Wasp, ESP Buzzz, ESP Meteor and Medium Magic

i have a backup for every disc in my bag. I take that extra bag worth of discs to tournaments with me. Nothing worse than loosing your distance driver and not having one in the bag for round 2. Takes you out of your game for sure.

Wow! I got a lot to learn....

I do have multiple Sharks, Valkyries, and Aviars, that's it, and the Sharks were because I bought 3 to play with my kids years ago, and I found the 2nd Aviar and the 2nd and 3rd Valks.

I am impressed when people post "I bought 3 new whatevers."

I have multiples of just about everything. There are two main reasons for multiples. First, it makes practice easier. Whether it's field throws or putting, being able to throw multiple times before going to retrieve discs means you get more out of practice. Second, it's always good to have backups just in case.

I play with few molds, with many multiples copies of each.

I have multiples mostly for practice purposes, since I am still learning.

They are also helpful, as mentioned above, so you can play discs in various stages of wear.

Also, you will learn alot by learning to throw all shots with one mold rather than relying on a disc for each situation.

It would also help with consistency.

Oh, there's one other reason for multiples. When I find a mold I like, I like to try it in a variety of plastics. I tend to stick mainly to one plastic as my preference for each mold, but it's nice to try the others as well.

You're doing fine Monkeypaws.

You don't need multiples, it's just nice to have some should you lose a disc, especially if you're playing a tourney. The putters some in handy, but you already have 2 Aviars, so that's fine. It's just more effective to practice putting and not have to walk to the basket so many times to fetch your discs. You can get more reps if you have 4-5 of the same putter.

Many experienced players use multiples so that they can throw a few molds, but cover many shots with those select molds. Watch the pros "in the bag" videos. Most of them carry more than one of each disc, in varying degrees of wear. (This is what Kaiser Flipping was alluding to)

Edit: Looks like a couple posters said basically the same thing while I was typing my post. :)

i like molds in different weights too for varying wind and elevation changes etc.

I carry 4 tee birds... All in different stages of wear. All fly differently. I carry two saints, my primary driver, just in case.

I have multiple putters for practice and also to rotate so that they don't get beat in too quickly.
I have a bunch of different teebirds in varying plastics, weights and stages of wear. I can cover under to over stable with a combination of the previous variables. Having a stack for field practice is a plus and having backups is definitely good too.
I don't have many multiples of my mids because there is usually less of a chance that I will lose one.

When I started, I had a small hodgepodge of discs - ones that I bought because I thought the name was cool, ones that I found and ones given to me. Eventually, I found "that disc" - the one that fit my most natural throwing motion. I bought a x-out champ firebird. I played several months with it, and my game grew by leaps and bounds. I then threw it on UNC #3. Got it stuck on the tree. :doh:Threw rocks at it for 30 minutes before knocking it into the pond. :wall:Had to wade in (in a brisk November drizzle) and it took about 5 minutes of feeling with my toes to recover it. Fortunately, no one thought to bust out the cell phone to document the occasion. Shortly afterwards I got a back-up. Now, 2 years later, I carry 5 firebirds, have 1 more completing the dying process. I am also about to add 2 xXx. I have learned the nuances between the FB molds (11x, 12x, star and glow). On my home course, I know which specific disc to throw on each hole. I have back-up discs for the 5 primary discs that I throw. I do add in a disc from time to time. If it works out, I try to get a back-up. If you're able to, get a back-up. If not, don't sweat it!

When I cash in tournaments I pick up backups of the molds I already throw. I like to beat in extras so if I lose a worn in disc out of my bag I have another ready. I mostly stock wizards and rocs, those are the discs I throw the most and I don't see them getting replaced. I have 50ish wizards and 25ish rocs.

We all know discs are inconsistent, if you only ever have one [driver A] and you lose it and get a new [driver A], the chances of it flying the same are pretty low, especially if you had the first one for a while. So if you pack 2 or 3 of [driver A] in your bag with some variation of weights and plastics then you get a better feel for the mold overall, and you get more shots covered by discs that feel the same in your hand.

I throw two Lat64 drivers, and having them in Opto and GL gets me predictable variations in stabilities. I know my GL Saint has more turn and if I keep it low, nearly no fade, so I can pump it low and hard on tunnel shots, but my Opto only turns a little and fades reliably, so for safe hyzers or shots in the open when I wanna put more mustard on it, I'll use that one. It's a bit lighter at 164g, so if it's windy I have a heavy opto that will turn but fight back in a moderate wind, or fly more overstable in calm conditions.

Or, for Firebirds, they're both Champion, but I have a domey one and a flat one. The domey one is my strong wind driver, dogleg disc, etc. The flat one is purely for utility, it's so overstable that it's all but useless to me on a BH air shot, even in a strong wind.

What I was going to say has already been said. It is beneficial to carry 2 or 3 (or 4, I carry 4 rocs in different stages of wear) of the same mold in different stages of wear. It cuts down on molds and lets you throw a disc you are already comfortable with for different shots.

We all know discs are inconsistent, if you only ever have one [driver A] and you lose it and get a new [driver A], the chances of it flying the same are pretty low, especially if you had the first one for a while.

You must not throw MVP.
;)

You must not throw MVP.
;)

I carry 2 Axis in the bag because they fly different and the familiar shape makes it easy to be consistent with the release.

Also carry 2 Teebirds, 2 Flows, and 2 Aviars for the same reason

Latest posts